Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

..::Attention New Yorkers::.. Inspection Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..::Attention New Yorkers::.. Inspection Question

I previously have not spent much time in this forum, but don't get used to it! Theres alot of great information so I thank you all in advance for the info i have gotten from here. I have a minor dilemma. I live in New York. I am in need of an inspection by the end of the month. I have a 1998 civic ex. I am running a 1995 JDM B16a Sir II motor however. I am running an obdIIa -> ObdI conversion harness to run the obd1 jdm computer. Will this pass inspection? I have heard that for all obd2 vehicles the inspector has to plug into the diagnostic port in the ecu...however, as we all know, (one of the many joys of obd1), there is no diagnostic port. I am thinking though that the inspection will just look on the dash to make sure the computer isn't throwing a code. If anyone can offer some sort of insight, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ..::Attention New Yorkers::.. Inspection Question (MrCivic98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrCivic98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I previously have not spent much time in this forum, but don't get used to it! Theres alot of great information so I thank you all in advance for the info i have gotten from here. I have a minor dilemma. I live in New York. I am in need of an inspection by the end of the month. I have a 1998 civic ex. I am running a 1995 JDM B16a Sir II motor however. I am running an obdIIa -&gt; ObdI conversion harness to run the obd1 jdm computer. Will this pass inspection? I have heard that for all obd2 vehicles the inspector has to plug into the diagnostic port in the ecu...however, as we all know, (one of the many joys of obd1), there is no diagnostic port. I am thinking though that the inspection will just look on the dash to make sure the computer isn't throwing a code. If anyone can offer some sort of insight, it would be greatly appreciated!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You won't pass. Since your car is obd2 once they plug the connector to the port it won't get any readings because you're using an OBD1 Engine and ECU. Its a little bit more than just checking to see if they're any codes, once they plug it in it their computers will automatically check emission sensors etc to see if the car is compliant.

In NY State,

OBD1 goes through the old sniffer and rollers while OBD2 vehicles have to go through the ECU port plug in.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:36 AM
cute little bastard

I thought theres no way to pass emissions with a older engine in a newer car...?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ..::Attention New Yorkers::.. Inspection Question (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought theres no way to pass emissions with a older engine in a newer car...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Technically you're not suppose to because it's illegal. But either way, once they try to plug the car to the computer it won't get a reading anyway because of the older engine and ecu thus failing.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: ..::Attention New Yorkers::.. Inspection Question (saxqtzk)

wow thats kind of unfortunate...lol guess ill have to try and find a way to figure this out...thanks for the insight guys, i appreciate it

edit: any ideas?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i had to convert back to obd2, just so i could get plugged in and fail. i dont care, for the money it would cost to make my car legitimatly pass, i could have like 3 or 4 illegal inspection tickets. ill take my chances
Old 09-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ..::Attention New Yorkers::.. Inspection Question (blackeg)

You should have no problems converting your car to obd2. You can run obd2 with the ex computer. You'll have to change the oil pump to a 96, plus get all the sensors that goes on the oil pump. You will also make sure that your secondary o2 sensor is hook up and all sensors ....

Hit me up with a Pm.........