Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD reader "Connection Failed"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:41 PM
daf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD reader "Connection Failed"?

I drive a 98 civic EX with a jdm B16a OBD II SiR II swap.

I cant pass my emissions cause I keep getting a "Connection Failed" and I dont know why. No check engine lights, the car is running great.

I just need it to atleast tell the emissions machine that I faild or something so I can get an exemption.

Does anyone know why it is not conncting?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: OBD reader "Connection Failed"? (daf)

You need an USDM ecu. JDM ecu's and chipped ecus cant be read.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

isn't the sir2 obd1?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD reader "Connection Failed"? (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isn't the sir2 obd1?</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said it was OBD-2. I think Luserkid is on the dot..try a USDM ECU from a EM1 or a 96 and later Del Sol VTEC.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isn't the sir2 obd1?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, the b16a sirII's come from 92-95 civics and are OBD1
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need an USDM ecu. </TD></TR></TABLE>
And honda OBDII jdm ecu's should be able to be read.

I have the same problem and have tried swapping out ecu's, checked for blown fuses, and checked all the wiring going to the connecter... still nothing. So im not sure what im going to do. I just dont want to get that $200 fine in the mail.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OBD reader "Connection Failed"? (SPOON civic EK)

Sorry, but JDM OBDII ECU's can't be read by USDM scantools. No room for debate here.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 PM

Thats because the JDM ecu is NOT OBDII, OBDII is us markey only........
Old 12-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (API Tech)

Yeah has the OBD2 connectors, doesn't speak the OBD2 language though. I'm using a US GSR ECU to get through emission on my R swap.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM
daf

The swap is out of a 97 EK4. And I was able to use my 98 EX wiring harness so I know its a OBD II. My plate even says SiR II.

If it is the ECU issue, Ill see if I can barrow a USDM ECU to try it out. I appriciate it guys. Will a GSR ECU work fine too?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will a GSR ECU work fine too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you best chances are to run an EM1 ECU
Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 PM

i believe i cant read my ecu. hondata. with the scanner for emissions. ima deff. look into that.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD reader "Connection Failed"? (mastakmk)

Hondata's are by definition OBD1 (or earlier) aren't they? Which means you can't read them with an OBD2 scanner.

As far as using a GSR ECU. I see that the short term fuel trim's pretty hight but, the ECU is compensating properly for it so, I'm not getting any mixture CEL's. I just don't go into Vtec 'cause I'm not clear if NOT having an IAB would cause a CEL.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 AM
daf

Default Re: OBD reader "Connection Failed"? (MasterKwan)

From what I hear, which Im pretty sure that its not right, but I can use any OBD2a Vtec ECU. Ill probly look for a SI though, I am just trying to make sure I can keep my spectrum wide.

As far as making sure I dont go in to Vtec, I have a Vcon, so I dont need to worry about that, I can just turn it off, but I generally dont do that unless I am the highway.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What API said about the OBD2 stuff is true. OBD2, with respect to emissions, doesn't exist over in Japan. OBD2, with respect to the ECU connectors, does however.

So since you don't really have an OBD2 swap but need to use an OBD2 ECU (like the Si), then you need to make sure you're giving that ECU all the required inputs so that you don't end up with a CEL. One of which is the CKF sensor located by the oil pump. Another is the FTP (fuel tank pressure) sensor....which I'm pretty sure your Ex has, but just make sure about it.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD reader "Connection Failed"? (EE_Chris)

I ended up installing the CFK sensor on my swap to bring it up to OBD2 motor specs. You have to change some plastic and the oil pump and change the lower crank pully (the timing belt one).

Since the SI doesn't have an IAB, it would be a better choice for ECU but, I don't have one so, beggers can't be choosers.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM

The ECU connector has nothing to do w/ OBDII. The people on the boards regard 88-91 as "OBD-0" or "pre-OBD", it is in fact OBD1, (On Board Diagnostics). Any vehicle that can self diagnose a faulty component or system has a OBD1. In 1996 it was madated that all US cars use OBDII software. This is just a standardized version of OBD that monitors more emmision components. Japan does NOT use OBDII, (though they are soon going to). So a "OBDIIa" JDM ECU is actually OBD1. The is not a or b, only OBD1 or OBD2. No more, no less.

Honda people just assume the PLUG DESIGN constitutes a change in OBD version. Sorry, the world does not revolve around Honda. If in fact OBD versions were based on plug design, your 98 ford focus ecu would plug into a 98 civic.

This is a FACT, please do not give uneducated rebuttles, GOOGLE it or something......
Old 12-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure who you're directing your comments at. I don't think anyone's arguing with you here.

Technically you're correct about the connector but, I always ID a US ECU by it's connector so, it's safe to say a US ECU is OBD1/OBD2A/B depending on what connector it has. Sure, it doesn't apply to JDM ECU's.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:07 PM
daf

I didnt know that API Tech. I appriciate it. The reason behind me thinking of my ECU the way I did is because my buddies 01 ITR which has OBDIIb has a diffrent ECU back on it then my car.

I really appricate the input. Since they change the emissions computers here in NC, it has made it a bitch to pass. Apparently they updated so that even OBDIIa reads back to the computer the car's VIN number. Looks like I have to get a SI ECU and deal with DMV BS. Oh well.

I know when I did my swap, I had 3 plugs that didnt go anywhere. One was for the Vtec Oil Pressure switch, which the JDM SiR doesnt have one, the CKF, and one mystery plug. I have been told it was for everything from the Injector driver to the Evap control. It pluged in to something on my fuel rail. I suppose this is the fuel pressure sensor thing you guys spoke of.

Looks like I get to try and find a wreched SI now, fun fun, lol. I really appricate the help guys.

Oh, and one more thing... You said that the JDM ecu is really a OBD I ecu.... does that mean I can chip it?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by API Tech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a FACT, please do not give uneducated rebuttles, GOOGLE it or something......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Was this for me?

I never said an ECU's OBD version can be identified by its connectors. When Honda people think of an OBD2 ECU connector, a certain image comes to mind. That image happens to be shared with certain JDM ECU connectors, despite the fact that they don't actually have OBD2 software.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

I don't believe a Honda ECU has the VIN encoded in it. I know some US ECU's do though (Ford). Here in VA, all they're looking for is "Readyness" which means the ECU thinks the emissions are OK. That's my goal, making my ECU show "Readyness". It requres that you have no CEL's and a certain number of drive cycles.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 AM
daf

Default Re: (MasterKwan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MasterKwan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't believe a Honda ECU has the VIN encoded in it. I know some US ECU's do though (Ford). Here in VA, all they're looking for is "Readyness" which means the ECU thinks the emissions are OK. That's my goal, making my ECU show "Readyness". It requres that you have no CEL's and a certain number of drive cycles. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is how it use to be, then they had a lot of problems with guys, like one of my buddies, would run the next car that passed twice, so you can pass. I am not sure that it is true, cause from what I understood, vin numbers being placed in your ECU didnt really start until OBDIIb.