Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic struggles to stay running and has smoke coming out of the intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 95 Civic struggles to stay running and has smoke coming out of the intake

Hello so i have a 95 civic coupe with a d16z6 in it and live in oregon. recently it has been hotter than usual and my car just started having problems today. I was driving it in the am and it ran just fine no issues, i stopped and filled it up before going to some appointments i had to do today. On my way home after driving it for about 2 hours or so my car started to die on me when i would start going from a red light. It continued to get worse until it finally died on me. I was able to get it started again and baby it home about 12 miles or so.(it takes a while longer to start than usual) When i got it home i popped the hood and it smelled really bad like super hot antifreeze. I waited for it to cool down and checked my radiator which was only a little low. I was thinking maybe my thermostat was malfunctioning on my so i replaced it. Started up my car and when i give it gas (revving it up) from a idle it will start to choke and try to die, if i do not let off it will actually die on my and smoke come out of my intake tube. I have checked my plugs and the cap and rotor to see if they were bad/ burnt but they were all in good condition. I am running out of ideas on what might be the problem. I limped it to a family mechanic to have him check it but he was super busy and said possibly the cat which was just replaced (magnaflow) for emissions, and when i told him this he said maybe the fuel pump is going out, but he will not be able to check until monday. I am trying to find possibility's in what else it may be. Please help
Old 09-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: car wants to die plz help

Is the engine now overheating? Are you watching the cluster temp gauge?

smoke come out of my intake tube
Check the mechanical timing and compression test the cylinders.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic struggles to stay running and has smoke coming out of the intake

so the engine is not overheating according to the temp gauge, it runs fine just takes a little for it to start. when you step on the gas it starts to cut out, you can drive it if you baby the car. It almost seems like its starving for fuel.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic struggles to stay running and has smoke coming out of the intake

NVM I thought i could help but i'm about to pass out and im not reading things right lol
Old 09-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would clean the IACV. See FAQ's. Also the FITV if you have a cold start problem.
Do you have any CEL codes?
If you think it's starving for fuel it might be the fuel filter or the fuel pump strainer.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there are no CEL, just replaced my fuel pump a few months ago and its a hard start even after you have had it running for a bit. what does the FITV do?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i meant to say i replaced my fuel filter not the pump
Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IACV = Idle Air Control Valve
FITV = Fast Idle Thermo Valve

Lets start when you first stick the key in the ignition and start the car. You may notice that the car idles higher when the temperature gauge needle is on "C" or cold rather then when its at normal running temperature. The reason behind the engine idling higher is to get the key point for the proper mixture of air and fuel. The engine idles higher until the engine has reached that warmed up destination. The device that controls that idle while the car is cold, is the FITV. Air enters through the filter into the TB chamber where it hits two holes. One passage is for the FITV the other passage is for the IACV. The FITV consist of a valve, a plunger, and a thermostat. While the engine is cold the thermostat is wide open allowing the plunger to be down, opening the valve to its widest point, so the car is able to idle at a higher revolution. As the temperature of the engine rises the thermostat in the FITV closes depressing the plunger and closing the valve. As the valve closes vacuum and idle passes over the IACV. The device that controls the idle when the car has reached the proper running temperature. Now that the passage for the FITV is closed all air entering the TB chamber is stopped at the FITV and then back flows to the IACV.

You you need to do any more reading here's the site.
http://www.acuraworld.com/index_file...dle%20Fix.html

Google Magic at its Finest People.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks all for the help and ideas. After all it was the dizzy, got a new one tossed it in there and now it runs like the day i got the car. Thanks again for all the help
Old 09-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What made you choose to replace the dizzy? Did it have condensation/grease in it? Mine sure did when I replaced it (well I simply replaced the cap.)

Make sure you topped up your radiator as well and bled any air bubbles out. Just a little precautionary measure.