Notices

yeah im new to forced induction, help me out

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default yeah im new to forced induction, help me out

ok ill start off with my setup... doing the basic junkyard turbo set up.

90 civic si, bone stock d16a6 aside from recently replaced clutch (used an exedy kit)

STD manifold
garret m27 turbo
b&m FPR
dsm 450cc
1g dsm bov
FMIC
2.5 charge pipes

what im stuck on is the wastegate/boost controller stuff. ive searched and searched but i just cant find any info on what to do and where to go. fabrication is no problem is it just figuring out what does what.

instead of the wastegate i see on most turbos i have this hole, does this mean i have an internal wastegate? how much pressure will this turbo put out since there isn't anything keeping the wastegate closed. how do i control boost with this set up? here are some pictures please help.

yeah im a super-noob i know it.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: yeah im new to forced induction, help me out (AJxr)

looks like whoever you bought the turbo from removed the internal wastegate. internal gates are usually set right out of the box to hold a set amount of boost, but it can be manually adjusted, or manualy *sp?/electronically controlled via a boost controller.

you should do fine with a tial 38mm
Old 01-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yeah im new to forced induction, help me out (yehiknowrite)

hmm, i just looked up prices on the 38mm and they run about 200 which is 4x more then i paid for the turbo, if it came down to getting that wastegate i would rather just buy a different turbo... any other suggestions.

so far i have about $250 into this project and its more of a see how much boost i can run for $300, not going for super performance here but would like to run 6-7psi.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, also if i run an external wastegate do i delete the port where the old wastegate was or leave it open?
Old 01-03-2006, 04:12 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

find out what car the turbo came from and get the internal gate. when the buicks used to rip the diaphram, we could just get another internal gate.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a wastegate actuator/arm/and the flap assembly at a junkyard or online or somethin, cheapest way to go.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See if this answeres any of your questions. It was a big help when I turbo'ed my ITR. Ignore all of the tuning stuff however, it is out of date. Try Crome or Uberdata if you want to go on the cheap side.

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html
Old 01-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can either weld that hole shut, get a new manifold, and run an external wastegate set at a certain PSI that you want to run(different springs for different amounts of boost), and that would regulate your boost.

or you could find what car that came off of and get the internal wastegate and bracket and hook it up and find out how much boost its set at to put out stock
Old 01-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AJxr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, i just looked up prices on the 38mm and they run about 200 which is 4x more then i paid for the turbo, if it came down to getting that wastegate i would rather just buy a different turbo... any other suggestions.

so far i have about $250 into this project and its more of a see how much boost i can run for $300, not going for super performance here but would like to run 6-7psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So far you have a game of "see how cheap I can blow up my engine"... You still have no form of fuel management in your list. Honestly, trying to play the "cheap" game isn't going to be so cool in the end. Trust me.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yeah im new to forced induction, help me out (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So far you have a game of "see how cheap I can blow up my engine"... You still have no form of fuel management in your list. Honestly, trying to play the "cheap" game isn't going to be so cool in the end. Trust me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i didnt list all that i am going to get. i listed what i have. for fuel i plan on running the dsm 450s, b&m command flow (might switch up to FMU but i hear bad things about them) and possibly a walbro 255lph although i was told the aftermarket pump wouldnt be neccesary for the 7psi i plan on running. also yeah i did fail to mention im going to run a chipped pm6 with turboedit. i also plan on replacing the head gasket/timing belt and do a small tuneup before turbo. i just said i dont feel like spending $200 on a wastegate when i can do something else for cheaper.

would it work if i made up something that instead of closing the whole from my wastegate can i run a pipe directly off that hole (separate from downpipe) and put an external wastegate on the end of that pipe?

and yes i do plan on doing this ultra cheap but no i dont want to blow my motor. i know this means i cant take the shortcuts my budget keeps me at but this just means it will take a little longer before im boosted, my goal is to have it done by spring safely running at 7psi. i also plan on upgrading the turbo setup from time to time and maybe switching to a dohc sometime next winter.

so here is my setup goal... (PLEASE SUGGEST changes/other stuff to add, not so i can copy your setup but so i can have an idea of what other people are running.)

STD Manifold
external wastegate (any suggestions other then a tial 38mm?) set at 7psi running off the old wastegate hole (correct me if it wont work)
Garret M27 turbo
oil/coolant lines (duh)
2.5 inch charge pipes
FMIC
DSM BOV
2.5 downpipe/high flow cat/2.5 inch custom exhaust to my Apexi N1 muffler i already have.
Chipped pm6 with turboedit
DSM 450cc injectors
B&M Command Flow/FMU (pending)
Gauges (of course)

i also have a Field SFC but dont really plan on using it for my injectors, right now i just use it as a tach/speedo (km)/shift beep

yeah so thats the story.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know if this would work with my turbo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem
Old 01-03-2006, 05:14 PM
B A N N E D

Hey wasup everybody I know this is not the classified forum just trying to help this man on his turbo setup

I have a tial style wastegate 38 mm brand new in the box ready to ship 110 shipped actually is a xspower one it will run u $150 not ship yet so yea but u can ask people here at honda tech have used this wastegate so yea pm spoon95eg@tmail.com
Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have seen some people convert thier internal to ecternals by using the 5 bolt flange for the downpipe, and drilling a hole where your internal gate "flapper" would be and mounting a 35mm or any other wastegate right there.

but for all that fabbing, you could buy a new turbo with a internal wastegate for about 300 bux
Old 01-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that a pipe in the fourth pic.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AJxr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know if this would work with my turbo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem </TD></TR></TABLE>

It looks right to me, but without being able to measure it I cannot say yes with 100% certainty.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Re: yeah im new to forced induction, help me out (Jim Truett)

maybe you could weld it shut with a metal piece in place just like the wasgate.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yeah im new to forced induction, help me out (b18a1ef9)

that turbo should be off of a mid-late 80's volvo 850....hope that helps
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Re: yeah im new to forced induction, help me out (StylishDOHC)

I believe that turbo came off a chrysler. I'm not sure how many different models had that turbo, but the new yorker was one. It's your standard 42/48 T3, except it has that wacky flange on it.
You'll need to find/make that same flange for the turbo, and for the wastegate you can use a 5 bolt off a saab/volvo that came with the same 42/48, only they had the standard T3 flange on them. The wastegate will bolt up though.

The external wg option will be more expensive, and more of a headache. The good part about those turbo's is that most people don't even mess with the 42/48's off the chryslers because of the slightly different flange. I've been to junkyards that sell those turbo's for $30 and they had plenty of them that people weren't willing to buy.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: yeah im new to forced induction, help me out (stealthmode62)

And for the fuel management, 450's and turboedit will be more than enough. Don't waste money on a FPR or fuel pump for 7psi. Xenocron.com can help you nail a solid basemap.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yeah im new to forced induction, help me out (stealthmode62)

If you are gonna use an external then dont worry about welding it shut, the flange will block off the hole..

All this talk about mounting a pipe there and attatching a WG to it, well it would work but it wouldnt be any better than an internal WG..

just get the internal WG setup for it..