Notices

slash cut

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slash cut

i searched for this but haven't found anything yet. i plan on using a slash cut tube in the downpipe as a vacuum in addition to my oil breather kit. instead of venting through the filter on the catch can, hook that up to the slash cut. figure even a little vacuum would be better than no vacuum. plus, i won't be smellin the oil vapors if it's venting in the engine bay. question is this. is there an optimal angle to cut the tube and an angle of the tube in the downpipe? i understand the bernoulli effect and know that it should be placed in an angle so the tube is pointing away from the flow of exhaust. just wondering if there is an ideal angle to cut it and place it.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: slash cut (TypeSLO)

Just go get the kit that summit sells. They are already cut at the right angle and come with check valves.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: slash cut (maxspeedhonda)

i'll look in to that. thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 08:17 PM

didn't find anything on there...
Old 08-04-2006, 08:51 PM

here ya go

Just the Fitting
http://store.summitracing.com/...N=700+
400105+4294821957+115&autoview=sku

The whole kit
http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku

If you wind uo going this route let us know how it works out

EDIT: Heres some more options
http://store.summitracing.com/...51516
Old 08-05-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Re: slash cut (IRONlung201)

thanks man. guess i didn't use the right wording in the search. i plan on using maybe two slash cuts in the dp and tee the hoses together and a check valve post tee and into the top of the endyn catch can in place of the breather. i didn't want any vapors or even oil recirculating into the motor. crank pressure is one thing but oil contamination is another. i really appreciate you posting this up for me. once i get it all hooked up, i'll hook up a vac meter to the hose and see what it pulls. a little vacuum is better than no vacuum.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TypeSLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks man. guess i didn't use the right wording in the search. i plan on using maybe two slash cuts in the dp and tee the hoses together and a check valve post tee and into the top of the endyn catch can in place of the breather. i didn't want any vapors or even oil recirculating into the motor. crank pressure is one thing but oil contamination is another. i really appreciate you posting this up for me. once i get it all hooked up, i'll hook up a vac meter to the hose and see what it pulls. a little vacuum is better than no vacuum. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem man. I dont like the idea of drainback either. Ive seen my friends catchcan fill up and it get condensation in it and the stuff that come out of that thing is kinda nasty. Id rather just top off the oil every once in awhile.

Any idea of what kind of hose your gonna use where it meets the slashcut fitting? Those fittings gotta get pretty hot depending on how far downstream in the exhaust they are, I awlays wondered about that.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:24 PM

How many people have run a slashcut in their exhaust, and find it contanimates the muffler with oil? Just curious...
Old 08-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: (beak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many people have run a slashcut in their exhaust, and find it contanimates the muffler with oil? Just curious...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd like to know this also... I bet it depends alot on your catchcan, baffles, size, etc... Not knowing if smoke coming from the exhaust was from the catchcan or something else would kinda suck...
Old 08-06-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: (IRONlung201)

I used to run that setup awhile back with no muffler. You could definately tell that there was oil vapor burning.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: (IRONlung201)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IRONlung201 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd like to know this also... I bet it depends alot on your catchcan, baffles, size, etc... Not knowing if smoke coming from the exhaust was from the catchcan or something else would kinda suck...</TD></TR></TABLE>

just unplug it from the catch can to test. as far as the hose to use, i'm gonna try a high temp hose first but if it doesn't work, i think i'll just extend the piping for the slashcut and then hook up a hose. i'll make something work.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (beak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many people have run a slashcut in their exhaust, and find it contanimates the muffler with oil? Just curious...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have seen it happen, it really depends on how much oil vapors your system is evacuting. It really should not be done on a street car.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have seen it happen, it really depends on how much oil vapors your system is evacuting. It really should not be done on a street car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

muffler can be replaced easily. and it's not part of the motor. i can live with that.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TypeSLO)

Those slash cut systems are grossly overpriced. Get a piece of metal tubing and cut it at 45*. Then weld that into your exhaust(further down stream the better has been said), throw a PCV in backward and hook it up to your valve cover. Done and done.

PS: slash cut is for removing pressure, not oil. The minor amount of oil coming out ruining your muffler seems truely unlikely.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Re: (nowtype)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nowtype &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those slash cut systems are grossly overpriced. Get a piece of metal tubing and cut it at 45*. Then weld that into your exhaust(further down stream the better has been said), throw a PCV in backward and hook it up to your valve cover. Done and done.

PS: slash cut is for removing pressure, not oil. The minor amount of oil coming out ruining your muffler seems truely unlikely.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I definatley agree with you that the slashcut kits and pieces you can buy are way overpriced and you can easily mock it up yourself. But I would def run a catchan with this setup. I know it vents pressure not oil, but have you seen all the catchcan overflowing problem threads that are constantly popping up? And those setups are usually just open vented setups, this has some suction to aid in the venting, which would probably only increase the oil output. If it were me i'd definately invest in a good baffled catchcan to run inline with the slashcut exhaust vent.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TypeSLO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TypeSLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
muffler can be replaced easily. and it's not part of the motor. i can live with that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, I don't mind it getting on my muffler but oil will be in the exhaust system which is not good for emissions. And you will smell oil on a daily driven car. On a daily driven car though you probably won't see that much oil in the exhaust system. Although I have seen some cars with a ton of oil in a catch can so its a tough call. I just know that in order to see results the piece should be placed pretty close on the header, and oil inside a hot header/cat is not the best smell for some people.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:28 AM

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree, I don't mind it getting on my muffler but oil will be in the exhaust system which is not good for emissions. And you will smell oil on a daily driven car. On a daily driven car though you probably won't see that much oil in the exhaust system. Although I have seen some cars with a ton of oil in a catch can so its a tough call. I just know that in order to see results the piece should be placed pretty close on the header, and oil inside a hot header/cat is not the best smell for some people.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

first, i don't have to worry about emissions in FL.
second, any oil burning smell will only affect people driving behind me. no disrespect but that's just how it's gonna be so i don't have to smell it.
i've heard of someone who used a steel wool inside the catch can as a baffle. and even if you run a catch can, you may still get some oil to pass through. that's why it's important to mount the can as high as you can from the block for proper drain back. i think even the contents of the vapor, if recirculated into the block, will contaminate the oil. and i really don't want that going into through my intake. i think this is one reason why i have to change my oil so frequently.