Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

 
Old 03-26-2010, 02:01 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
imbest123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFV 818
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

One option that I am considering in regards to my Civic is turboing it so that I may enjoy the car a bit more but one thing that always comes to mind is reliability. I do know what a turbo entails (turboing my RSX-S in 2 weeks. I have all the parts minus K-Pro) so I'm not a complete noob but I know near nothing about a D series. My goal is 200-250whp for a daily driven car that will maintain its reliability. So far from what I have gathered this is the set-up I am looking at but do want second opinions. If this option doesnt go through I may just swap the motor.

Motor:
Vitara Pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Headstuds
Y8 Manifold

Turbo (I'm still deciding so no need to comment on this unless something is waaay off):
Log Manifold
small T3/T4 turbo, possibly a T04E
38mm Wastegate
the rest of the supporting bs lol

Fuel:
450cc DSM Injectors
Walbro hpfp? (is that needed?)

Trans:
I have NOOOO idea one this one

I have no real "budget" persay but I dont want something priced ridiculously over the top either. My goal is to have a fresh motor that will last at least 150,000 miles (not exactly but you get where Im trying to go with that). Is that all that is needed motor-wise for a reliably boosted car from 200-250whp? Is cooling an issue with the tiny stock radiator?

I shouldnt say money isnt an issue but I dont feel comfortable spending more than 2 grand for a turbo build when I bought the whole car for less than that.
imbest123 is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 AM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 862
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

well if you dont want to spend more than 2 grand you have a lot of options turbo wise....

Walbro prob wont be needed if our stickin around 250hp
azandford is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 03:33 AM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
imbest123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFV 818
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Originally Posted by azandford View Post
well if you dont want to spend more than 2 grand you have a lot of options turbo wise....

Walbro prob wont be needed if our stickin around 250hp
yeah im not so concerned about the turbo system, more the engine build up. i figure im comfortable enough with turbos to decide what i will piece together but its the actual motor itself that i know very little about
imbest123 is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 03:36 AM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 862
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

looks like you have a decent motor? was it just built?

You could just get a decent turbo and tune it high, turn down the boost for everyday driving and turn it back up for a lil ol' tire squealin
azandford is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 AM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
imbest123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFV 818
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Originally Posted by azandford View Post
looks like you have a decent motor? was it just built?

You could just get a decent turbo and tune it high, turn down the boost for everyday driving and turn it back up for a lil ol' tire squealin
lol i should clarify the motor specs. my motor is currently 100% stock and im considering rebuilding it with those additional bottom end parts.
imbest123 is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 12:14 PM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
imbest123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFV 818
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

bump id like to know this info. every built motor i see has 300+ whp but im not looking for that much
imbest123 is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
95civhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

what is your question exactly?
95civhb is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

from what i can read youre asking whether that would be reliable?

if so then yes totally if built and mapped properly . . .

cooling depends on how you drive it, if you can afford a double thickness radiator i'd definately recommend it as lets be honest the standard ones are tiny.

a company on one of the uk sites im a member of sells a kit for 250-300hp on a stock motor . .


' Hello,

Following our B series thread here is the Dseries kit.

The kit is aimed to give an alternative to the ebay kits, while costing more it offers far better value for money as it won't fail within a couple of months.

Kit includes

Race-Tech Ram style manifold,
Race-Tech Downpipe
Race-Tech Boost pipes and intercooler kit.
Rebuilt TD04 turbo (320hp version is an extra 100) Normal version is good for 280bhp.
Oil and water lines.


The price for the first 5 kits will be 1200. Add 50 to make AC compatable.
Normal price is 1450.

We can also "downgrade" to a log style manifold which takes a further 100 off the price but the ram style does offer sizable gains.

2 year warranty on all parts, 3 years if fitted and tuned by us.

The kit is ideal for standard engines and should do between 200-250hp at 11-17psi depending on tuning etc.

Many other options available. ECU socketing and mapping, Injectors, fuel pumps, clutches etc contact for prices.'


They have had no issues with that power even on a stock motor it seems, so a vitara'd built one should definately have no issues, just make sure its done properly and mapped up by someone who knows what they are doing.
Gtr Chris is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 862
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

you can buy a trubo kit thats cheap and run it and blow a motor you can run an expensive turbo kit and blow the motor


depends on how built your motor is and how much you beat on it and a little bit of luck

go with forged internals and some arp headstuds
azandford is offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:05 AM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
imbest123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFV 818
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Originally Posted by 95civhb View Post
what is your question exactly?
what exactly is needed for a safe 200-250whp d16z6 daily driven
Originally Posted by Gtr Chris View Post
from what i can read youre asking whether that would be reliable?

if so then yes totally if built and mapped properly . . .

cooling depends on how you drive it, if you can afford a double thickness radiator i'd definately recommend it as lets be honest the standard ones are tiny.

a company on one of the uk sites im a member of sells a kit for 250-300hp on a stock motor . .


' Hello,

Following our B series thread here is the Dseries kit.

The kit is aimed to give an alternative to the ebay kits, while costing more it offers far better value for money as it won't fail within a couple of months.

Kit includes

Race-Tech Ram style manifold,
Race-Tech Downpipe
Race-Tech Boost pipes and intercooler kit.
Rebuilt TD04 turbo (320hp version is an extra 100) Normal version is good for 280bhp.
Oil and water lines.


The price for the first 5 kits will be 1200. Add 50 to make AC compatable.
Normal price is 1450.

We can also "downgrade" to a log style manifold which takes a further 100 off the price but the ram style does offer sizable gains.

2 year warranty on all parts, 3 years if fitted and tuned by us.

The kit is ideal for standard engines and should do between 200-250hp at 11-17psi depending on tuning etc.

Many other options available. ECU socketing and mapping, Injectors, fuel pumps, clutches etc contact for prices.'


They have had no issues with that power even on a stock motor it seems, so a vitara'd built one should definately have no issues, just make sure its done properly and mapped up by someone who knows what they are doing.
looks promising. ill look into it
Originally Posted by azandford View Post
you can buy a trubo kit thats cheap and run it and blow a motor you can run an expensive turbo kit and blow the motor


depends on how built your motor is and how much you beat on it and a little bit of luck

go with forged internals and some arp headstuds
there are always physical limitations that even the worlds best tune wont help and i dont want to exceed the capacity of a stock d16z6. i mean lets be honest here, they arent exactly great motors for performance. if all thats required are pistons/rods and headstuds then im all for it. thanks
imbest123 is offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 AM
  #11  
Man U FTW
 
Schister66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 11,973
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

As for your setup, the stock internal D series is good for 220-240whp reliably. Since your goal falls within that range, you dont need to build it, but it wouldnt hurt. If you're not looking to ever make more power (and don't lie to yourself, you will want more eventually) then you can leave it stock.

As for the turbo setup, i think you have a decent start. Your goals are realistic and would be very streetable. I'm not sure what your exact question was, but if you need suggestions for your setup, we can give you that. My first suggestion would be to look at a smaller turbo. Personally, i would get a T3 Super 60 for your goals. It would be much more streetable than a larger T3/T04e XXtrim and will give you the same peak power potential

Originally Posted by azandford View Post
Walbro prob wont be needed if our stickin around 250hp
For under $100, its best to get a Walbro. Its cheap insurance really...
Schister66 is online now  
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM
  #12  
Honda-Tech Member
 
1Jackleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 141
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

^^^^^
What he said..... A stock d series will handle your goal easily with a good tune. I've got a 93 Si with a bone stock D16 (ARP studs though) with a Greddy kit and a old school Hondata that I've been running for over 10 years and I've had no problems with the exception of lifting the head at 18+ psi in the winter cold. (Damn small turbo and internal wastegate) D's have a problem with lifting head at high boost. I put in the ARP's and haven't looked back. I don't drive the car daily anymore but I do drive it at least once a week and I often beat the **** out of it.
My set up for the last 10 years has been:
Stock D16Z6 with ARP head studs
Bolt on Greddy turbo kit with Greddy FMI and old school Greddy BOV
255 lph Walboro and 440 RC injectors
Old school Hondata 2B system with stock MAP sensor
Old school Greddy electronic boost controler
Greddy 2.5" PE exhaust
ACT clutch (forgot which one)
Made 185 WHP and 177 WTQ at 8psi on a very conservative tune in '01. I asked the tuner to be conservative with the tune as it was my only mode of transportation at the time. The last 6 or 7 years I've been running 1 gal of C16 to a tank of 93 and pushing 15 psi which is the max for the little TD04. Car has never been re-tuned since and from the *** dyno, and what I have seen from others with similar set ups, I'm guessing somewhere between 230-245 WHP. The only thing I would like to add is traction bars, better mounts, (stock sucks), an LSD, and drag radials. I would love to re-tune the car before I finally get with the times and go B series. LOL!
Alot of people hate the Greddy kits but they are reliable, spool up super quick, and can make a decent, fun street car. Almost like a factory turbo Honda. Good luck with your build.
1Jackleg is offline  
Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 AM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
imbest123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFV 818
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

^^ to the two posts above me, those are really good numbers that can be held with a stock d16z6. i just rmember reading that you dont want to push it above 200whp but maybe im confusing it with another d series motor. i know my friend doesnt want to up his boost and hit 170whp on his d16y8 since all it has are headstuds.
imbest123 is offline  
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 AM
  #14  
Honda-Tech Member
 
1Jackleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 141
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Originally Posted by imbest123 View Post
^^ to the two posts above me, those are really good numbers that can be held with a stock d16z6. i just rmember reading that you dont want to push it above 200whp but maybe im confusing it with another d series motor. i know my friend doesnt want to up his boost and hit 170whp on his d16y8 since all it has are headstuds.
The Z6 and Y8 will easily hit 200-250 whp with the correct tuning and fuel. There have been a few who have gone over 300 whp with the D in stock trim. I think you might be pushing a D15B at 200 whp though.
1Jackleg is offline  
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
  #15  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
imbest123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFV 818
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Originally Posted by 1Jackleg View Post
The Z6 and Y8 will easily hit 200-250 whp with the correct tuning and fuel. There have been a few who have gone over 300 whp with the D in stock trim. I think you might be pushing a D15B at 200 whp though.
sweet. ill keep that in mind. thanks
imbest123 is offline  
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM
  #16  
B*a*n*n*e*d
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: montebello, ca, us
Posts: 6,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Okay reading this thread made me think about boosting my 98 hx I think it has the y5. Does anyone know how much this motor can handle stock with no mods to the motor at all. With like a small t25. I'm thinking of going the sleeper route with a small dsm side mount
turbohatch96y7 is offline  
Old 11-21-2015, 01:30 AM
  #17  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Originally Posted by imbest123 View Post
bump id like to know this info. every built motor i see has 300+ whp but im not looking for that much
Sorry if this is the wrong post... But how much do you think you can get out of that engine max? I have a D16z6 Soh vtech 1.6 ML. I'm conserdering buying that same engine to put on a stand to build it up to be setup

with a turbo.



1993 Del Sol Si.








She has a LONG way to go. Im just tired of tying to nake her look gokd when what I really want is for her to go fast. Lol
SolTrain92 is offline  
Old 11-21-2015, 01:32 AM
  #18  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Originally Posted by SolTrain92 View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong post... But how much do you think you can get out of that engine max? I have a D16z6 Soh vtech 1.6 ML. I'm conserdering buying that same engine to put on a stand to build it up to be setup

with a turbo.



1993 Del Sol Si.








She has a LONG way to go. Im just tired of tying to nake her look gokd when what I really want is for her to go fast. Lol



Crap. Don't drink and ask questions on websites. You use the wrong terminology. Lol. L not ML.
SolTrain92 is offline  
Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM
  #19  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Geis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Originally Posted by SolTrain92 View Post
Crap. Don't drink and ask questions on websites. You use the wrong terminology. Lol. L not ML.
Yeah uhh...yeah. The wrong terminology was totally the problem there.
And the 'drinking'

A) Check the dates, why the f*ck are you bumping a 5 year old thread?
B) Read the faqs, this is a really simple question you could answer for yourself, and I know you must know how to use the search feature otherwise you wouldn't have been able to find this thread in the first place


We need a bot for this smh fam
Geis is offline  
Old 11-21-2015, 02:29 PM
  #20  
Who is Mr Robot?
iTrader: (2)
 
wantboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ATL - Where the Pimps and Players dwell
Posts: 21,467
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6

Bumping 5 year old threads doesn't get anyone anywhere.

If you have specific questions then make a new thread. If you want to see other turbo D series setups and power levels there's an entire thread devoted to that in this forum.

PS "VTECH" is a phone company

LOCKED
wantboost is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Kid cruz
Forced Induction
21
05-19-2014 12:44 PM
osbunjosh
Forced Induction
6
06-09-2011 08:14 AM
Charger69
Forced Induction
5
04-16-2008 02:34 PM
hondaguyexsi
Forced Induction
16
10-14-2005 03:05 PM
streetlvlhatch
Forced Induction
37
06-20-2005 02:49 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reliable Turbo DD? D16Z6


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: