Notices

HELP!! how would I attach this to my oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! how would I attach this to my oil pan?

I gotta problem, hopefully someone can help. I am almost done with my turbo setup except for attaching the oil return line to my oil pan, now the instructions say to weld a fitting to the outside of the oil pan and then drill a hole through the fitting, and then slip the hose over the fitting. My problem is that I tried to weld the fitting to the oil pan, yeah, that didn't work, it starting melting the fitting (its steel) and the oil pan is of a harder metal. The oil pan didn't budge at all.
I have a very ghetto drawing of the fitting side view and front view, and where I would like to attach it to my pan.
The end of the tube that connects to the turbo is rubber, it has one of those push lock thingy's, and the other end attaches to a 90 degree elbow fitting that screws into the fitting on the oil pan.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone, I would really like some sort of advice before I go crazy and melt something or drill something when I didn't need to.

Here is the link to the picture, excuse my sorry excuse for computer drawing, its pretty big too, sorry. http://www.imagestation.com/my...27060

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance......

Modified by fmaxturbochic at 9:45 AM 5/6/2003
Old 05-06-2003, 09:28 AM
FastNFurious

Don't weld it yourself?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (David555)

DON'T weld the bung on where u described in your picture. It needs to be more near the deeper part of the oil pan, pretty far up to the top of the pan (when it's on the car) between two bolts that hold the oil pan on. (just a little below the bolts.)

Drill the hole first, before you weld the bung on.

DON"T weld this yourself, take it to a professional. This is a real important part and if you half-*** it, your gonna get oil leaks.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:38 AM

Default Re: (David555)

i hope the pan is off! It will be alot easier to do it off the car... if your not going to run braided line then you dont really need a bung. You said your going to run rubber hose so all you need is a "nipple" welded on your pan. All you need is like a 2" piece of 1/2" or 5/8" pipe, get it curved up slightly so that the oil can flow down better. Drill a hole in your pan a little smaller than the outside diameter of the pipe and stick the piece of pipe through like 1/2". then just put a bead around the pipe and your done....good luck thats how i have mine and it works fine.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Re: (hooked_up_gsr)

Yes, the pan is off, didn't want to do ANY drilling with it still on.

Im not welding it myself, I took it to my school, im taking auto classes there and one of the guys that works there does welding, he tried it for me.

This is what I have as far as the tubing, it is a rubber hose that connects to the nipple on the turbo, and then to an elbow fitting that screws into the oil pan. I went to a place called G&J Aircraft, this guy told us to weld the bung on the oil pan, then drill through the bung.

I was thinking, could I drill a hole through the oil pan, and thread something through the hole with maybe a nut on the other side?

As for the placement of the fitting, it said in the instructions to put it there. So should I go a little more to the middle of the deeper part of the pan?

So do you think maybe this could work if a professional did it? Would it make it difficult because of the two metals?
Old 05-06-2003, 12:35 PM

Default Re: HELP!! how would I attach this to my oil pan? (fmaxturbochic)

no other opinions?
Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: HELP!! how would I attach this to my oil pan? (fmaxturbochic)

you cant just use a regular welder.... now i forget what kind they used when i had mine done but it wasnt your standard "Welder".....

Old 05-06-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Re: HELP!! how would I attach this to my oil pan? (GSRwBOOST)

you want it as high on the oil pan as possible! if you want the bung on there then you do have to weld it to the pan and then drill through it. Just tell the welder not to do it too hot or he/she will blow a hole right through it.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:15 PM

Default Re: (fmaxturbochic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmaxturbochic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking, could I drill a hole through the oil pan, and thread something through the hole with maybe a nut on the other side?</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is what the greddy kit is like

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmaxturbochic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the placement of the fitting, it said in the instructions to put it there. So should I go a little more to the middle of the deeper part of the pan?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Go towards the upper right.

Do a search for oil return and you will find some images and recommendations on placement.
This will help you some
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=479192