Notices

finally back and running but time for an upgrade...going E85

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:43 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: finally back and running but time for an upgrade...going E85

Update:
so i spoke to my tuner the reason why i need a bigger wastegate is because he was seeing excessive boost creep. this is just a quick update im still going to go over my notes i have from the phone i call i had with him.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by justYncredible
Update:
so i spoke to my tuner the reason why i need a bigger wastegate is because he was seeing excessive boost creep. this is just a quick update im still going to go over my notes i have from the phone i call i had with him.
The creep is from ignition timing also. Tons of folks on 19psi 40mm gates on that turbo over 19psi. But I'm not the tuner so it's your call.

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-09-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Update:
What's the rest of your exhaust setup? From downpipe all the way back.. Cat, no cat? Diameter? Muffler?
Old 03-09-2019, 05:15 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by Txdragon
What's the rest of your exhaust setup? From downpipe all the way back.. Cat, no cat? Diameter? Muffler?
3in all the from the downpipe, no cat and with a n1 style turbo back exhaust i got from ebay years ago.exhaust its not this on exactly but we just cut the 2.5 area and made it a 3in all the way through.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3in all the from the downpipe, no cat and with a n1 style turbo back exhaust i got from ebay years ago.exhaust its not this on exactly but we just cut the 2.5 area and made it a 3in all the way through.
Man. I couldn't even fabricate an excuse as to why your tuner says wastegate. Exhaust is good enough for that turbo. Unless the mani flows like ****. Otherwise, he's bullshitting you as to why you're getting bottlenecked. You're on 93 pump, injectors are good to high 400s.. Your tuner gave you a bullshit reason or just doesn't know what he's doing.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:55 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Man. I couldn't even fabricate an excuse as to why your tuner says wastegate. Exhaust is good enough for that turbo. Unless the mani flows like ****. Otherwise, he's bullshitting you as to why you're getting bottlenecked. You're on 93 pump, injectors are good to high 400s.. Your tuner gave you a bullshit reason or just doesn't know what he's doing.
the injectors are only at 78% i believe and my manifold is from synapse turbo, remember them from back in the day? any who, the tuner well...ill just say that a member here that has been absent for quite some time, he is well known around this forum, uses the same tuner. ill find out once i get this bigger wastegate.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

the injectors are only at 78% i believe and my manifold is from synapse turbo, remember them from back in the day? any who, the tuner well...ill just say that a member here that has been absent for quite some time, he is well known around this forum, uses the same tuner. ill find out once i get this bigger wastegate.
Bigger wastegate isnt going to solve your problem. It might help a little, but its not going to fix the creep issue. Its just a bad WG priority on that manifold.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Bigger wastegate isnt going to solve your problem. It might help a little, but its not going to fix the creep issue. Its just a bad WG priority on that manifold.
you think my wastegate is leaking from a bad seat? meaning i should confirm im not getting an exhaust leak from it.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you think my wastegate is leaking from a bad seat? meaning i should confirm im not getting an exhaust leak from it.
No what I mean is the exhaust has to take a 90 degree turn at the point where its going into the turbo and therefore not in a good location to prioritize boost control. There isnt really a way around it unless you got a better manifold.

I've noticed Macs turbos are just so damn efficient that they make your typical Honda manifold WG placement rather obvious just how poor they are hehe. I still have the same problem with mine but its acceptable for what Im doing. 44mm gate didnt help too much.

Just curious what is your spring size?

Last edited by LightningTeg; 03-13-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

My wastegate had a leaking seal on the valve shaft which was causing boost creep, it was not wastegate size related but a defective unit that was the problem. Once you remove you wastegate, hook it up to a air hose and see if it opens cleanly at spring pressure or if you can hear air leaking somewhere
Old 03-13-2019, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
My wastegate had a leaking seal on the valve shaft which was causing boost creep, it was not wastegate size related but a defective unit that was the problem. Once you remove you wastegate, hook it up to a air hose and see if it opens cleanly at spring pressure or if you can hear air leaking somewhere
The boost creep issue would go back to my original theory on the situation. But this was in regard to figuring out why the tuner says the wastegate was a bottleneck to making more (safe) power, which it is not. If he is NOW trying to figure out creep, methinks we need more info on that front. Turbo is at 19psi. What psi is OP trying to run? Where is it creeping to and over what RPM? is it in OP's plan to get a second opinion or waste money on a larger WG that's not needed? ChanceEG brought a good point that explains how a shitty manifold can contribute to creep but again, 19psi pushed from the reaper should be no call for a larger gate. UNLESS OP is trying to run single digit psi and ending at 19 (?) The only logical explanation is the WG outlet on the mani is poorly placed and rendering the manifold itself inefficient. **shrug** I'm looking at overall numbers and it **seems** there is something fishy about this turbo at 19psi ONLY making the power that was mentioned. The spidey senses are tingling, good fellows!

Toward the end, Reaper is mentioned. His current setup listed includes Predator. Either one, 19psi is efficient. Boost range this high with either of those should pose zero call for a larger gate. If a problem with the gate were there, it would result in the boost level getting lowered to avoid creep past a certain point. In other words, he'd have to be put at 19psi because it creeps (example number follows) 10 psi because of the small gate.
THIS theory is believable to a slight extent. Although the current turbo **should** be making better numbers at 19psi, which is why I couldn't apply the creep theory. Methinks the tuner had a brain fart!!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Turn it up or reflange for 60mm, dual gates or new manifold. This is not the first case of creep on ramhorns with lower boost (yeah 19psi is low boost)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
(yeah 19psi is low boost)
I'll need to relocate the citation but, this is not correct. 19psi is considered high. Anywho.. That being said, there's still some info needed to delve deeper into those recesses since we are now dealing with a new issue entirely.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Years ago, T67, ramhorn, 15 pounds, same issue. I was told by OG drag racers to change the flange or increase the boost. Q16 and 25psi and the creep was gone. Do what you want. It's been stated to change the manifold, which is the best solution. However, a cheaper alternative to me to see if the wastegate/manifold is the issue is throw some Q16/C16 in there and turn it up and see if the issue goes away. (we didn't care about daily driving our projects/drag cars back then nor was there ethanol blends at the pump)
Old 04-13-2019, 01:39 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

so...
still fooling around with the car to see how im creating 19lbs of boost when it, crazy enough, doesnt feel like it. i took the car out for a spin today since i removed my blox manifold block and replaced my vacuum lines to then run all my lines into my victor X manifold. i did this to make things easier and to clean up the engine bay slightly. i did some datalogging and i also kept an eye on my boost gauge. to my finding my boost gauge is reading lower than what the datalog is showing via the map sensor. i do have a MAC boost solenoid but the tuner didnt set it up due to my boost spike he was seeing while tuning...anywho.

datalog says 19psi from the map sensor
AEM failsafe gauge is reading about 10-11psi or .8 bar.

i know im not going crazy here but i would believe the boost gauge over my map sensor since its reading off the source itself. am i wrong in my findings or nah?

from past experiences from my OG tuner he would just tune the car to see what we could make safely and i would then go in mess with the boost solenoid. my old tuner, although he is great at what he does, didnt want to deal with the boost solenoid. he just wasnt familiar with it during that time, so instead i learned more about it and applied BBG and what not.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so...
still fooling around with the car to see how im creating 19lbs of boost when it, crazy enough, doesnt feel like it. i took the car out for a spin today since i removed my blox manifold block and replaced my vacuum lines to then run all my lines into my victor X manifold. i did this to make things easier and to clean up the engine bay slightly. i did some datalogging and i also kept an eye on my boost gauge. to my finding my boost gauge is reading lower than what the datalog is showing via the map sensor. i do have a MAC boost solenoid but the tuner didnt set it up due to my boost spike he was seeing while tuning...anywho.

datalog says 19psi from the map sensor
AEM failsafe gauge is reading about 10-11psi or .8 bar.

i know im not going crazy here but i would believe the boost gauge over my map sensor since its reading off the source itself. am i wrong in my findings or nah?

from past experiences from my OG tuner he would just tune the car to see what we could make safely and i would then go in mess with the boost solenoid. my old tuner, although he is great at what he does, didnt want to deal with the boost solenoid. he just wasnt familiar with it during that time, so instead i learned more about it and applied BBG and what not.
Maybe the map sensor settings need to be redone?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:08 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

thats what im thinking as well. ill just have to let the tuner know because there is no way its hitting 19lbs.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I would trust a map sensor over an aem boost gauge personally. You can verify map signal by going off a data log and comparing it to vacuum.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:01 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
I would trust a map sensor over an aem boost gauge personally. You can verify map signal by going off a data log and comparing it to vacuum.
i also have an autometer boost gauge i can hook up to see if its getting the same boost pressure from the intake manifold. ill try that and see what it reads to confirm