Notices

Whats the most power seen out of an internal wastegate setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats the most power seen out of an internal wastegate setup?

Sup all,

I just recently got my car up and running.....but I'm already thinking next year's setup . I'm just wondering what kind of power can be made out of an internally wasted setup? (I'm currently running an 18g) Can 350Whp be reached? What are the major issues or problems with high powered internal wastegates? Can spiking be a issue due too much torbulance effecting the wastegate flap? Any info or insight would help...thank you
Old 07-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the most power seen out of an internal wastegate setup? (Chillinit)

i searched and came up with jack...anyone?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:39 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Whats the most power seen out of an internal wastegate setup? (Chillinit)

yes a 18g will easily support 350whp. As for internal gates, hteres quite a few dsm's making 400+ with internal gates.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whats the most power seen out of an internal wastegate setup? (Mpir3)

i'm sure you could make any amount of power with an internal gate or even none at all (DSM thang again).

I think an issue might be that the WG hole in the turbine housing woulden't be able to bypass enough energy because of its smaller diameter than most externals.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the most power seen out of an internal wastegate setup? (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes a 18g will easily support 350whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I heard that once the 18g surpasses 15 psi...it blows hot air and it out of its efficiency range. Is this correct?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chillinit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I heard that once the 18g surpasses 15 psi...it blows hot air and it out of its efficiency range. Is this correct? </TD></TR></TABLE>

my boy had an 18G on his Talon and ran an 11.9@119 @24psi.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the most power seen out of an internal wastegate setup? (B16C1)

ive seen 800 rwhp on a porsche w/ internal wg
Old 07-13-2004, 08:48 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chillinit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I heard that once the 18g surpasses 15 psi...it blows hot air and it out of its efficiency range. Is this correct? </TD></TR></TABLE>

while efficiency is important it is alittle too overated on honda-tech. theres dsm's making 300whp on 14b turbo's while everyone on here thinks you need a sc61 to make that
Old 07-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

while efficiency is important it is alittle too overated on honda-tech. theres dsm's making 300whp on 14b turbo's while everyone on here thinks you need a sc61 to make that </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the responses...now considering people are making decent power with internal wastegates...why are most people on here running external??(with the exception of greddy guys) I mean what main benefits of external wastegates?? spool up time and more flow(cfm)?

I want to retain my greddy manifold and get a bigger turbo next year. I'm also considering going with a GT serie(ball bearing) turbo. Do you think this would be superior over a T series?(journal bearing)

this is what I'm considering.....

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GRT

or even the disco potato

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GRT

what do you think?

btw...eventhough straight racing is fun and I do my fair bit, I want to setup for road courses. Hence the reason I'm considering a ball bearing turbo.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-14-2004, 09:15 AM

The only problem I have seen from internal wastegates is a boost creep issue. Funny enough the way to solve this is to turn up the boost so as not to let the wastegate opperate as much. In this case it's not about how much HP you want to run, but how much boost. I'm taking a shot at this number so don't take it as very accurate, but I'd say above 10-12 PSI and you should be fine with an internal gate from what I've seen.