Notices

A few questions for you LS-T b00st heads.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions for you LS-T b00st heads.

Ok guys, I'm just getting into the turbo thing nowadays, and have been researching. I have just went through the majority of the LS-T boost thread, and I'm considering going FI instead of getting rid of my LS and moving on. Before the first troll says it, I have searched y0, and I just want to hear varying opinions and what set-ups are the most streetable for my DD.

Realistic goals?/Questions:
-Around 225-250whp @ around 8-9 psi
-at least high 13-low 14's on street rubber
-I see most LS-T guys using a t3/t4 setup usually garrett with usually a 50-60 trim, is it merely preference?
-I need something that is reliable for my DD, and yes, I understand turbo=$$/work.
-Overall, I just want a nice beginner FI setup, so any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated. Right now I'm looking to build a t3/t4 with maybe a 57 trim, stock block/head, 550cc injectors, walbro 255, HKS SSQV BOV, 2.5 piping, maybe a Hondata s200 w/boost option. Not sure what manifold/wastegate/IC I wanna go with, any suggestions are welcomed, I'm trying to learn. Don't know how many lbs I wanna run, suggestions . Like I said, these are just initial thoughts, help a FI n00b out in his research/choices
-What, if any, manifold can keep the A/C without re-routing/messing with the ac lines
-How much $$ did you guys pay all-in-all for your setups?

Modified by crazymark316 at 3:23 PM 10/27/2005
Old 10-27-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: A few questions for you LS-T b00st heads. (crazymark316)

Well if you read most of the LS-T thread you should read the rest... LOTS of good info...

Anything can be streetable IMO... But to asnwer a couple of your ?s...

I dont know what everyone else notices but i usually see a short tube Exhaust mani. Like a Mini Me or a Rev Hard.. Better for spool time for LS cause the short revs (not able to rev as high as vtec)

Tial wastegate are what most use! The new style deltagates have not had a prob on any that i have noticed...

IC wise, OBX makes a nice one for pretty cheap. There a couple other out there i cant think of that work GREAT, Like Jonny Racecar ICs... (i think thats the name)... I would get the biggest one you can hahahahahha

A 50-57-60 eh they all work great... Depends on what type of power your lookin for ya know?

I would focus more on WHP rather then PSI. On a Stock LS you shouldnt have to much trouble getting 225-250 if tuned coreectly with a 60trim.

Hell i installed a drag kit on a G3 Auto Teggy and he ran mid 13s @ 10psi on pump 94.

PM JDM S1eeper or Snoflake Those are some pretty smrt LST guys!

Good Luck
Old 10-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few questions for you LS-T b00st heads. (teg2die4)

Thanks bro! Keep the info coming. Yea, I was gonna go with a tial wastegate, but wasn't exactly sure. Anyway, back to to boards to research, lol.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

peep my sig, i think my car is right where you want yours to be according to your goals, and my setup is similar as well. its streetable, ive driven my car everywhere..about 10k miles since may with the snail on it. 50 or 57 trims are nice. if you run about 10 lbs, expect full spool at about 4000ish with the .63 turbine, and a few 100 rpms lower with a .48.

id honestly say to get a log exhaust mani. there are a handful of decent ones for 200-250 bucks, and they will do the job just fine. look around for used crap from pre fabbed turbo kits, ie im using an intercooler from a 1st gen drag kit. definatly get a new clutch, maybe something like act hdss setup. i spent somewhere around 2200ish on my setup. it was definatly enough to go fast, and get me in trouble if i wasnt careful haha. the midrange tq on these is awesome and good for dd, and its nice to not have to rev to like 6500+ to get decent power
Old 10-27-2005, 07:10 PM

A T3 super 60 on a stock LS is a PERFECT fit for your goals. This is exactly what I had on my LS. Check out the link for info. Figure around 2k for the setup and then figure your gonna spend 2x what you planned.
http://home.comcast.net/~chunk/mysetup/mysetup.htm

Notice the torque, dyno is at .5 bar. I ran that turbo up to 11psi with no efficiency problems.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: A few questions for you LS-T b00st heads. (chunk)

heres my setup

click here

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1415344
Old 10-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few questions for you LS-T b00st heads. (chunk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">peep my sig, i think my car is right where you want yours to be according to your goals, and my setup is similar as well. its streetable, ive driven my car everywhere..about 10k miles since may with the snail on it. 50 or 57 trims are nice. if you run about 10 lbs, expect full spool at about 4000ish with the .63 turbine, and a few 100 rpms lower with a .48.

id honestly say to get a log exhaust mani. there are a handful of decent ones for 200-250 bucks, and they will do the job just fine. look around for used crap from pre fabbed turbo kits, ie im using an intercooler from a 1st gen drag kit. definatly get a new clutch, maybe something like act hdss setup. i spent somewhere around 2200ish on my setup. it was definatly enough to go fast, and get me in trouble if i wasnt careful haha. the midrange tq on these is awesome and good for dd, and its nice to not have to rev to like 6500+ to get decent power</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh yea, I'm definetly getting a clutch if I go FI, bad as it sounds, I got a buddy that "knows a mexican that does clutches for beer", haha. Anyway, how are your traction issues if any? What is your timing look like, etc?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A T3 super 60 on a stock LS is a PERFECT fit for your goals. This is exactly what I had on my LS. Check out the link for info. Figure around 2k for the setup and then figure your gonna spend 2x what you planned.
http://home.comcast.net/~chunk/mysetup/mysetup.htm

Notice the torque, dyno is at .5 bar. I ran that turbo up to 11psi with no efficiency problems.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for the info too man, you've all been very helpful. keep the info coming guys! Must be something about the FI forum, people aren't ********* like the rest of H-T...lol. Also, as far as the trim, I imagine the boost hits later with the larger the trim, the later the boost hits? I want something that hits boost hard, and stays spooled all the way to redline, no dropping off. Unfortunately, I'm still unclear on a lot of things, been in the NA game for too long, lol.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your only wanting to hit 250whp a T3/T4 may be to big. i mean you will spool around 4000rpm. and redline at 6500? thats a really short unusable powerband in an LS. i recomend a T3 Super60 or a big T3 like a 60/63. the bigger turbo found on the for turbo coupe, SVO mustange or Merker. we spool at 2500 and pull hard to redline. made 180whp and 180 torq at 8lbs, 207hp and 202torq at 11lbs, and 220hp and 230 torq at 13lbs. but the exhaust manifold developed a leak on the dyno, and the boost controler screwed up and after 4500rpm it droped down to 10psi instead of holding the 13psi.

hears a link. and for your goals a T3/T4 may be to big.

were ganna shoot for 250-300whp in the spring. should have hit that if we could have held 13psi.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1412287
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

crazymark316- its ok i know a white guy who does volkswagon clutches for beer haha.

traction is rough, especially on 50 dollar kumhos. if i launch at anything than a normal start, it kinda just spins right off the rev limit,2nd gear chirps when i shift, then looses traction again above 6k rpms, 2-3 shift chirps hard again for a few hundred rpms, then im good after that. the hardest part at the track was not loosing traction at the top of 2nd, cause then i would shift into 3rd too early, fall out of the powerband and bog out. im also using a gsr trans. my timing is conservative, its 19.75* at 11 psi, or about .82 out per psi. i would run more timing, but my motor has over 200k
Old 10-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great thread as I am also very interested in the answers. After a ton of research here is what I have found most people to be doing/using.

Garrett T3/T4 57trim .63ar exhaust (seems like everyones putting down about 240whp at 10psi)
2.5" charge piping
3" downpipe
Tial 40mm or 38mm Wastegate (any major difference???)
Walbro 255 fuel pump
550cc injectors
Hondata s200b, uberdata, chrome, turboedit, neptune ect...
Nice strong clutch
Intercopoler
and a nice quality log manifold

This seems to be the most popular and what ill go with most likely
Old 10-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few questions for you LS-T b00st heads. (TurboEM1)

Buy my kit. It's on a LS swap right now.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Default Re: A few questions for you LS-T b00st heads. (Snail Tuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snail Tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your only wanting to hit 250whp a T3/T4 may be to big. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i will have to disagree with you on that one...when i had my T3T4 660 trim on my Stock LS ( from TB to OIL pan.)

it was Great on the street.....full spool at about 3700rpm and was a smooth power band.
250whp 225 ft lbs on 10PSI.....

y waste $$ on getting a smaller turbo do you plan on never upgrading in anyway your set up ??? $$ wise get somethign 1 or 2 up from what you have now so that you have more room for adjustments..

after i built my LS bottom end i put a 62-1 ( big ****)
on 10psi its too much but it nice to have because u lacked the tire spin at low end because the Lag...but it would be great once i UPPed the PSI....

but like i said the t3t4 would be perfect...
Logs depends on who makes it I got a BMC and its GREAT...its all on the craftsmanship of the product..

personally i dont like Cast mani's like the inline pro/drag things of that sort...

good luck on your set up