Notices

can you turbo techies clear something up for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 09:06 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you turbo techies clear something up for me?

hi guys I haven't posted here
in a while but I still do alot of reading.

anyway on this other board..TI it is a semi private board this guy said a few things that don't sit well wilth me so I want some input thanks

(HIM)
Here what I'm putting on my car, and I've hit the junkyards up in Colorado for.....

50$ T3 turbo .63 A/R (comes on turbo fords in the mid 80's)
80$ Starion or 944 porsche intercooler
10$ 1g (90-94) eclipse Blow off valve. (good for 17psi)
20$ 1g (90-94) manual not A/T 440cc injectors
10$ resistor pack for high emp. injectors.
299 APEX VAFC for fuel control
400 Revhard or inline pro manifold
200 for piping, clamps, flanges, rubber, lines, gaskets.

(ME)
10 psi on a b18c5? that seems very high I suggest proper tunning before you go even near the 10 psi mark!
don't forget a FMU! to increase fuel as you get into boost a VAFC is NOT boost dependant.
also a down pipe will be needed aswell as a larger exhaust system
a EGT, oil pressure and boost gauge are a good idea.

(HIM)
The apex vafc and the injectors will handle fuel controll better then a FMU would any day. This is how most japanese turbo kits come, they dont use rising rate FMU's they use electronics, you can lean out the fuel curve at low rpms when you are not making boost, 440cc injectors will not cause idle probs, you alwasy want to keep the injectors size below the volume of one cylinder, which in a gsr's case is 449.25cc and a ls is a bit higfher then that. I have bosted 10psi on a b18c5, I have boosted 15 psi with only a greddy head gasket.

(ME)
the vafc is not boost dependant! the vacf can not tell if you are running 1 psi of boost or 7! please show the info you got the japanesse kits not using fmu's they must use aditional injectors with electronics..or a boost dependant piggyback cpu!
a fmu is for fuel management.. what if you get boost creep at least the fmu can compensate for the extra boost your vafc will not and you will lean out!
yes you can lean out the injectors (with the vafc)at a low rpm and enrichen it at high rpms.. but what happens when your not in boost.. you will be running very very rich at higher rpms.(highway driving!)
what happens if you wana raise the boost?
I am curious do you have any pics or dyno prof of you old 10psi b18c5? and is so what happened to it? did it have a vafc?
the vafc is a bandaid fix.. even hondata uses a 1:1 regulator vortec or AEM but they us a 3 BAR map sensor and the ECU monitors boost levels to add adition fuel.

maybe I'm wrong but using a VAFC to control fuel on a turbo b18c5 just don't seem right..
am I right about that??

[Modified by supersonic-rs, 10:17 AM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 09:13 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you turbo techies clear something up for me? (supersonic-rs)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=137901
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=192982
http://www.thedropshop.tv/vafc.htm

...it works for me.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

440cc injectors will not cause idle probs, you alwasy want to keep the injectors size below the volume of one cylinder, which in a gsr's case is 449.25cc and a ls is a bit higfher then that.

hehehe I like that. Someone should explain to him that the cc/min fuel flow rating of injectors has nothing to do with the literal volume of the combustion chamber with the piston at BDC.

Also, 10psi on b18c5 without race gas = bad idea haha.

Dustin
Old 07-25-2002, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you turbo techies clear something up for me? (DSF)

The VFAC will not compensate for the rise in boost, Regardless of what anyone says. All it does is at certain rpm levels rasie or lower the Fuel. Like you said before the carwill run rich when not in boost.

People need to read the brochues that come with these products before they make themselves look like asses on the internet.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you turbo techies clear something up for me? (Hyundai4G63T)

Uhmm...

The Vafc will "read" boost. The whole v-afc hack thing just drops voltage off the map sensor input to the ecu. So at full boost the ecu thinks you are at full load (atmospheric)
Old 07-25-2002, 09:31 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you turbo techies clear something up for me? (Hyundai4G63T)

People need to read the brochues that come with these products before they make themselves look like asses on the internet.
Ahem, you should read the threads I posted. There are several of us (myself included) who are using the VAFC without any trouble. Not that we are using it as intended, but it does in fact "work".

But I have to agree with Catain Obvious...the gentleman in question (in the original post) seems to come off as lacking certain knowledge

[Modified by DSF, 1:32 PM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Trial User

cool thanks for the links