Notices

boost spike....need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 06:28 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost spike....need help

I have a civic with a rev hard turbo kit on a B18C1 motor, inline pro headgasket, 3 inch thermal from a 2.5 in downpipe, and the wastegate is a tial. I have the boost set to about .85 bar with a greddy manual boost controller. The boost gauge is a greddy 60mm with memory. The problem i am having is that ocasionally if I get into it full throttle for any duration i will have a boost spike of anywhere from 1.1 bar to 1.45 bar, and it will stay this high unless I let off the throttle, the wierd thing is that afterward I can try to repeat the spike and get no higher than .85 bar, then all of a sudden while going through the gears i will see the warning flashing at me, I thought it was just a fluke but now it is happenning more. I am afraid to run it much now for fear of doing damage to the motor. Any ones input would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: boost spike....need help (RedKevin79)

how is the WG hooked up? Same thing happened to me with an HKS WG and we figured that hooking the vacuum source to the intake manifold was not a good idea...

hooked it up to the compressor housing and everything was fine
Old 05-21-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: boost spike....need help (Slow_ass_4dr)

yeah me to. i did not know what i was doing. dont use the part that says vacuume. only the one that says boost. i still get boost spikes with my delta gate but at the most is only .03bar. this is only at full throtle starting from first gear (or so it seems). i am sure this is because of my high flow exhaust and open wg.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) please tell me u have proper fuel management to run .85bar on a GSR motor.

2)how are your vacum lines hooked up? U sure everything is installed correctly?
Old 05-21-2002, 09:39 PM

tell us where you have everything T'd in
Old 05-22-2002, 04:28 AM
New User

the fueling for this car consists of rc 440's, fmu , and s-afc, stock fuel pump. Of the two vacuum ports on the wastegate the one off the top of the gate is going to the boost controller, the port off the side of the gate is going directly to a vacuum port on the manifold (which is tee'd to several different sources, not check valves though!). The other side of the boost controller goes to another seperate vacuum source on the manifold. My set-up is of vacuum lines is copied exactly from another car running the almost exact set-up, with exception of the exhaust system, he is having no problems with boost spike. Now he is running a more restrictive system a little smaller than 2.5 inch. Oh yeah by the way last night driving again, its been the worst its ever been, getting on it going throught the gears on my way home it wouldnt goabove .83 bar, then after waiting at a light for a little while I got on it and got up to about 120mph, then as I stopped at my destination I checked the memory, It read 1.45 bar! I kid you not. Car is running fine though. I need to get this problem fixed.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:30 AM
New User

Default Re: boost spike....need help (tonydatyga)

the fueling for this car consists of rc 440's, fmu , and s-afc, stock fuel pump. Of the two vacuum ports on the wastegate the one off the top of the gate is going to the boost controller, the port off the side of the gate is going directly to a vacuum port on the manifold (which is tee'd to several different sources, not check valves though!). The other side of the boost controller goes to another seperate vacuum source on the manifold. My set-up is of vacuum lines is copied exactly from another car running the almost exact set-up, with exception of the exhaust system, he is having no problems with boost spike. Now he is running a more restrictive system a little smaller than 2.5 inch. Oh yeah by the way last night driving again, its been the worst its ever been, getting on it going throught the gears on my way home it wouldnt goabove .83 bar, then after waiting at a light for a little while I got on it and got up to about 120mph, then as I stopped at my destination I checked the memory, It read 1.45 bar! I kid you not. Car is running fine though. I need to get this problem fixed.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what boost controller do you have?
Old 05-22-2002, 05:32 AM
New User

Default Re: boost spike....need help (Slow_ass_4dr)

greddy t.v.v.c. type mini mbc
Old 05-22-2002, 06:15 AM

just disconnect the vaccuume port. and only use the one that says boost. and see if that works
Old 05-22-2002, 07:57 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what spring is in your tial wastegate?

I have never used the greddy manual, but if it works anything like the other MBC's then u have it installed incorrectly. Try this out, if it doesnt work then I have no idea what the problem is, but unhook the vacum line off the top port of the wastegate, leave that port open. Now, put the boost controller inline w/ the side port and the manifold.. turn it to 0 and reset your boost settings. see if it that works.