Notices

AZ_CIVIC'S Build, Testing Things, ETC.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:50 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: AZ_CIVIC'S Build, Testing Things, ETC.

Originally Posted by Txdragon
For real! That's my beef at the moment. Got the 300 milestone passed, want 500 now. Just getting it done is one thing, you're doing it for a purpose which makes it even better.
That's why I'll be driving around on an un-boosted but built engine and tranny for a little while...shooting for 300 whp, but know I'll want more, so building for 500+ whp.

AZ_Civic - I know you went with DSS axles, but do you have any experience with Insane Shafts, or have you heard one way or the other about them?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by extremeracer
The Tilton clutch-fluid control valve works, we ran them on both street/drag and full drag applications. Did you get different size 'pills' with it as well to adjust the pressure release ?

Thank you for this build/update thread, it's what made H-T great in the past. Now days car community forums are dying out fast as everyone just uses Instagram and the technical contributions are non-existent.
Yeah my buddy is using it as well and said it works well and yes the Tilton came with a pill inside and two additional sizes. I am going with the largest pill at first and will see how it works and go from there.

I've always tried to post up what I am doing and working on, I am on some of the Facebook Racing pages but most of them really have turned into for sale things. I like Forums way better.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
For real! That's my beef at the moment. Got the 300 milestone passed, want 500 now. Just getting it done is one thing, you're doing it for a purpose which makes it even better.
Yep I do it for the fun but I also like competing in events.

Originally Posted by DaX
That's why I'll be driving around on an un-boosted but built engine and tranny for a little while...shooting for 300 whp, but know I'll want more, so building for 500+ whp.

AZ_Civic - I know you went with DSS axles, but do you have any experience with Insane Shafts, or have you heard one way or the other about them?
I have not used Insane Shafts but I have heard they break. There was a guy on here who used their 1000 horsepower axles and broke them every event and he was only making 800 horsepower.

Let me put it this way, I ran DSS 2.9 axles in my car for 11 years with out breaking them, I was running them with over 800whp running mid 9's and those are only rated to 475whp. The quality from DSS is awesome and I highly recommend them especially if you are only planning on like 300-600whp, they should last a very long time.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

AZ, do you do most of your own tuning yourself? I’m debating on some timing adjustments before this weekend and would love a second opinion on something
Old 11-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
AZ, do you do most of your own tuning yourself? I’m debating on some timing adjustments before this weekend and would love a second opinion on something
That is a 100% Negative LOL, I'm on Motec, my buddy Joe does all the tuning.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
That is a 100% Negative LOL, I'm on Motec, my buddy Joe does all the tuning.
lol. No biggie, I’m trying to push myself into the 120’s this weekend and I know the car has plenty of room for play in the timing, but I’m going to have to do it while on the track since I can’t get back to a dyno. I’ve got 8deg of timing pulled at 10 psi and I’m running as low as 10.2 air/fuel and max 11.2 air/fuel while on the track, I’m going to add some timing back and lean it out a little while adding some race fuel to project against knock. I’m gussing that I’m losing about 40-50hp with the way I have things currently, but I know it’s very safe
Old 11-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I decided to make baffles on my valve cover fittings to help from oil being forced through the fittings. My current valve cover has no baffling so I am hoping this helps.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think this will hurt the air flow with the amount of pressure you’ll build? I’m sure you can test blowing some air through them and see if there is much back pressure. It should help keep the oil in the motor while the air passes by
Old 11-21-2018, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think this will hurt the air flow with the amount of pressure you’ll build? I’m sure you can test blowing some air through them and see if there is much back pressure. It should help keep the oil in the motor while the air passes by
Air was flowing through with ease but also remember I also have a big -16 tube built into my oil pan that will help with crank pressure as well.

I’m going to be working on a couple things with my oil can next and post up the plans with that next.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is what I’m working on now. Last time out some oil was pushing out the filters and getting all over the top of the oil can. It was leaking and running down all sides onto everything so I am fabing up some sides to keep any oil contained so I can clean it up.

Iam am also going to get some filters with the little metal shields around them as well but so far I got all the sides cut out and now I just have to weld them.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you welding it yourself?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you welding it yourself?
Yes, been doing a lot of practicing and since this is not a structural part I have no problem doing it.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC

Yes, been doing a lot of practicing and since this is not a structural part I have no problem doing it.
welds look really good, nice job. I’ve got to start practicing on tig, I’ve got mig down
Old 11-23-2018, 08:05 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

This is the best kind of practice.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep this one of those things I’m not worried about. Welding the oil pan I wasn’t comfortable with just yet but I’m just practicing as much as I can.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got the box all welded up but came across a problem I didn't really think about. So I wanted to clean my catch can because my motor let go last year so I got a big container and used degreaser and water to clean it out and as I was doing this there was a bunch of metal shaving coming out. After about an hour I didn't see anymore coming out and everything looked clean. Anyway next day I was like I should put a quart of oil inside slosh it around and make sure any water residue or anything left over would come out. Sure enough I put a quart of oil in and it looks like a motor blew up in there LOL, just tons of shavings and pieces of junk. So I get a generic 5 quarts of oil and start dumping sloshing and repeating and no matter what tons of crap is coming out.

At this point I do not feel safe to use this the way it is and with the amount of crap coming out it would have hurt my motor. So the plan now is to cut the box open and remove the packing material stuff and replace it with fresh stuff and clean the entire inside. Or I've even thought of just starting from scratch, these little things are starting to get annoying though.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:51 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

AZ - would a dry sump setup provide any solutions to the issue you're seeing with running such high boost and pushing oil into the catch can? I seem to remember Z10 had a dry sump setup back in the day, but I don't feel like I saw many (any?) folks using it. I'm not suggesting one here - asking a genuine question.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
AZ - would a dry sump setup provide any solutions to the issue you're seeing with running such high boost and pushing oil into the catch can? I seem to remember Z10 had a dry sump setup back in the day, but I don't feel like I saw many (any?) folks using it. I'm not suggesting one here - asking a genuine question.
Honestly I haven't heard of any import drag racers doing this. This would require another holding tank and multiple oil pumps to run so not sure how this would really work for a drag car.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Are the ports to the filters open tubes?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
Are the ports to the filters open tubes?
That area is packed with that steel wool stuff they typically use for catch cans, not sure what the "official" name for that stuff is called but there is all kinds of internal baffling in there.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I call it steel wool; but I'm sure there's some technical name out there for it as well. If you are rebuilding the can , or the top of the can then you should try using baffled filter ports as well.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
I call it steel wool; but I'm sure there's some technical name out there for it as well. If you are rebuilding the can , or the top of the can then you should try using baffled filter ports as well.
Good call, that is something to think about for sure.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man car looks amazing.. motivation for my em1. you bringing it out to ifo in tucson january 6th
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96accordsir
man car looks amazing.. motivation for my em1. you bringing it out to ifo in tucson january 6th
I would like to bring it out to Tucson and race.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got the little walls I made all welded up and done and after I finished decided to clean the box out. Unfortunately I spent hours soaking it and trying to get shaving and broken pieces of the motor out and it just kept coming. So what I ended up doing was cutting the entire backside of the box out, removing all baffling and brillo pad filling. I had to degrease and clean that thing like crazy but finally got it fully cleaned out. Added new baffling steps on the inside, new brillo pad, and added extra baffling on the filter exist holes.

Also welded some tabs on the weight ballast as well as adding some mounting bungs on the intercooler to get it all held in place. So now I just need to get those pieces installed back in the car and hopefully everything still fits LOL.

Quick Reply: AZ_CIVIC'S Build, Testing Things, ETC.