Notices

AZ_CIVIC'S Build, Testing Things, ETC.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: AZ_CIVIC'S Build, Testing Things, ETC.

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Bass fishing is huge around here and I only thought that was expensive!!! But, it's all in what you enjoy. As long as you don't put your family in a bind have at it is how I view things. I appreciate your sharing some of the costs, it definitely adds a new perspective to things.
My brother is an AVID fisherman and he has more invested in his fishing gear than I had in my last TWO cars. Lol! When a single lure can run upwards of 20 bucks and you have a tray full of them; and can lose them on the first cast out of the package.. Yup.. That's costly lol!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
My brother is an AVID fisherman and he has more invested in his fishing gear than I had in my last TWO cars. Lol! When a single lure can run upwards of 20 bucks and you have a tray full of them; and can lose them on the first cast out of the package.. Yup.. That's costly lol!
Yes it is! Seems like it's those guys with the nice bass boats and new trucks that think I'm crazy for tinkering with older cars. Maybe they're the crazy ones?? Lol.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Got my 7.5 cage certification!

​​​​​​​
Old 09-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Awesome! Congratulations man!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a few items for the block: The head will be going on soon and I had to get a few odds and ends that I needed, then claying and degree the cams. From there hoping I can get some time to go down and start installing everything.

New Timing Belt Tensioner
OBD2 crankshaft timing gear
OBD2 Crank position sensor
OBD2 Lower timing cover

Old 09-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on the cage! Guess I missed that. You gonna be writing up the clay process?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Congrats on the cage! Guess I missed that. You gonna be writing up the clay process?
No sir, if there is one thing I will not attempt to build or work on it's a 1300whp race motor LOL. My buddy Aaron and Joe basically do all block work in house, they do all the sleeving, decking, honing, notching the block, line boring and Joe owns a full CNC shop. I'm using his 6 point billet aluminum mains for this setup and if it's one thing I do not want to mess up on, it's the motor.

I mean paying an extra $800 dollars to have my entire bottom end built and then head assembled, clayed installed and cams degreed by a guy who builds race motors everyday is worth every penny LOL. One the motor is complete I will head down there and start the process of getting every else back together and installed into the car.

I will get some pictures soon when everything is coming together and of the motor.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
No sir, if there is one thing I will not attempt to build or work on it's a 1300whp race motor LOL. My buddy Aaron and Joe basically do all block work in house, they do all the sleeving, decking, honing, notching the block, line boring and Joe owns a full CNC shop. I'm using his 6 point billet aluminum mains for this setup and if it's one thing I do not want to mess up on, it's the motor.

I mean paying an extra $800 dollars to have my entire bottom end built and then head assembled, clayed installed and cams degreed by a guy who builds race motors everyday is worth every penny LOL. One the motor is complete I will head down there and start the process of getting every else back together and installed into the car.

I will get some pictures soon when everything is coming together and of the motor.
Wow bro your doing big things. Running 5's with a fwd is quite the accomplishment.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Wow bro your doing big things. Running 5's with a fwd is quite the accomplishment.
Thanks man!! This new setup should have no reason not to run 8.3's or 40's here in Phoenix and no reason I shouldn't get that 1/8th mile down to 5.6 or 5.5 honestly. I've also been throwing around the idea of AWD but will not be trying this until the right things come together.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Thanks man!! This new setup should have no reason not to run 8.3's or 40's here in Phoenix and no reason I shouldn't get that 1/8th mile down to 5.6 or 5.5 honestly. I've also been throwing around the idea of AWD but will not be trying this until the right things come together.
Hey AZ, how much do you know about the proper timing per psi ratio. Everyone say power is in the timing and I’m a little nervous about cranking things up. Right now I think things are set to pull 1deg per psi. I’m just learning the software (ectune) and could use a few tips if anybody has them.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1° per pound is a generalized base. It could be more or less depending on other factors, but it's not a bad start.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've mentioned it before but I would like to eventually go B-series AWD when they start coming out with parts that are capable of handling high horsepower. Well my buddy and owner of Locash CNC was throwing around the idea that for the rear end you can use a Ford 8.8 except the gearing may need some work. Anyway I was on Facebook and a company Alfatech is now going to be offering a Billet Case and Billet Transfer Case which is a problem thus far with the CRV setup. My buddy was actually thinking of modifying the existing Liberty Billet B series housing to except a Billet Transfer case because then you could use the regular B-series shift linkage and keep the PPG Gearsets we use.

Anyway I thought that was some good news that AWD is really starting to take off in the right direction which gives me hope that my car will eventually hit that 7 second mark LOL.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It does seem that awd is becoming more popular which is great in my opinion. Humble Performance is doing an awd hatch which should be interesting.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It does seem that awd is becoming more popular which is great in my opinion. Humble Performance is doing an awd hatch which should be interesting.
Exactly, I mean it's good news all the way around. 1 it is extremely hard to get into the 7's with FWD, even though there are a couple cars that did it, it is probably way easier with a good AWD setup. 2. It's good for street cars that daily drive but want some good traction on the streets.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If they can stay together they should be pretty menacing on the street. 700whp hooking all of it in a 2200lb car is nuts.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly, I mean it's good news all the way around. 1 it is extremely hard to get into the 7's with FWD, even though there are a couple cars that did it, it is probably way easier with a good AWD setup. 2. It's good for street cars that daily drive but want some good traction on the streets.
I agree. The more popular it gets among the big guys the more trickles down to people like me. I would have to pay for all the fab work, so it's not feasable at this time for me, but hopefully in the future it will be practical.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
If they can stay together they should be pretty menacing on the street. 700whp hooking all of it in a 2200lb car is nuts.
That would be amazing!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree. The more popular it gets among the big guys the more trickles down to people like me. I would have to pay for all the fab work, so it's not feasable at this time for me, but hopefully in the future it will be practical.

That would be amazing!
Exactly, I know Hasport is currently working on AWD motor mounts and I have hear of some fabrication shops "legit shops" putting together trailing arm kits etc. driveshafts etc. can be made buy lots of places and heck you can get custom ones made from places like DSS. The killer for higher HP B-series cars was issues with the transfer case blowing up which a billet case will solve and when people start developing better gearsets that would also solve big issues. Now I would love to have some sort of adapter kit for my trans since I already have a PPG gearset and Liberty Bell Housing. If that were the case I wouldn't need any mounts, no cable shifters junk and just get the rest done.

So as the popularity increases parts will be made and become more affordable and eventually 7 second Honda/Acura's will be the new norm, which for me is exciting LOL.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly, I know Hasport is currently working on AWD motor mounts and I have hear of some fabrication shops "legit shops" putting together trailing arm kits etc. driveshafts etc. can be made buy lots of places and heck you can get custom ones made from places like DSS. The killer for higher HP B-series cars was issues with the transfer case blowing up which a billet case will solve and when people start developing better gearsets that would also solve big issues. Now I would love to have some sort of adapter kit for my trans since I already have a PPG gearset and Liberty Bell Housing. If that were the case I wouldn't need any mounts, no cable shifters junk and just get the rest done.

So as the popularity increases parts will be made and become more affordable and eventually 7 second Honda/Acura's will be the new norm, which for me is exciting LOL.
QSD is making their h2b adapter compatible with awd now also. It's going to be neat to see how this market progresses in the future.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah i guess you have both:
"how ill make my car awd"
"How the awd system will hande 1000awhp"
Well its gonna be tough.
I know a Greek gear machine shop i know the owner that sent some trans and probably custom transfer ans rear diff to a red AWD civic in US.
It works for 1000+ on that car so far. You might know it. The shop generally has good prices for what he offers. He gave me a "friendly" price of 2000$ for 1000hp 4x straight cut gears and cuff assembled by them.This summer i drove a synchro straightcut 700HP opel. Almost ZERO noise i couldnt believe it and the gear changes were so smooth.

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 09-15-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are just a die hard Honda fan you should move on to the S2000 platform. I am going for mid 5's with my fox body/coyote/6R80/76mm set-up. RWD is soooooo much easier to go fast with. Plus you get to pull the front wheels which is fuuuun. You are absolutely killing it though as it is. Much respect!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
If you are just a die hard Honda fan you should move on to the S2000 platform. I am going for mid 5's with my fox body/coyote/6R80/76mm set-up. RWD is soooooo much easier to go fast with. Plus you get to pull the front wheels which is fuuuun. You are absolutely killing it though as it is. Much respect!
Well, I've really thought about transitioning over to RWD, the thing that stopped me was the money I have invested in the current setup and we all know the loss when trying to part out everything. I really like fox body Mustangs and really wanted to go that route, what has me sticking with what I got at this point is the new motor setup on the car. I should have no problems getting this into mid 5's 1/8ths and lower 8 second quarter mile times.

Another thing that has me sticking with this car is AWD, I mean alfatech just announced they are coming out with a new billet AWD CRV trans case and billet transfer case. I've also talked with my buddy about using the Mustang 8.8 rear end which would be a hell of a good rear end for a Honda LOL.

Either way end goal is to break into the 7's with AWD if possible and that's it. Anything faster is just too much money LOL.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:55 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

You would basically be correct, a lot of the fastest Hondas in the country are shopped owned cars built to basically showcase their shop to get customers. I am sure a lot of these shops get discounted parts, have sponsors and help from teams of people. Every once in a while you have guys like me that am not a shop owner, I have no sponsorships and no one who pays for my car but me. The only thing I do not pay for is tuning which is done by my buddy and owner of Locash CNC. Now he is a dealer for some different parts and I will buy parts at his cost but honestly you don't save much. I mean you may be a part for $1400 instead of $1600 you know, nothing too big. However when my buddy needs things painted or detailed I basically return the favor and do those things for nothing.

The only other recent deal I got was from Comp Turbo who rebuilt my turbo which saved me around $500 bucks, but other than that when I go out to the track it's just me and my son working on my car and Joe checking my logs and making adjustments on the tune each pass. Other than that I have paid for everything on my car.
i can definitely attest to that statement above

love seeing your car go down the track
Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hasport
i can definitely attest to that statement above

love seeing your car go down the track
Thanks guys much appreciated! Now hurry up and get them AWD mounts made LOL.

Quick Reply: AZ_CIVIC'S Build, Testing Things, ETC.