Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

weird metal noise from engine....maybe throw-out bearing. sounds kinda like something spinning

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird metal noise from engine....maybe throw-out bearing. sounds kinda like something spinning

well i noticed a weird noise from my car. first i will describe the noise

It sounds kinda like something metal, its hard to describe. its pretty loud, loud enuf to be heard over exhaust and big cams. its usually short like a second or too but ive heard it up to a few seconds. seems like its from the left side of the engine bay. at first i thought it was somthing rubbing against maybe my wheel or brakes as i just put new tires on so had the wheels off. kinda sounds like something spinning

now this is usually when it happens
i notice it usually at lower RPMS. usually never abover 4k. like i said it last short. i usually at first only heard it inbetween shifts (not all the time) made me think throuw out bearing (it has only 20k on it) but it seems louder on the dirvers side soo makes me think twice. and also i have a surging idle. it goes from 1500-2500 and when the idle falls from 2500 and as soon as it hits 1500 or so i can hear it untill the idle jumps right back up. and it does it occasionally while crusing. more noticable when im in high gear low rpms like 5th gear 20mph at whatever rpm like 2k or whatever.

like i said the only possabilities i can think of is
throwout bearing
or soemthing rubbing on disk break etc...but i dont understand while being stationary (at dile) it would still happen.

ne opinions welcomed
Old 01-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird metal noise from engine....maybe throw-out bearing. sounds kinda like something spinning

i'm really tired and i didn't read your post, but a way to see if it is the throwout bearing:
-have someone step in the car and let him turn on the car.
-let the car idle, and tell him to step in the clutch and see if it the sound go away after like 5 secs (when you step on the clutch the bearing rotates till it stops rotating) and if when he lets the clutch out it should start to make noise again
Old 03-10-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: weird metal noise from engine....maybe throw-out bearing. sounds kinda like something spinning

I thought it was the revearse of this. Makes noise when clutch pedal is pressed.