Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Installing Arp Head Studs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Arp Head Studs

Hey Im having a little problem here installing my arp head studs. Ive already stripped out two studs trying to torq them down to 80ft lps using the molley lube suppied with the studs. Im using a impact strenght 3/16 hex socket. And I can only get a good torq down to 55 ft lps befor i begin to strip the inside of the studs. I also noted that when i pulled out one of the studs after hand tighting it down there was excess motor oil on them, could this cause any problem while trying to torq these.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing Arp Head Studs

It sounds like you're trying to torque the studs to 80 lb ft into the block, which is not a good idea. If this is the case, I would take the studs out and inspect the threads in your block for signs of stripping. The studs are supposed to go into the block hand-tight, or 10 lb ft at most. After the head is on, you torque the nuts to the appropriate spec for the lubricant you're using, be it oil or ARP Moly Lube.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

woah........ya looks like you were trying to torque the studs into the block...not a good idea. carfulley read the instructions again.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:26 PM

Man do feel like an donkys rear end, i went over and over the instructions to make sure i wasn't doing any thing stupid talk about kicking some one when there down.....Any thoughts on what i should do know??????
Old 04-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well...as long as you can remove the studs from the block easily and the threads are not damaged then you will be ok.

just double nut the stud. tighten the two nuts together with 2 wrenches and reverse the stud out of the block.

you don't need the allen key head part of the studs anyway. you just need to hand tighten them into the block.

make sure you use compressed air and blow out all the oil from each head bolt hole before you try and put the studs in again.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
well...as long as you can remove the studs from the block easily and the threads are not damaged then you will be ok.

just double nut the stud. tighten the two nuts together with 2 wrenches and reverse the stud out of the block.

you don't need the allen key head part of the studs anyway. you just need to hand tighten them into the block.

make sure you use compressed air and blow out all the oil from each head bolt hole before you try and put the studs in again.
well the oil in the wholes is that normal cuz the block is still in the car and i would hate to get oil every where from that compressed air
Old 04-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to blow the oil out of the holes. put a rag over each hole as you blow into it with compressed air.

if you leave the oil in there the studs will not thread all the way down into the block and you run the risk of cracking the block as the oil trapped under the stud expands with heat.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good info ^