Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Sqeak When Break Pedal Released

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Sqeak When Break Pedal Released

Hello! I have an '02 Honda Civic LX 5 Speed with 87K Miles on it. It is my first car, I just brought it 3 mo. ago. I work fixing computers, I am hoping to learn about my car.

It has been alright nothing noticeable until now. But the breaks squeak when released after having been pushed down. This isn't that squeal where the breaks need to be replaced, its sounds internal to the cabin (as far as i can tell; NOT GUARANTEED) and is relativity quiet. BUT, i noticed that this only occurs after actually breaking (while the car is on). Playing with the pedal buy itself while the car was off i could not get it to yield a squeak. All the searching i have yet done yields the obvious answer (wasn't to me) that the pivot point of the break pedal needs to be lubed up.

My only concern is:
A.) Does the fact that this only occurs after breaking physically while the car is on mean that the problem is not in the motion of the pedal but of something else only tripped when actually breaking? If so then any ideas?
B.) If it is the break pedal pivot point that needs to be lubed: Is WD-40 Acceptable? and is the any special procedure needed to lube them up. I noticed the fuse box and other electrical components back there, Do i just make sure to be careful where i spray?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sqeak When Break Pedal Released

Congrats on the car purchase. WD-40 should be fine for now to see if it is just a lube problem. I usually use a silicone lube that liquid wrench makes for my pedals because it attracts less dirt and seems to last longer.
As long as you spray carefully you should be fine, you can put down a towel or something if you are really worried but you're not going to hurt anything, it is just messy stuff if you get it all over your interior.
If you can't replicate the sound with the car off I would think maybe there is a noise coming from the brake booster. Try lubing the pedal and go from there.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Gekko
Congrats on the car purchase. WD-40 should be fine for now to see if it is just a lube problem. I usually use a silicone lube that liquid wrench makes for my pedals because it attracts less dirt and seems to last longer.
As long as you spray carefully you should be fine, you can put down a towel or something if you are really worried but you're not going to hurt anything, it is just messy stuff if you get it all over your interior.
If you can't replicate the sound with the car off I would think maybe there is a noise coming from the brake booster. Try lubing the pedal and go from there.
Hmm. I tried to lubricate the break pedal pivot point with no results. I removed the Plates over under the drive side stering wheel by the break labeled FUSE (near knees) & The plate with no label above the break pedal (facing feet) and sprayed WD40 on the top of the break pedal where its connected to a cylindrical rod! Either this was incorrect or not the pivot point! I am starting to think it may be under the hood! If it is are there any special instructions i need to know about lubricating that? Thank you for advice btw.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as I know there isn't anything in the brake system under the hood that you can just spray WD-40 on to lubricate.
You said the squeak is only noticeable when the car is running right? I'd get someone to help you and start up the car and have them press the pedal while you listen under the hood for the squeak. You could also start up the car and lay in the floor board where you were spraying the pedals and press the pedal by hand and see if the sound is inside the cabin.
Or, did I misinterpret what you wrote and the squeak only occurs after actually using the brakes while moving?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Trial User

Sorry if i wasn't as clear as i could have been. The sqeak only occurs when releasing the brake pedal from down to up after actualy having depressed the break pedal fully (or close to it , further than i can get with the car off), whether the car is on or off when i release it.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you sure its not the break pads? O_o?

once pads or getting shorter and shorter, theyre meant to squeal
Old 10-22-2010, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yang925
The sqeak only occurs when releasing the brake pedal from down to up after actualy having depressed the break pedal fully (or close to it , further than i can get with the car off), whether the car is on or off when i release it.
Okay so I assume you mean when you are not rolling? That eliminates the brake pads as a culprit. It sounds like maybe your master cylinder is just squeaking a little. The clutch master cylinder in my RX-8 squeaks from time to time when I release the clutch. It isn't a problem but I know that it can be annoying.

You could try flushing your brake system and putting in new brake fluid. If it is an '02 with 87k miles the previous owner(s) might not have ever had the brake fluid changed anyway, couldn't hurt to do it.

Search on here for a writeup on changing brake fluid, I assume an '02 has ABS so you probably can't just pump the brakes to flush it like in my car ('91 Integra, non ABS). Also you'll want to make sure and not press the pedal too far, there was a post about it in the Brakes section on here but I can't find it anymore. Try this though: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/maste...ace/index.html
Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be the brake dust cover rubbing on the rotor. I have to bend mine back a little occasionally.