Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obd2 - obd1 confusion..searched, its not a problem.. just weird..??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2 - obd1 confusion..searched, its not a problem.. just weird..??

ok i have a 96 cx ek, obd2. and i have a 93 cx civic eg,obd1 w/b16a. well i thot it was obd1 till i matched my obd2a harness to my b16a thats supposidly obd1... But.. the dizzy doesnt have 2 plugs like obd1 dizzy's supposed to have? it has one. and my obd2a dizzy plug plugs right into it, aswell as the alternator. the alternator not even round or square. its like flat green 3 pin. both my EK harness and EG harness plugged into it no problem.... even the injectors are the same? and i thot i was supposed to change all those? the only plug i need to change is the iacv wich is correct its a 3pin not 2. so that is ok. but the rest im confused. . my ecu is obd1 (p30). unless the previous owner of the eg switched the dizzy/alternator plug/injectors to obd2 for some odd reason?.. it doesnt make sence to me. the b16a is like a first gen. ill get the date printed on the motor. and post it. but..i was told it was a b16A.

if the dizzy/alternator/injectors plug in then thats totaly fine with me.. less work.. haha but if they plug in..and the wires are different on each side of the plug. then thats wut im tryna figure out. im gunna take a look at some diagrams and see wich colors matcch up. and if itll actuallywork.

sorry for the long msg, i just wanna get this cleared up before i do anthing.

thanx in advance

J
Old 02-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: obd2 - obd1 confusion..searched, its not a problem.. just weird..?? (ek4kid)

It sounds like the previous owner converted your 93 EG civic to OBD2a spec in either 2 ways:

1) He used a 96-01 OBD2 integra engine wire harness (which plugs right into OBD1 civic/integra chassis's)

or

2) He reused the existing OBD1 engine harness and moddified it by changing the dizzy, alternator, and injector plugs over to OBD2 plugs.

why he converted the 93 EG civic is beyond me, but perhaps the B16A motor was originally OBD2 spec, although you're claiming you have a 1st gen B16...so I duno...
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd2 - obd1 confusion..searched, its not a problem.. just weird..?? (Katman)

thanx for the reply katman

hmm when i unloomed the harness some wires "seem'ed" like they were touched, cuz they retaped a lot of it. it wasnt messy at all looks clean thats why i cant really tell if he did mess with the harness or not. but the vtec/vtec pressure sensors were in the harness already... the only sensor that wasnt was the knock sensor wich was routed alone in a single wire. soo he could have used some vtec harness. not sure..

but since my obd2a dizzy/alternator plug/injectors plug right in that means i dont have to repin anything? im going to go over the dizzy wiring obd1-obd2 to make sure the wires are matched up.

i got another question:

can i use the axles that came outta my swapped b16a eg into my EK when i install the b16a in there? aswell as the shift linkage? i mite test fit it tonite if i dont get a reply in time or tomrorw. but if i get a reply it saves me time and the trouble haha. i was reading somwhere on here that u can? but im not sure. cuz most ppl use 94+ integ axles in ek's and 92ish ones in eg's?

well thanx for the reply.

J
Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd2 - obd1 confusion..searched, its not a problem.. just weird..?? (ek4kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx for the reply katman

but since my obd2a dizzy/alternator plug/injectors plug right in that means i dont have to repin anything? im going to go over the dizzy wiring obd1-obd2 to make sure the wires are matched up.

From the sound of it, yea it looks like you don't need to wiring anything up. Although, I'd probably trace the VTEC wiring from the ecu plugs out to the VTEC sensor just to be sure..

i got another question:

can i use the axles that came outta my swapped b16a eg into my EK when i install the b16a in there? aswell as the shift linkage? i mite test fit it tonite if i dont get a reply in time or tomrorw. but if i get a reply it saves me time and the trouble haha. i was reading somwhere on here that u can? but im not sure. cuz most ppl use 94+ integ axles in ek's and 92ish ones in eg's?

Yes, you can fully use the B-series axles & shift linkage from the EG into the EK chassis. Totally compatible. Integra axles and shift linkages are the same as B-series shift linkages & axles. The only shift linkage you need to stay away from is the delsol linkage....its only compatible with Delsol chassis's.

well thanx for the reply.

J</TD></TR></TABLE>

you know, are you sure the ecu is a P30? I know the sticker on the outside might read 'p30' but I'm curious if the internals of the ecu are P30.

Can you tell me what size/bodytype your ecu looks like?

Reason I bring this up is that maybe the ecu has non-vtec internals that someone swapped out or something...

Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd2 - obd1 confusion..searched, its not a problem.. just weird..?? (Katman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you know, are you sure the ecu is a P30? I know the sticker on the outside might read 'p30' but I'm curious if the internals of the ecu are P30.

Can you tell me what size/bodytype your ecu looks like?

Reason I bring this up is that maybe the ecu has non-vtec internals that someone swapped out or something...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

its the usdm one (normal one), not the jdm square one. if the ecu has non-vtec internals? how would vtec swich over? i opened up the ecu a while back and thers a socket in it for chipping? i forget wut its called, a ziff? .. its the one that the chip sits on and has a lever on it.. and it seems liek the previous owner was going to chip it.. but didnt do it fully? the other resistor type parts needed for a chipped ecu isnt there. hmm i can take a picture tonite and post it up if u wanna see wut im talkin about, aswell the socket with the lever is also not even soldierd down.. they unsoldered the holes for it.and poped that in then left it there unsecured...?..

the only plug that doesnt match up is the iacv wich my harness is a 3 pin and the one on my b16a was the 2 pin. so i gotta swich that over. thats basically the only wiring i need to do. oh and im making my own obd2a-obd1 conversion harness.. iv got wich wires to where from another forum pacman posted up. soo im hoping itll match both my ecu's. iv looked at both diagrams of ecu and so far they match up . soo im gunna make it and see if everyhtin starts up w/no cel's.

thanx a lot for the replies katman
Old 02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its the usdm one (normal one), not the jdm square one. if the ecu has non-vtec internals? how would vtec swich over?

VTEC wouldn't switch over at all if someone swapped out the ecu internal board to that of a non-vtec board . The ecu would run like normal, as if it was an LS ecu for instance. I'm just making an assumption that your ecu could possibly be non-vtec being the problems you're having.

i opened up the ecu a while back and thers a socket in it for chipping? i forget wut its called, a ziff? .. its the one that the chip sits on and has a lever on it.. and it seems liek the previous owner was going to chip it.. but didnt do it fully? the other resistor type parts needed for a chipped ecu isnt there. hmm i can take a picture tonite and post it up if u wanna see wut im talkin about, aswell the socket with the lever is also not even soldierd down.. they unsoldered the holes for it and poped that in then left it there unsecured...?..

yes, the ecu "socket" with a lever is known as a 'Ziff' socket. If what you're telling me is true, and there is no eprom chip sitting inside the Ziff socket, this could be a problem, especially if J1 is jumped and there's no eprom chip inside sitting inside the socket. You will get a check light and the car will run like poop and throw a check light as soon as you turn the car on, and will not rev past 3500rpm. But from the sound of it, the previous owner did socket or have the ecu socketed for a chip.

YES pictures ALWAYS help...so if you could post some images that would be great, also PLEASE use your macro mode if you take a photo upclose (flower icon), so your pics will come out clear and not blurry

the only plug that doesnt match up is the iacv wich my harness is a 3 pin and the one on my b16a was the 2 pin. so i gotta swich that over. thats basically the only wiring i need to do. oh and im making my own obd2a-obd1 conversion harness.. iv got wich wires to where from another forum pacman posted up. soo im hoping itll match both my ecu's. iv looked at both diagrams of ecu and so far they match up . soo im gunna make it and see if everyhtin starts up w/no cel's.

ok, yeah you need to modify your engine harness accordingly so the ecu will be pleased. So since you're using a CX/DX EK wire harness, you need to perform the IACV mod and your IACV code should go away..good luck with building your own harness!

thanx a lot for the replies katman </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well iv used this ecu/motor in my eg last summer, and vtec did cross over pretty loud and pulled some aswell. so i dont think its an ls ecu, and the J1 jumper is still untouched. thats why i was scratchin my head when i saw only a ziff was installed and nothing else? and the motor still ran fine without any CEL lights.. once ina while the CEL would go on then shut off. i forget wut i pulled the code as:s.. but if it goes again ill let you know. i will take some pics of it once i get batteries for my cam.

yeah after i convert the iacv im gunna try start my motor up with my stock EK ecu..would that be fine? just to see if my motor wiring is correct? Then make the conversion harness.. just so i kno i didnt mess up anything during my harness conversion. . .

and Yeahhh i hope my conversion harness works its gunna save me 100 bucks lol.. hha ill post up how it goes i should get it in by tomorrow. and im gunna see if it starts up with the D ecu i searched about it, and a guy said it should start but he doesnt kno how itll run... :s

u have any experience on chrome/uberdata? i think i mite go chrome and learn how to street tune. if u have any site recomendations that would be awesome. if not i have a few.

thanx a lot Katman
J