Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cel code 9 (CYP) even after CKF mod...SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cel code 9 (CYP) even after CKF mod...SOLVED

00 b18c5 swap into 98 civic cx using 96-98 non-vtec engine wiring harness. i performed all necessary mods including CKF mod to make harness work with swap. i'll try to explain this in chronological order...........

no CEL with key in position 2. when started, engine sputters for about 1/2 sec then after steadly idles around 1200 to 1400 rpm. CEL comes on after engine sputters. engine responds well to blips in throttle. on P28, i jumped the blue connector to pull codes. read 9 quick pulses for CEL 9: #1 Cylinder Position (CYP sensor). on the stock 96-98 civic cx ecu, i had a scanner hooked up and was able to pull codes p1381 Cylinder Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption and p1509 IAC Valve Current Failure (this is probably due to the IACV mod, car wouldnt idle with this ecu).

at this point, i rechecked the wiring for the CKF mod. *note* i actually made a mistake when performing the CKF mod. i performed method 1 and method 2 from the get go. i didnt see the updated link at first. i figure thats what caused the CEL 9 to come on. so i went ahead and rewired so wiring would be if only method 1 was performed. fired the car up and CEL 9 came right back on. i'm going to speculate that this CEL does not have to do with the CKF mod for now.

so after screwing around with this for hours and hours...i checked H-T and found lots of people having problems with the CYP sensor. heres the problem, lots of people posted about this but not many followed up with what fixed their problem. from what i gathered, it could be a faulty CYP sensor inside the distributor, broken wire somewhere inside the distributor for CYP, one case of faulty ECU, and timing is off.

please post what fixed the CEL 9 CYP sensor problem people. i want to get a general idea of what will most likely will fix this problem. game plan for me tomorrow is try to swap over the CYP sensor on my SOHC motor and see if that works. i dont think i'll have to repin anything since the both distributors are OBD2. please correct me if i'm wrong. also if you guys have any suggestions please post it up. thanks for reading.

Last edited by i2ishift; 06-08-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cel code 9 (CYP) even after CKF mod

Well a couple months ago my car stated code 9 as well. A month later my timing belt shredded 8 teeth off. I got lucky and didn't bend any valves. We replaced all the belts and also installed a new dizzy, to fix the CPS. When we got everything back together no CEL. But the car had an idle problem. It ended up being off time. I did not properly alight the crank pulley. So we finally get the car back in time and the idle problem is gone but now it is throwing code 9 again on a distributor that is not even two months old. So I am slightly confused.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a honda dizzy, if you bought and aftermarket one, they tend to throw code 9..
Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jdmsi22
Well a couple months ago my car stated code 9 as well. A month later my timing belt shredded 8 teeth off. I got lucky and didn't bend any valves. We replaced all the belts and also installed a new dizzy, to fix the CPS. When we got everything back together no CEL. But the car had an idle problem. It ended up being off time. I did not properly alight the crank pulley. So we finally get the car back in time and the idle problem is gone but now it is throwing code 9 again on a distributor that is not even two months old. So I am slightly confused.
hmmMM....interesting how it would not throw a CEL when the timing is off but when its dead on it will. my motor was torn down and completely rebuilt with all new parts. never ran the motor prior. this is the first time running with it all back together so the CPY sensor fault may have been present beforehand. thanks for posting your experiences.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by high_revs
get a honda dizzy, if you bought and aftermarket one, they tend to throw code 9..
i plan on swaping in the CPY sensor from my SOHC distributor. i never had this problem on that motor. according to Katman's techsite, it should be compatible.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 PM

i have a trouble shooting tree from the service manual to follow for this fault. also i pulled the old distributor off the SOHC motor. i'll post an update later. for those who are having problems with CEL #9, i'll try to figure out how to post the diagnostic tree up for you guys. i have it in PDF.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM

figured out the problem. heres what i did and the conclusion i came to:

measured resistance at distributor connector pins 4 and 8 for CYP sensor. specs: 350-700 ohms. i measured around 395 ohms.

checked for short to ground. measured resistance from dizzy connector pins 4 and 8 to ground. specs: should not have continuity to ground. i had no continuity to ground.

reconnected dizzy connector and measured resistance at ecu. unplugged connector C and measured resistance between pins 4 and 14. specs: 350-700 ohms. i measured 335 ohms...there was my problem.

so what was the problem? i performed the CKF mod when i didnt need to. the motor has a properly working CKF sensor installed. when i had the CKF sensor plugged in it in caused resistance to drop from 395 ohms to 335 ohms (out of specs) for CPY sensor. i unplugged the CKF sensor (sensor near oil pump) and resistance for CPY sensor jumped back up at 395 ohms. started the car and no check engine light.

i'm going to undo the CKF mod. it serves the purpose of detecting misfire and why bypass that when its works properly.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by i2ishift
....and why bypass that when its works properly.
The CKF sensor is an OBD2 thing. You have an OBD2 motor, hence you never needed to do this mod (as you stated). So this mod is not about bypassing the CKF 'if' you had one...it's about using one of the sensors inside the distributor to 'simulate' the CKF signal for motors that don't have one. It works because one of the sensors inside the distributor just happens to put out the same signal as the CKF.

Glad to see you fixed your problem though.