Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

pre-oiling/ post-oiling your turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pre-oiling/ post-oiling your turbo

thinking to myself tonight about oil accumulators/pre-oilers ect. i was wondering how i could hook up a timed cycle to a pre-oiler making it a post-oiler. sort'a like a turbo timer without the engine running. granted more things need to cool besides the turbo and keeping the turbo timer just adding some post oil lubrication after the engine cool down; adding the pre-oiling capabilities of course because we all know that all the oil has drained out and down from our cylinder heads overnight. im a mechnical engineering student not electrial, but keep in mind i do know a little about logic circuits. also know some remote starts have a "diesel" delay (turning the "switch" on for say 15/20 sec before start-up) = the walk to the car, dont want to wait for pre-oil types (me ) who as soon as they get in range they un-arm their ****... (dont lie you know you be hitting that button walking out the door of wal-mart) i read couple people say they made thier own out of fluid pumps,fuel pumps, ect. i need a guinea pig so to say to test this out and, i dont know,, umm, report the outcomes. i'd do it myself but i have more scholastic projects oh and the fact im fulltime student with a fam.
anyone up for the challenge or did this kinda thing like 5 years ago???
Old 01-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo timers are for wussies .. i personally dont use mine
Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 PM

why wouldnt you want to use your turbo timer? it just gives your turbo time to cool off instead of baking oil around the bearings?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ludeing1)

You don't need turbo timers. Just drive around easy on the car for a bit before turning it off. Or let it idle for 30sec-1min before you shut it off. Thats free
Old 01-11-2007, 03:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (roller3804)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roller3804 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't need turbo timers. Just drive around easy on the car for a bit before turning it off. Or let it idle for 30sec-1min before you shut it off. Thats free </TD></TR></TABLE>

better safe than sorry....turbo timers werent designed for nothing
Old 01-11-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Re: (roller3804)

Quote, originally posted by roller3804 »
You don't need turbo timers. Just drive around easy on the car for a bit before turning it off. Or let it idle for 30sec-1min before you shut it off. Thats free

ok say your late for something very important, your not going to sit around for that min or two waiting for it to cool down or drive around easy if you need to be there now. your going to dog it getting there and park, cut your car off and go to where your going. with a turbo timer you do all that but you leave your car running behind you. besides that, i didnt start this thread to talk about turbo timers its a discussion about using a pre/post oiler to aid in that process.
most people know what a turbo timer does and if it is important to them or not thats thier opinion. only intellangent pros/cons please about the process of pre/oiling. a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

although in theory if you were crafty, a turbo timer could be used to keep a relay powered for a little bit instead of your ignition after you shut your car off, maybe that relay could power a pump of some kind? just getting the idea ball rolling
Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: (H22Luda720)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Luda720 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">although in theory if you were crafty, a turbo timer could be used to keep a relay powered for a little bit instead of your ignition after you shut your car off, maybe that relay could power a pump of some kind? just getting the idea ball rolling </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but i feel the t-timer should still operate like normal. just after shut-down the pre/post oiler would kick in for added protection and duribilty of that 3 grand dump of cash. it would take a nomally closed relay and hook it to say your fuel pump. it would work like this,, power on at the pump the coil engages leaving the switch open/ power turns off to the pump denergizing the coil thowing the poles on= power to the oil pump, ok ,,, know how when your cars hot and you kill the engine?? the fans keep running til the desired temp set is present, well same principal but instead of controlled by temp it would be controlled by time,, say 2 mins, needed would be some other logic curcuit for the 2 mins of power to the oil pump.. that timed logic curicut is tuned on by the relay thats turned off by the fuel pump( remember the relay thats connected to fuel pump turns power on when the fuel pumps power gets cut off),,, confused yet?? the thing i dont know yet is the timer curcuit something programable. ughhh i thinks its time to get with the nerds at school on this one !!!!
hell after seeing frankinstien builds on this forum and crazy intake mannys i thought for sure more would give feedback.........................
Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludeing1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hell after seeing frankinstien builds on this forum and crazy intake mannys i thought for sure more would give feedback.........................</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah man.. turbocharger technology has changed so much.. especially with all of us using, like -10 oil returns.. barely any oil in it is even left in the turbo at shut off.. with ball bearings/watercooled turbos.. a lot of that timing stuff is useless now....unless YOU'RE really driving your car to the point of making the turbo so hot.. if you're late for an appointment or something.. i doubt you will even make a turbo thats properly sized to the motor get that RED hot.... but you seriously cant drive the car like that on the street with other motorist on the road with out killing ur self.. or getting pulled over by the cops.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: (Mykizism)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mykizism &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

nah man.. turbocharger technology has changed so much.. especially with all of us using, like -10 oil returns.. barely any oil in it is even left in the turbo at shut off.. with ball bearings/watercooled turbos.. a lot of that timing stuff is useless now....unless YOU'RE really driving your car to the point of making the turbo so hot.. if you're late for an appointment or something.. i doubt you will even make a turbo thats properly sized to the motor get that RED hot.... but you seriously cant drive the car like that on the street with other motorist on the road with out killing ur self.. or getting pulled over by the cops. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ah-ha!! thats insane never seen a watercooled turbo ever, or even heard about one till right now,, have heard of ceramic bearing main shafts,, way cool but not everybody can get that kinda set-up. i thinking about 50 to 100 bucks total on this kit does the same thing as water but less corrosive. besides even the ballbearing turbos are oil feed.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludeing1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ah-ha!! thats insane never seen a watercooled turbo ever, or even heard about one till right now,, have heard of ceramic bearing main shafts,, way cool but not everybody can get that kinda set-up. i thinking about 50 to 100 bucks total on this kit does the same thing as water but less corrosive. besides even the ballbearing turbos are oil feed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but, ball bearing turbos have been around for years, and they dont require much oil pressure at all.. so using a system that u are suggesting might cause turbo seals to leak .. i dunno i barely even read your first post. lol
Old 01-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Oil priming is used in many motors today. A pump pumps up the pressure, ensureing that the engine is ready for "go". Popular in larger engines and older cars like Jaguar.

Such a system is ofcourse usefull for expanded engine life.

It is quite basic. You need a good pump, a relay and a switch. Before you start the car, prime the engine and watch the oil pressure gauge. When pressure builds up OK, release the switch. Start the car and the relay engage, ensureing that the priming pump cant be startet with engine going.

A time relay can be used insted of the switch. When turing the key to "engine start", you must wait for 20-30 sec. before you actualy can start the engine during primeing. A quite simple circuit.

The main problem here is to get a good 12V oil pump and install the system so that it is reliable.

This system is not bad for your engine, but if it realy is needed in the long run is questionable.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: (Hondaen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mykizism &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah but, ball bearing turbos have been around for years, and they dont require much oil pressure at all.. so using a system that u are suggesting might cause turbo seals to leak .. i dunno i barely even read your first post. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

true they dont require "much" oil pressure under normal driving conditions but they still need oil, the system im wanting to build is for the time before you start you engine and after you shut down your engine, not during. just added protection is all.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This system is not bad for your engine, but if it realy is needed in the long run is questionable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

considering most engines have very little oil in passages during start-up causing 50 to 60 % of wear to the engine this would be the optimal time for much needed oil pressure, as for the long run the only down side i can find is maybe a catastrophic oil leak but i feel that could be removed with the right design and safty precautions.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:59 AM

ludeing1: Sounds good to me.

It is also a good idea to oil prime the engine after a major rebuild.

If you find a suitable 12V oil pump, please post it here
Old 01-12-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: (Hondaen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ludeing1: Sounds good to me.

It is also a good idea to oil prime the engine after a major rebuild.

If you find a suitable 12V oil pump, please post it here </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that and some lines. dont have the funds or time for it now just the idea floating around.