Notices

Possible new TPS needed? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new TPS needed? Help please

Hi, I have a D15B1 in my 1990 honda civic hatchback. My car suddenly died on the way home one day, and I'm not really sure why. While driving the throttle suddenly gave out and I was getting no acceleration, and when I came to a stop my car was dead. I'm not sure if it died when I stopped or if it died while I was driving. I talked to shucks and they said there is no TPS (throttle position sensor) for my civic, but he also said that the D15B1 wasn't listed under the civic engines he had. So I was thinking it was from a different car and had a TPS? I'm not really sure.
Oh and before I looked into this part even more, I had some busted grommets or however you say/spell it and oil was getting into my spark plug which we thought was the initial problem, but then after that didn't work, we came to what was listed above after looking at the on-board diagnostic which was flashing seven. Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time
Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible new TPS needed? Help please

code 7 on the ecu and a cel on will be a bad tps sensor...go to the junk yard and get a complete throttle body with the tps sensor attached and change it out...!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM
New User

Ok, so there is an actual TPS attached to this motor? Because I've heard that you are able to change it out, instead of placing a whole new throttle body
Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its located on the right side of the throttle body. it has screws holding it in however theres no grooves cut into the screws to back them out. you'll need to use somethin like a dremel to cut a groove into them. honda does not sell it seperate from the tb so you'll have to get one from the junkyard or ebay/craigslist/etc.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/dyi-remove-tps-throttle-position-sensor-2193100/
Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM
New User

Ok thanks for the help. So this motor does have TPS?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rikolas
Ok thanks for the help. So this motor does have TPS?
Yes all honda motors have tps on t body here check this vid out this will explain.. Dr.Charles.@work..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukPoe5E4Fqg
Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
New User

Oh ok. That video helps explain a lot. Thanks for all your time. I'll get to work on this tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rikolas
Oh ok. That video helps explain a lot. Thanks for all your time. I'll get to work on this tomorrow.
This is why they said to just buy a whole t body cuz not alot of people know how to set them.. So now you know also if you mess up that gasket clean it up off and go find a o ring and small thin... Oh and next time do a search..
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dual point tps and any other tps are different. If you have the d15 dual point you have a complete different tps than any other honda. You would need to find the same exact one. Now there is 2 things you can do.

A replace whole throttle body with tps already on it (easier, no calibration needed)
b dremel lines into the fake screws on the tps and unscrew then with a flat head and replace tps and recalibrate it.

If you need a tps i just picked up an extra one still on the throttle body 30shipped.

traxxasx@Yahoo.com