Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (Pics Inside)

Arite so I was working on pulling my carpet out, and I noticed I wouldn't be able to take it out (without cutting the carpet) unless I took off this metal bracket in the picture. It's the real rusty one.

There were 2 bolts holding it into the car. I worked on one and it popped off, or so I thought.. When I got the first bolt off I just thought to myself, "Damn, thats a stubby *** bolt" and moved right along to the next one. By the time I got the 2nd one off I said to myself, "Oh ****, I don't think these are off, I think they're snapped!". Indeed both of them were snapped.

So now i have 2 studs just stuck inside the holes. I have no bolt extractor, and I really don't want to go out and buy one. This piece is also bolted to another rusted piece of metal above it. With it all intact, the weight of something above it is keeping the piece in place. Is it imperative that I extract the bolts and replace them or am I arite?

Thanks a lot..
Old 02-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (rasinhell)

Well, is there any part of the bolts above the floor, you could always try a vice grip if that is the situation. As, far as they being important, that is your call, you might have a rattle if they are left loose. That only applies if they are only helping support the dash.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (formulajay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by formulajay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, is there any part of the bolts above the floor, you could always try a vice grip if that is the situation. As, far as they being important, that is your call, you might have a rattle if they are left loose. That only applies if they are only helping support the dash.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahhh I wish I could vice grip them out, unfortunately it was a pretty clean break and it's actually kind of deep in there (which is why I thought the bolt came out instead of thinking it was snapped).
Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could always drill it out
Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (irideslammed5021)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irideslammed5021 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could always drill it out</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is actually the first time a bolt has snapped on me. I was actually thinking of drilling it out, but I always thought that would *** up the threads and didn't see it as being a feasible solution.. Also... The area that the bolt snapped is really cramped, and I don't think a drill with a drill bit will fit down there. Which also means I wouldn't be able to extract it........

Old 02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
* B A N N E D *

Sometimes if your lucky oyu can drill it smaller than the thread, then from all the heat it should be brittle, then a punch will shatter the rest of whats left. It will be hard to drill straight though, so you might hit the threads and scar them, if that happens you'd have to diver a bigger hole and put a helicoil in it..
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ITS A HONDA EVERYTHING IS REPLACEABLE JUST USE THE SAME SIZE BOLT AND YOULL BE FINE
Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (mosesgaribay)

if u cant drill em out, ziptie it and that rust looks pretty shitty

add: how did you get rust inside your car?

Modified by d[sick]sTeena at 11:34 PM 2/24/2008
Old 02-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (mosesgaribay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mosesgaribay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ITS A HONDA EVERYTHING IS REPLACEABLE JUST USE THE SAME SIZE BOLT AND YOULL BE FINE
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf? i don't know about you man...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How did the inside of your car get so rusted?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (d[sick]sTeena)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]if u cant drill em out, ziptie it and that rust looks pretty shitty </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah there is rust all over this car.. fukk.. but uh yeah. i might actually try going from underneath the car and drilling... anyway. we'll see wut happens.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How did the inside of your car get so rusted? </TD></TR></TABLE>
That happens to pretty much all Hondas I've ever seen from wet climates. It's not that water leaks in, it's that the air is more moist and it just surface rusts. Perhaps you're not familiar because of your location (I can't remember having ever seen a life-long California Honda interior), but this happens to a lot of Honda interior frame parts.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapped a couple bolts. Are they real important? (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That happens to pretty much all Hondas I've ever seen from wet climates. It's not that water leaks in, it's that the air is more moist and it just surface rusts. Perhaps you're not familiar because of your location (I can't remember having ever seen a life-long California Honda interior), but this happens to a lot of Honda interior frame parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
haha yeah we're both from orange county, but a lil off-topic. keep us posted OP, but im not sures theres much else for you to do...
Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In response to the rust comments: it is pretty common. Both of my 96-00 civics have had it.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:01 PM

drill it out. And re tap the hole.(re thread). then just throw a bolt into it.