Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sir2 cluster help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sir2 cluster help

Ok, so I picked up a jdm tcs sir2 guage cluster from my friend a while back.

The gas and temp guages dont work, and the speedometer barely works, it used to bump up to 20 kmph when I started the car, and it used to move up and down with the speed and only added 20 kmph to the speed. But now when I turn the key in (after I have just plugged in the cluster in the back) it goes to 20 kmph and stays there (even once the car is turned off), and once I start driving the car the speedometer moves up, and then does not come back down until I unplug the cluster. Does anyone have any advice on how I could fix these problems? I know there has to be some way how to fix the gas/temp/speedo guages w/o getting a new cluster.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sir2 cluster help (CapnKrunch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so I picked up a jdm tcs sir2 guage cluster from my friend a while back.

The gas and temp guages dont work, and the speedometer barely works, it used to bump up to 20 kmph when I started the car, and it used to move up and down with the speed and only added 20 kmph to the speed. But now when I turn the key in (after I have just plugged in the cluster in the back) it goes to 20 kmph and stays there (even once the car is turned off), and once I start driving the car the speedometer moves up, and then does not come back down until I unplug the cluster. Does anyone have any advice on how I could fix these problems? I know there has to be some way how to fix the gas/temp/speedo guages w/o getting a new cluster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not to sure, but i beleive the tcs clusters are the ones you want to stay away from. i beleive it has something to do with the wire harness in our cars and how the aren't compatible to the tcs cluster.

IM Blueintegraboy, he's a wiz at clusters.
here is a link to him:
https://honda-tech.com/zero...35452
Old 12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sir2 cluster help (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not to sure, but i beleive the tcs clusters are the ones you want to stay away from. i beleive it has something to do with the wire harness in our cars and how the aren't compatible to the tcs cluster.

IM Blueintegraboy, he's a wiz at clusters.
here is a link to him:
https://honda-tech.com/zero...35452</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have talked to him before.. He said to ditch it... I really don't want to have to buy a new cluster. Is there anyway I could replace the electronics from behind the gas/temp guages with the electronics from a usdm one from my old vx cluster?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: sir2 cluster help (philosofy1)

TCS clusters are plug and play except for the the seatbelt light and trunk ajar light wires are different from the US harness.

Are all of the screws behind each of the gauges tight, but not free spinning? If the previous owner removed the screws and overtightened them putting them back causing the screws to free spin, then that gauge isn't good anymore. If the screws are loose, they will read funny or not read at all.

Yeah, seeing that when the car is off and the speedo needles stays at 20 KPH is a bad sign. There is a counterweight in the needle base, which makes the needle go down after you slow down.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sir2 cluster help (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TCS clusters are plug and play except for the the seatbelt light and trunk ajar light wires are different from the US harness.

Are all of the screws behind each of the gauges tight, but not free spinning? If the previous owner removed the screws and overtightened them putting them back causing the screws to free spin, then that gauge isn't good anymore. If the screws are loose, they will read funny or not read at all.

Yeah, seeing that when the car is off and the speedo needles stays at 20 KPH is a bad sign. There is a counterweight in the needle base, which makes the needle go down after you slow down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, I just checked and there are 2 screws behind the temp guage are free spinning, they get somewhat tight and then they keep spinning. Would this cause the gas guage to not work also?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok, I just checked and there are 2 screws behind the temp guage are free spinning, they get somewhat tight and then they keep spinning. Would this cause the gas guage to not work also?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The temp gauge and gas gauge screws are independent. Not too sure why the gas gauge isn't working. You are going to have to replace those gauges anyways.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The temp gauge and gas gauge screws are independent. Not too sure why the gas gauge isn't working. You are going to have to replace those gauges anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm. Ok so how should I go about fixing these problems? Should I buy a new temp/gas guage? Where would be the place to find the guage? And what should I do for the speedo? I just looked at the speedometer, when I move the needle by hand it moves to where I put it and sticks there, and when I pull the base of the needle up it moves back down. Any ideas on that...?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmm. Ok so how should I go about fixing these problems? Should I buy a new temp/gas guage? Where would be the place to find the guage? And what should I do for the speedo? I just looked at the speedometer, when I move the needle by hand it moves to where I put it and sticks there, and when I pull the base of the needle up it moves back down. Any ideas on that...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd say buy another SiR cluster. It would cost too much time and money to buy replacement parts.

Someone definitely pulled the needle off the speedo before. It's broken. There's supposed to have some resistance when you move the needle, and it should go back down to 0 KPH. Pulling on the base of the needle shouldn't make it go up and down.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd say buy another SiR cluster. It would cost too much time and money to buy replacement parts.

Someone definitely pulled the needle off the speedo before. It's broken. There's supposed to have some resistance when you move the needle, and it should go back down to 0 KPH. Pulling on the base of the needle shouldn't make it go up and down. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn then I guess I'll just go back to my stock cluster until I can save up for another one.