Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Compensator arm rusted on, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compensator arm rusted on, need help!

Ive been replacing all my rear suspension components because of old bushings, bolts so rusted they are starting to deteriorate, etc. Ive found it to be a very difficult task, if the f'n bolts, or in this case bushings, havent been greased in 15 years!

Already snapped the shock to trailing arm bolt so I took off the the lower arm, trailing arm and shock still connected together. I found that taking the fewest bolts off possible with it still on the car gives u the greatest chance. Cause then u can spray PB blaster in all the creases u could reach with it on jackstands. This hypothesis hasnt been tested a few times by me and it works most of the time. Then again there is always the machine shop if not.

My problem is way more complicated. Where the compensator arm connects to the frame, I guess the metal on the bushing is rusted to the bolt, so when Im loosening the bolt, it is bending the bracket that is welded to the frame. Its the bracket that sits between a washer, the head of the bolt and the compensator arm.

I was doing it in a dark garage and I couldnt and I just started loosening. It bent the **** out of the bracket, but when I tightened it, it seemed to go back into place.

Is my alignment shot for good? Like because that brakect bent is my compensator arm never gonne sit quite right? And how the hell am I going to get this bushing free from this bolt?

Good thing I checked the other side and the bolt came off. now lets hope I can get the rest of the bolts out. on the other side.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I just did a search and other than cutting. I dont see any other option. Im scared once I cut the bolt I wont be able to get out. Vice grips please be kind to me!