Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine...

Howdy all fellow hondaheads...i'll try to make this quick...I recently had my valves replaced on my B16 head and had a mild port job etc... reinstalled the head and got the new timing belt in place....car cranked but wouldn't start...replaced coil with MSD blaster and MSD cap...nothing....have new rotor, NGK plugs, and new wires...checked fuses, ground wires, fuel filter is new, and injectors are firing in correct order... on my 7th weekend of troubleshooting and need a little help...it's a '00 Si with a GSR block and B16 head...
Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you getting spark?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

Nother noob question...do you check it by pulling a plug and grounding it and looking for spark or is it true that you can fry your coil that way?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pull the plug wire off and put it near metal, see if you get spark. you might want to hold the wires with rubber covered pliers or somthing. getting shock by those wires feel like a punch to the chest.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM

Default Re: nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine... (evil em1)

alright...that will diagnose the spark/no spark problem....what should I check if it doesn't spark? I know the coil is wired correctly...I had my pop check it after I was done...i do need to check the Thermostat ground...i hear its an often-overlooked issue....what else would be a good starting point?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you verify the timing is TDC at all three points?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah do what he said right above. check timing. if it cranks and doesn't start; the cams not lining up to TDC would be my best guess. good luck.

you said you had a valve job done. make sure you know the spec. because it is not oem spec anymore some aftermarket valve will close or open faster or harder. i'm not sure if this would be an effect but just pointing it out.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine... (Boss SiiN)

I also think that it maybe timing that is off bro. And yes you can fry the coil...
Old 06-09-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine... (JUNE_BUG)

i'll definately double check the timing...the valve job is another good point...didn't think of that one either--I'm also going to verify that the dizzy is lined up correctly cuz I saw that a couple people had that problem in the searching of the archives I've done...is there anything else off the wall that might be causing it so that I have a comprehensive list of things to double check? Like I said before i've been messing with it for a looooong time for what should be a routine job thanks for all the help so far I think i'm headed in the right direction thanks to you guys
Old 06-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

poor mans type r .,,... hrmmm i built the same motor ,,.. check the wires for the dizzy ...
Old 06-10-2006, 04:47 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine... (xsuperxsonx)

if you can't check for spark, lets hope to good you didn't build this engine..

haha.. go buy a helms dood and READ.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Re: nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine... (GarageAlchemist)

thanks for the sarcasm...good to know you have nothing better to do than belittle others and be an a$$...to all others figured out it was a timing issue today--apperantly installing a timing belt @ 4 am after twelve straight hours of working isn't a great idea..lol
still going to double check a few things after bit and then see if it'll fire up--thanks to all for all your help throughout all this...nice to know we Honda guys stick together and help eachother out
Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 AM
GarageAlchemist

thats why you need a helms, they explain a lot of this stuff..

for the future when i build engines i make a check list... saves a lot of time.. go down the list, check everything twice. Sorry if i came off like an *** but ignorance is a good way to waste a brand new engine build.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:44 AM

no worries man--just been a long seven weeks and I'm a little testy--I took your adcive and bought the CD-ROM style helms manual--and as far as the checklist goes--I will make it a point to try this in the future...I've had this Civic for 3 years and had no major engine problems at all so I'm learning about it a piece at a time--I built DSMs before I saw the light! lol laugh at me b/c it IS funny!

Again, I'm going to hit it hard this afternoon and hopefully have it running by evening--if it's successful I'll drop you guys a line--Thanks again boys!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:48 AM
GarageAlchemist

good luck bro, any questions feel free to post..

checklists ftw!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:26 AM

did you check fuel pressure to see if there is gas coming out?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine... (Carbonyl)

okay peeps...got an update--retimied the car ( for the 3rd time) just to make sure everything lined up--rotated the crank by hand for 8-10 strokes and no resistance of any kind...also used my trusty old clear dizzy cap to make sure that the rotor was lining up with the #1 location from the helms @ TDC--all golden from there...

replaced the plugs with NGK platinums--here's the first snag--told to gap them @ .50 is this too much gap?

rechecked my coil and wiring--it was all good...however forgot my compression tester (like a tard) so couldn't make sure everything was cool there...

after all was said and done the care will turn over but won't fire--getting fuel and all injectors are sealed (no fuel or coolant leaks anywhere)...after turning over there was a bizarre hazy whitish grey smoke from behind the IM--possibly a bit of oil dripped from the oil filter change...could this be a sign of lean or rich condition?

this is my last attempt to troubleshoot this thing before I take it into a shop and pick up the bill! any help would be super sweet!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pray to god you didn't bend your brand new valves when you trying to start it and the timing was off...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Re: nOOb to HT...perplexed by engine... (wheelmanbg)

timing wasn't off by more than a tooth....but been f%$^in with this thing so long re-did timing belt just to be sure....still beating my head against a wall--all I can think of is I'm wondering if the intake manifold might be loose...if it isn't torqued could that potentially cause a compression leak and cause it not to start?-- need ANY suggestions on what to check????????

About ready to sell engine setup for next to nothin and swap a K20 in--but that involves beggin the bank for money and maxin out the credit line--not to mention the increased downtime invovled
Old 06-14-2006, 07:21 PM

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:41 PM

got an update--figgered out that 1)getting ample spark 2) distributor isn't 100% in time---but neither is the car!!! the timing belt seems to be off about 3 teeth or so--is it normal for a timing belt to stretch out just from cranking or is this an indication of an incorrect belt or possibly a bad tensioner? need help before attempting to re-time the car!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:43 PM

also FYI checked the ICM, Fuel relay and other electrics with voltmeter--all within spec and TPS is good...know that it is a timing issue, for sure....what to do what to do???
Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 PM

IT LIVES!!!! we sorted the starting problem out tonite but we're running into some idling problems--TPS is a possibility--anything else we can check to try and sort this out---all the advice so far has been stellar guys (and gals) so keep it comin and lets get the baby back on the pavement hunting cavaliers!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:35 PM

adjusting valve clearances is a bitch!!!! anybody know if anyone but Snap On makes the Honda Valve Adjustment tool?? used a buddies the other night and it was super easy but it was like $50 and I'm a poor ****--thanks to this car --

otherwise I'm going to let this thread drift into oblivion because i believe we're a few mere hours away from completion.....hella thanks to everyone that helped get the gears grinding throughout this BS deal....glad to have help--hope I can return the favor to you all !!!