Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm sure this has been asked before but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm sure this has been asked before but...

Like the topic says, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I tried the search, and I wasn't able to come up with anything. I know, I know, I'm a dumbass..

Ok, before my question, I must give a little backround. I have a 97 Jetta (with some mods), but frankly, I'm sick of it. I don't like how all the parts are über expensive. I figure, with a Honda, I can do oh-so-much more with the same amount of money as I would spend on one part for the VW.

Now my question, is which model would it be best for me to buy? I would like something with a powerful engine. I guess I'm showing my ignorance, but I have no idea which engines are which in these cars. I know VW motors extremely well. But when it comes to B18h's, and H22a's, etc, I'm completely lost. If I were to see the motor, I can tell what's what (and from what I've seen, Hondas are a lot easier to work on also), it's just the engine names that boggle me.
If I could get a hatchback or something with a turbo'd Prelude motor (if it would even fit...) that would be money...But I haven't really seen any for sale here...at least, at a reasonable price.

Also, how does one go about getting JDM parts? And will they pass emissions here in the states? I would get a full JDM motor and tranny, but if they won't pass emissions and inspection, then there's really no point. Same thing with the headlights, etc. I assume that they are like european parts on the VW; but most of those are technically illeagal to be on the vehicle...ah well.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked before but... (protzler)

To be frank, there isnt one post or "answer" that will help you. BEst thing to do as a newbie noew to this forum,and to this game is to read.

This forum is very informative, even if you dont have the basics down. There are many posts every day so there is always something to read. By doing much reading, you will find what engines are associated with what badges, and what engines are compatable with what car.

Sure you may think that the lightest car with the highest powered honda engine with a turbo would be your best bet, but only after reading for a while will you really know.

Like I said no one post will answer your questions, but opinion, style, outlook, and money can influence your decision.

......and there is no "b18h's".......lol

Old 04-05-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked before but... (4g4me)

True. I have been reading up since I posted this, and am learning a lot. The reason I asked, however, was to get a general idea of what swaps are popular, what seems to give the most power in what car, etc. It would have just saved a little time.

This forum is an excellent source for information!! It has changed my mind on the Honda crowd for the better now. I must admit, I read some other Honda forums out there, and, as I'm assuming most everyone on here knows, a lot of the other forums are full of ricers, so...I forgot where I was going with this...haha.

Hehe, B18h just sounded right to me for some reason...
Old 04-05-2004, 02:21 PM

how much do you want to spend?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked before but... (743power)

Probably around 7500 total
Old 04-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just read the forums daily for a month or so, you'll learn tons
Old 04-05-2004, 04:12 PM

for that much i would get a 92-95 civic hatch and then buy a gsr (b18c1) motor and do i/h/e
Old 04-05-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked before but... (cxjon)

get a 92 cx hatch do a b16 swap then get a turbo or SC when you feel it is right
Old 04-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxjon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for that much i would get a 92-95 civic hatch and then buy a gsr (b18c1) motor and do i/h/e</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can do alot more with 7500 then just that!!!!

Try going full suspension, a turbo'd ls/vtec, some small things. Im in the process with a smaller budget

2500 92 Hatch
1000 tein's ss
400 Apexi exhaust
3200 GSR motor
Totals 7100.

As for the thread starter...... Pa will just about pass anything. They are more worried about noise violations, ie music and exhaust, then anything else. Well atleast around me. You will have no problem with emissions if the motor is running fine and no problem with inspection as long as the norm passes. They do not check motor vin #'s and match it up to the car's vin #.

Also, I have never heard or seen anyone get a fix-it ticket unless your running open headers (plural b/c friends car is a V8 ). And with suspension, i havent seen anything about a ride height minimum. So for Pa, as long as the normal passes, aftermarket **** goes as well.

And is's not B18H's, is b18b or c
The list continues......
Old 04-05-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked before but... (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can do alot more with 7500 then just that!!!!

Try going full suspension, a turbo'd ls/vtec, some small things. Im in the process with a smaller budget

2500 92 Hatch
1000 tein's ss
400 Apexi exhaust
3200 GSR motor
Totals 7100.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can barely find a good hatch for 2500 dollars and with the gas prices where there at car lots rape you on a good hatch so what i said was realistic
Old 04-05-2004, 06:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxjon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you can barely find a good hatch for 2500 dollars and with the gas prices where there at car lots rape you on a good hatch so what i said was realistic</TD></TR></TABLE>Edit because I just got what you meant about the gas prices...

Would it be more cost effective if I were to by a hatch with the motor already swapped, then, depending on how much is left over, getting other things, such as suspension, brakes, etc?

What about the CX hatch on jdmshit.com? It has a H22A with a M2B4 LSD tranny. They are asking 8500 for it, and the price is firm. Like I said above, I only want to spend about 7500.

I would really like to have some sort of forced induction. But I don't want to buy a turbo for the stock motor and then switch it out in a few years for a different one and be stuck with the turbo/SC that I can't use....

See, with my VW, non of these are options, because the damn parts are so expensive...Hense the reason I'm switching over. 8-)
Old 04-05-2004, 06:58 PM

problem with that is you could be buying someones else's problem.

good idea is buy the hatch drive the way it is. save up buy parts for FI, build it up the way you want and take your time
Old 04-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked before but...

Welcome to h-t You asked some hefty questions there... and no one person is gonna give you the same exact answer. 4g4me pretty much nailed it. Also if you plan on buying a hatchback or any other honda for that matter, if you plan on swapping the motor out for something that has more displacement try to find one that someone got a little over excited with the boost or nitrous and blew the motor up, if you can find one like that it would at be cheaper thus more spending money for you and mileage shouldn't really be a concern as long as the body is in pretty good shape. look for evidence of bodywork, bondo, etc... that will cost you more money down the road. Personally I would only buy a modded ride if I knew the person or if a friend did. It all depends on what you want and how much you wanna put into it. also do you wanna drag race, autocross, or something to get you from point a to b, there is an abundance of info just waiting to be unleashed. Also if you do keep your vw or have something else to drive you can drive that while you mod up your new ride.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxjon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you can barely find a good hatch for 2500 dollars and with the gas prices where there at car lots rape you on a good hatch so what i said was realistic</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got ya beat.......

I just bought a 92 Civic si for 2500. 173,XXX miles. No rust, No dents, Not burning oil. Sunroof still works. Full sound system. Runs Extremely great. Axels not creaking and in good shape. Brand new rotors, calipers and pads, front and rear, just inspected and emission passed. All this for 2500.

Granted, it took me a year and a half of searching, but it finally came up.

Oh and i work at a gas station. Free gas RULES