Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true?

this is my earlier topic that will explain what happened in the first place:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=951289

I had a neighbor who is a mechanic come look at my car this morning. I started it up and obviously still had the tapping sound. i pulled out each spark plug and still had good compression on all cylinders. He said that it sounds like either my pushrod or valve. He said that the oil is not gettin put into the head because of this. He said because of this the temp and pressure was building up in my block and it had no where to go so it busted out of my oil pan gasket (that would explain why there is oil on the very bottem of block ONLY and not the rest of it). The car starts up fine and other than the slight tapping sound it sounds normal, it doesn't idle crazy or anything. Does this all sound like it makes sense????

Also instead of fixing, i'm thinking it will just be cheaper to buy a new head and slap it on. I've tried to search but didn't come up with anything, so can someone help to explain how to switch heads? Do all i really need is a torque wrench? If there is a write up on swapping heads, please direct me in the right direction.....thnx...Will

**Also....the guy told me if i needed to take my car to the mechanic that i should put in 20w-50 oil in along with some Lucas oil treatment. He said that will help the oil flow better to the head. or
Old 08-12-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true? (B20vtecNJcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20vtecNJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I had a neighbor who is a mechanic come look at my car this morning. I started it up and obviously still had the tapping sound. i pulled out each spark plug and still had good compression on all cylinders. He said that it sounds like either my pushrod or valve. He said that the oil is not gettin put into the head because of this. He said because of this the temp and pressure was building up in my block and it had no where to go so it busted out of my oil pan gasket (that would explain why there is oil on the very bottem of block ONLY and not the rest of it). The car starts up fine and other than the slight tapping sound it sounds normal, it doesn't idle crazy or anything. Does this all sound like it makes sense???? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure that's all he told you... I don't get it... What did he say about the pushrod and/or valve?

fs
Old 08-12-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true? (B20vtecNJcoupe)

yeah, last time i checked hondas didnt have push rods
Old 08-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true? (BFK_SI_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BFK_SI_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, last time i checked hondas didnt have push rods</TD></TR></TABLE>
well that's his problem, he doesn't have one lol
Old 08-12-2004, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true? (CivicVX94)

Wow..ok...so now i know not to listen to this guy anymore ....As far as what he said about the so called pushrod or valve..he just said they are bent. Regardless of what he said..i'm pretty sure its gonna be alot ot fix. So my best bet is to just get a new head and swap it. Is there a chance that this problem could have affected my block? Or when i pull my head off, will i beable to tell by looking in the block if there was damage?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:11 PM

He is probably not familiar with honda engines. That's all.

Depends... Now i cannot look at your car, but a valve just does not bend like that... It needs something to make it bend. Also, as a general rule, a bent valve will show up on a compression test. It does not seal properly anymore... But i may be mistaken on this.

Now as for oil blowing out the bottom of your block.. I have seen that where the crankcase pressure becomes so great that it will be forced out the gaskets and seals...

If the engine is ticking, then i think, if you want to keep this car, you should pull the engine and have a looksee. At least remove the head and see.

Pretty hard to say what exactly is wrong from where i am sitting..

fs
Old 08-12-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true? (filthy_shovel)

i know its not easy since you guys can't hear the tapping or see it. But not for nothing i don't know about motors like that. I know general information, but nothing on how to pull a motor or take it apart and know what is wrong if i'm looking at it. Sucks to be me!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:41 PM

Yeah it does suck to be you...

Can't you drive it to a reputable shop and see what they come up with?

fs
Old 08-12-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true? (filthy_shovel)

TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC, IF U TOUCH IT UR GONNA F**K SH*T UP...MAKE SURE THE MECHANIC UR TAKING IT TOO DOESNT **** U OVER AND SWITCH SOME OF THE PARTS U HAVE ON UR MOTOR TO SOME THAT LOOK SIMILAR
Old 08-12-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Got opinion on problem with motor....Could this be true? (BFK_SI_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BFK_SI_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, last time i checked hondas didnt have push rods</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think Id trust a mechanic that says your honda might have a pushrod...its a ohc motor...I bet that guys a lube tech or lot boy and says hes a mech...dont listen to your neighbor...tapping sound could be valves need adjusted..also some cars on cold start ups have piston slap when they get older and it goes away when the car warms up.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Electrician

1. Donkey punch your neighbor/mechanic in the ***** for saying that your Honda has pushrods. Explain that he should do some more research on OHC engines and how the cmahsft is ON TOP of the engine in the cylinder head and not down below where pushrods need to actuate the valves.

2. Either,
A - Do a valve adjustment and check if that goes away.

B - Take it to a mechanic and let them do a valve adjustment.

3. Have you romped on your motor a lot where you probably mis-shifted and revved past the redline mark or bounced off the rev limiter? If so, you might of damaged your valvetrain.

4. Do you have sufficient amount of oil in your crankcase?

5. Do you have any CELs or does the oil light come on?

6. Have you checked the condition of your oil pump? Maybe something is clogging the pickup/screen and causing loss of oil distribution.

7. After your done fixing your motor, go back to your neighbor/mechanic and donkey punch him again.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

thanx for all the input fellas......i don't know my neighbor like that, just say whats up when i see him and thats about it. guess my dually is goin in sooner then i thought....