Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Z6 into CX Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 AM
Foreign Symbols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6 into CX Swap Question

I'm putting a Z6 out of a 93 Del Sol Si into my 92 CX. Couple of questions I'd hoping some of you may KNOW.

I'm swaping the whole drivetrain in one peice. Engine, Trans, Engine Harness. I will also swap the ECU. My question is this.

Is the harness the same between the ECU to the Gang Plug that plugs into the Engine Harness, or do I need to swap that as well??????????

Do you understand what I'm asking?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (juevi)

You shouldn't need the engine harness the 92 civics where pre wired for the vtec. I don't think you have to do anything with the other harness you should be completely plug and play. How ever I am not 100% sure about the inside wiring you might have to run the vtec signal wire to the ecu.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Foreign Symbols

Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (instructor74)

Interesting, didn't know that. What I was WANTING to do is just unplug the harness at the gang plugs in the Del Sol, unhook the obvious, drop it in the CX and plug right into the Gang Plugs (plugs on the fenders) on that car, swap ECU and go

Thanks for the help. I pulling some diagrams from a 92 Si an seeing if my CX already has the wiring for it. More help is appreciated though. Thanks ya'll!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Foreign Symbols

Anybody else?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

it'll just plug and play, no wiring involved. the only thing I can think of is some of the non vtec models have the MAP sensor on the firewall so you can use that one or the one on your D16's throttle body
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (HondaPartsHero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaPartsHero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it'll just plug and play, no wiring involved. the only thing I can think of is some of the non vtec models have the MAP sensor on the firewall so you can use that one or the one on your D16's throttle body</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't worry, the CX has the map sensor on the throttle body. The engine will be plug & play into your 92CX. You bastards have got it easy with the VTEC main harness. Of course I only had to run a single wire from the shock tower to ECU for a B18C-R/P28 swap, into my 94CX. I wouldn't exactly call that difficult. Just not plug & play...

The only thing you will notice, is that your shift-up indicator in the gauge cluster will always remain on. That's because the shift-up function is not supported by non CX/VX ECUs. You can always take the bulb out, but it doesn't bother me in the least...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (94eg!)

Use the ex harness, and it is a 100% direct swap. You wont have to mess with the o2 sensors, and the interior harness will have the wiring pins for the vtec.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Foreign Symbols

Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (swifty4u)

Awesome guys, thanks. Hoping this will go rather smoothly. So just plug the engine harness to the fender plugs on the CX, plugs ECU in and go. Can't wait
Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (swifty4u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swifty4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use the ex harness, and it is a 100% direct swap. You wont have to mess with the o2 sensors, and the interior harness will have the wiring pins for the vtec.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Civic EX engine harness, and the Del Sol Si engine harness are the exact same part number (32110-P28-A01). No need for him to go out of his way to find another engine harness...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juevi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome guys, thanks. Hoping this will go rather smoothly. So just plug the engine harness to the fender plugs on the CX, plugs ECU in and go. Can't wait </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it will plug right in and go provided the Del Sol was running before you removed the engine. Don't forget to change all the fluids out too...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You shouldn't need the engine harness the 92 civics where pre wired for the vtec. I don't think you have to do anything with the other harness you should be completely plug and play. How ever I am not 100% sure about the inside wiring you might have to run the vtec signal wire to the ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1992s are prewired TO THE shocktower, the actual engine harness doesnt have a plug for the vtec solenoid so you have to add it from the shock tower harness or just use a vtec engine harness.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Foreign Symbols

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes it will plug right in and go provided the Del Sol was running before you removed the engine. Don't forget to change all the fluids out too... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, it was running fine. It was suposadly rebuilt before I got it, kind of scary considering the condition of the car, but think the motor was done by someone else, sounded good and ZERO motor noise. The only variable will be the clutch as I didn't get a chance to drive it, but road through the gears in the air (left front hub all messed up).

The kid drove it before the wheel came off lol, so the only real unkown is the clutch. I took the header off last night and had a decent amount of carbon in the exaust ports (as in little junks kinda chipping off, not REAL major) so plan on changing ALL the fluids, doing a Seafoam, and then changing the oil and should be good to go.

I'm probably going to do axle seals and oil pan reseal before I put it in my CX as well, starting to get a little wet underneath. Going to do that before I even pull it do to hoist logistics. Hoping to have the whole swap done in one day so preparing everything well in advance.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Foreign Symbols

Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1992s are prewired TO THE shocktower, the actual engine harness doesnt have a plug for the vtec solenoid so you have to add it from the shock tower harness or just use a vtec engine harness. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome
Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i remember correctly the cx's dont use a 4-wire 02 sensor
Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (audio5050)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by audio5050 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i remember correctly the cx's dont use a 4-wire 02 sensor </TD></TR></TABLE>

The chassis's main harness is pre-wired for a 4-wire O2 on all years of EG CX. It's only the engine harness that lacks the wiring for the 4-wire O2. You won't be reusing your CX engine harness anyways...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The only thing you will notice, is that your shift-up indicator in the gauge cluster will always remain on. That's because the shift-up function is not supported by non CX/VX ECUs. You can always take the bulb out, but it doesn't bother me in the least...</TD></TR></TABLE>
What is the shift up indicator?? Never seen it on since I swapped in my z6 into my vx. But I also didn't put in the p28, I left the vx p07 in since the swap didn't come with it..
Old 07-19-2007, 07:33 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: D16Z6 into CX Swap Question (CapnKrunch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What is the shift up indicator?? Never seen it on since I swapped in my z6 into my vx. But I also didn't put in the p28, I left the vx p07 in since the swap didn't come with it..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The shift up indicator is a green arrow on the gauge cluster. It is a fuel economy aid, and tells you the best time to shift based upon speed, rpm & throttle position. It's not the best thing for performance driving that is for sure. If the light doesn't work on your cluster, it should be visible as a white box outline in the lower right corner of the gauges under the temp. Here is a pic of a VX cluster (front & center) and the shift-up indicator white box can be seen just below the temp...

The VX is the only cluster with a tach and shift up indicator. The CX is the only cluster without a tach and a shift up indicator. If your missing this white box, you don't have the original cluster for your VX.

PS: The indicator behaves funny one you start modifying the car. My buddy has an EX tranny in his CX. The cluster still tells him to shift like normal in the first 4 gears, the only problem is it still lights up once he runs out 5th. With the normal trans, the indicator never lights up in 5th...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had to pull the bulb out of mine after switching to a chipped ecu. it would illuminate only when i would hit the brakes.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Civic EX engine harness, and the Del Sol Si engine harness are the exact same part number (32110-P28-A01). No need for him to go out of his way to find another engine harness...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yea thats what i meant..i didnt mean for him to get another one just use the one he has
Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Foreign Symbols

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The chassis's main harness is pre-wired for a 4-wire O2 on all years of EG CX. It's only the engine harness that lacks the wiring for the 4-wire O2. You won't be reusing your CX engine harness anyways...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depending on weather, this may be done by next weekend. Thanks for the help everybody