Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back.

So I get my new motor in the car, unplug the injectors and let the starter prime the pump for a while. Hook up the injectors and it fires right up. I shine the light over on the motor and there's oil spraying out the back. Seems to be coming from between the head and block. Why the hell is it doing this? Warped head? I put the head on myslef and went over all the head studs with my impact myself, J/K I checked the torque on all the head studs several times so it's not that. Why the expletive is it doing this? It's a GSR block and an ITR head. I used to run LS/VTEC so the head is pluged and still has the external oil line for the record. Everything is new in the motor including the head gasket.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (TwoKSiR)

Have a video of this?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (sageuvagony)

What do you need a video for? The only way to remedy the situation is to pull the head off anyways. The HG is probably on upside down.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (H Twenty Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H Twenty Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And they say I'm wrong when I call LSVTEC "FUBARing a VTEC head"

This is why VTEC heads should only go on VTEC blocks in B series. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, they seem to be 50/50 if there gonna be relaible. That's why I went to a GSR block.

And I know for a fack the the head gasket isn't upside down. I've built several motors and know how the head gasket goes, not trying to sound like a dick, I'm just saying that I know it's not upside down. I plan to pull the head but I'm wondering if everyone thinks the headis warped or what. Once the head is off what do you think the remedy will be?

Anyone Anyone?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do you need a video for? The only way to remedy the situation is to pull the head off anyways. The HG is probably on upside down.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just to see the engine doing its new trick
Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (TwoKSiR)

Did you not check the head before installing it?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (t0p_sh0tta)

I pulled the head off a running motor myself and had a machine shop surface and clean the head. I didn't think I would need to check the head.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just to see the engine doing its new trick </TD></TR></TABLE>

Tomorrow after I pull the head I'm gonna see if I can get it to sit and play dead.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 PM

be more specific, under the dizzy, under the im, in the back of the block you shouldn't need a external oil supply if it is a gsr block if your head is good and wasn't damaged then it should be o.k i am guessing the LS blew up if you are putting in another motor. what kinda im are you running? did you have the block built?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly to me it sounds like mabye your oil filter! pull it off and make sure theres only one gasket. sometimes they stick to the block instead of the old filter when doin an oil change. ive made the mistake of not lookin at the filter i took off before puttin the new one on.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (DCSportEJ1Civic)

The LS block had a cracked ring, thats why I took it out. I know for a fact that the oil is coming from between the block and the head. I got a very good look at it. It's a OEM ITR intake manifold. The leak is just under where the water line attaches to the intake manifold. I'm gonna take the plug out of the head and loose the external oil line. I couldn't find the plug that had to be removed for the external oil line. But I found it after the head was back on so no more external line. But again I know for a fack the oil is coming from between the block and head.

But when the head was surfaced the whole surface looked fresh, I would think that if the head was warped there would be an area that the wasnt touched if that makes sense.

I had the oil cooler in my parts washer to clean it so I know that there's not nother gasket on there. After the block was built I only put one oil filter one and never took it off. This was the original start up so I haven't done an oil change yet.

It's a GSR block with 81.5mm RS Machine pistons, stock rods, ARP rod bolts, ARP head studs, Clevitte bearings, Hasting rings (the ones that come with the RS Machine pistons) and a brand new Cometic HG. The block was surfaced when I had the macjine work done. AEverything in the block is brand new except the rods and crank which I had serviced and checked. The block was built by Adi Radoncic on here, he's a friend of mine and has done lots of builds. He's very good at what he does. I have full confidance in how the block was built.

I started this thread wondering what could be causing the oil to come from between the block and head, not where it's coming from.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H Twenty Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And they say I'm wrong when I call LSVTEC "FUBARing a VTEC head"

This is why VTEC heads should only go on VTEC blocks in B series. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thas wrong.. most people get the head and slap it on the block.. if u want it to be reliable u need to put money into the motor to run right. i've seen them run perfect w/o oil leaks for yearssss... as long as u take it to the machine shop and get it decked, and theres a spot u need to plug for oil. and have someone who knws wat there doing install it. it will be a perfect swap. i jus hate wen people try to be cheap and take the easy way and then complain why it doesn't work "perfect"....... yesterday i was at the sac raceway. a guy had a 00 si wit JRSC and was running 15.5. he had his hood open. i seen oil leaks everywhere in his motor, grease built on everything u can see. and hes confused why hes so slow?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new motor does the coolest trick. It sprays oil out the back. (lovey408)

I agree. I built an LS/VTEC for my buddy's DC4. He's running a built block, built head, 9 psi. daily and 19 psi. at the track. Layed down 11.92@119 mph. It has 35k on it now and doesn't leak a drop. Doesn't smoke. It's a very perfect motor.