Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Converting engine bay to full AN honda shop and k20 forum say one thing pirtek say an

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Converting engine bay to full AN honda shop and k20 forum say one thing pirtek sa

If you're in an area where rust on cars is any problem at all, those 25 year old steel lines will be rusted underneath the car-- you should replace them all the way end to end. I can see why your mechanic is reluctant to touch them, they are likely to break and you'll blame him.

Really, splicing onto the stock lines at all is a sign of ghetto work. To do it right you want as few junctions as possible.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Converting engine bay to full AN honda shop and k20 forum say one thing pirtek sa

Originally Posted by mk378
If you're in an area where rust on cars is any problem at all, those 25 year old steel lines will be rusted underneath the car-- you should replace them all the way end to end. I can see why your mechanic is reluctant to touch them, they are likely to break and you'll blame him.

Really, splicing onto the stock lines at all is a sign of ghetto work. To do it right you want as few junctions as possible.
I dont know how thats ghetto. Reflaring the stock line for AN , doesnt add any more junctions. But to each their own.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
ChaseBays has done them that way...

As few junctions as possible? Agree 100%
Old 03-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vanilla gorilla
Its true that you flare your tubing to 37 degree to convert to AN. And as someone mentioned, you could use the compression style AN fittings for your fuel feed and return, due to the fact that its relatively low pressure. I personally would do it right and flare them. Thats what I did on mine. Think about it, if youre going through the trouble of doing an AN brake tuck and doing all the 37 degree flares there, then when why not do it to the fuel lines too. But I would NEVER ....ever... ever... use any type of compression fittings on any part of the braking system. Why risk youre life to save 2 minutes. I done my brake tuck completely out of hard line and AN fittings, the actual brake hose, i went with off the shelf russel stainless lines. I spent $100 just in fittings.
How are the Russel lines? Both of my rubber lines were damaged and I want to replace them. I got one from the local stealership for $50 months ago, then I noticed the passenger was damaged as well.

I think having compression fittings in anything other than a toilet is bad. The **** tech made me question all 8 years of me doing hvac work and everything I learned about seals n ****.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Compression fittings are used extensively in the naval nuclear and commercial nuclear industry in high pressure applications. Army Navy fittings are never used. Can anyone explain the fascination with Army Navy fittings among automotive DIY enthusiasts? Where does that come from?
Old 03-14-2019, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gorillaglue#4
How are the Russel lines? Both of my rubber lines were damaged and I want to replace them. I got one from the local stealership for $50 months ago, then I noticed the passenger was damaged as well.

I think having compression fittings in anything other than a toilet is bad. The **** tech made me question all 8 years of me doing hvac work and everything I learned about seals n ****.
the russel hoses are great. And wow for $50 you could probably buy both the fronts.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NukeNinja
Compression fittings are used extensively in the naval nuclear and commercial nuclear industry in high pressure applications. Army Navy fittings are never used. Can anyone explain the fascination with Army Navy fittings among automotive DIY enthusiasts? Where does that come from?
I Can tell you why I like them. The versatility, the availabilty, ease of use, strength, aesthetics are a plus. The main thing for me is the wide array of fitting sizes, reductions, angles and bends. You would be suprised the amount of diverse fitting styles on thr market. And let me tell you when you get into doing full plumbing jobs on race cars and v8 swapped turbo applications where space is very limited..... the wide range of fitting styles and angles is critical to putting together a good looking reliable system.
Also the availability of AN bulk head fittings to pass lines in and out of the cockpit is great. Especially for the guys on here that do brake tucks. Because Ive yet to find bulkhead fittings for standard brake lines.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeNinja
Because they're expensive so that must mean they're cool...

Plus they come in neat colors.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
Because they're expensive so that must mean they're cool...

Plus they come in neat colors.
I like that they come in different colors. The AN flares are easy to understand if you are not like my dad and want to ask a million and one questions about them. They are a form of compression but coming from swedging hvac copper they are so much simpler than doing these bubble flares and ****.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Don't hack up your fuel line.

M14 Inverted Flare to 6AN Male

You're welcome
Old 03-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by spAdam
Don't hack up your fuel line.

M14 Inverted Flare to 6AN Male

You're welcome
This.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

nah...