Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Changed ICM and coil WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed ICM and coil WTF???

So my car died on me a couple of weeks ago, i go to start it and cranks but doesnt start. So thought it was the coil changed it and that didnt work. Then i tried the ICM changed that and still doesnt work. If its the cap and rotor im going to be pissed. What do u guys think?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Changed ICM and coil WTF??? (LagunaSecaEG)

Did you check all your fuses and are you getting fuel? Theres a million different things taht could be wrong, how did you know it was the dist? checked for spark?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changed ICM and coil WTF??? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you check all your fuses and are you getting fuel? Theres a million different things taht could be wrong, how did you know it was the dist? checked for spark? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i put a screw driver in the spark plug wire and there wasnt any kind of spark when it was turned over. I just changed the cap and rotor and when i turned it over a LOUD POP came out of my exhaust.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you check all your fuses and are you getting fuel? Theres a million different things taht could be wrong, how did you know it was the dist? checked for spark? </TD></TR></TABLE>

When my car stopped working i was trying to start it and it kept turning over but wouldnt start so i pushed the gas multiple times too see if that was the problem....is it possible that i flooded the system?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You sure you have it in the correct firing order? Usually when it pops it means its wrong.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You sure you have it in the correct firing order? Usually when it pops it means its wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i checked it because a friend of mine told me the same thing, but everything is in the right place...
Old 03-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i turn it over it smells like something is burning, but the smell isnt that strong ....bad starter?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wheres the smell coming from? Ive seen ecu's smoke due to IAT and EVAP being switched, but the car starts at first. Did you do that? Check your timing belt.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 AM

Try to be more specific please.

So you check for spark, no spark?

then you replaced the coil, still no spark?

is the dist getting power? check for corrosion at the connectors too.

If all is working then yea check timing
Old 03-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's cranking the starter should be fine. Did you put the dizzy back on correctly? I've made that mistake, similar symptoms.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changed ICM and coil WTF??? (dr92cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr92cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's cranking the starter should be fine. Did you put the dizzy back on correctly? I've made that mistake, similar symptoms. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yah i made sure it was back correctly. I had my someone look at it and he said that it sounds like its not gettin combustion when i crank it over so we are going to do a compression check tomarrow hopefully
Old 03-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This ALL started when i was driving home from work my car was running funny like it was low on gas which it was. So i filled up my tank and ran fine. While i was driving home i got on it and hit boost and some smoke came out but had full boost nothing was wrong. I heard something under the hood buzzing like electrical or something so i got home popped my hood and pulled my plug wires out while it was running to see if the motor would die. Pulled 4,3,and #2 died on me. So i go and start the car up and thats when all this **** happened.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr92cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's cranking the starter should be fine. Did you put the dizzy back on correctly? I've made that mistake, similar symptoms. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Could it be a possibility that the motor took a ****?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LagunaSecaEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Could it be a possibility that the motor took a ****? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure.

But let's start from the beginning, and rule out the cheap stuff first.

Does the motor have:
1. air
2. fuel
3. spark
4. compression

If it's not getting one of those things, there's your problem. If it is getting all those things, and still not starting, then it's your timing. Let us know how that compression test comes.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr92cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sure.

But let's start from the beginning, and rule out the cheap stuff first.

Does the motor have:
1. air
2. fuel
3. spark
4. compression

If it's not getting one of those things, there's your problem. If it is getting all those things, and still not starting, then it's your timing. Let us know how that compression test comes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont know if im checking for spark the right way but i stick a flat head inside of the plug wire and on the metal of the plug wire and my gf turns it over and theres no spark. Is that the right way? When you say that all the stuff up top isnt working and then its my timing do u mean that the timing is off? timing belt is broken?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LagunaSecaEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont know if im checking for spark the right way but i stick a flat head inside of the plug wire and on the metal of the plug wire and my gf turns it over and theres no spark. Is that the right way? When you say that all the stuff up top isnt working and then its my timing do u mean that the timing is off? timing belt is broken?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to hold the screwdriver near some metal. I just prop it somewhere inside the engine compartment next to the fender.

As far as the timing belt, that's pretty easy to check. Is it there? ok.

But if you put the wires on the dizzy wrong, that would throw off the timing. Like I said before, a buddy and I put my dizzy back on wrong once. We cranked it and cranked it until we figured out that we were trying to fire the cylinders at bdc
Old 03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr92cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You need to hold the screwdriver near some metal. I just prop it somewhere inside the engine compartment next to the fender.

As far as the timing belt, that's pretty easy to check. Is it there? ok.

But if you put the wires on the dizzy wrong, that would throw off the timing. Like I said before, a buddy and I put my dizzy back on wrong once. We cranked it and cranked it until we figured out that we were trying to fire the cylinders at bdc </TD></TR></TABLE>

Getting spark for sure, checked the timing belt its still on. Weird thing my valves were really loose so i tighten them down to specs. Checked the fuel by opening the nut on the end of the fuel rail and turn the car to on and it shot out everywhere so im guessing thats working. Didnt do compression test yet, ill get that tomorow, but if i did the test and each cylinder was bad wouldnt it still crank over?

I Checked the main relay for ***** and giggles and when i turned on the car i had the main relay in my hand and i felt it clicking. As for the distributor i put the motor on TDC made sure the rotor inside the distributor was pointing on the right spot. Even my spark plug wires have a dot on which one its suppose to be on. As for air...Should i be checking like TPS, IACV? I really appreciate the help everyone. Its just this car has me stumped and i just want to fix it as soon as possible, again thank you
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 PM

dont forget to c heck your fuel injectors too. possible that some are not working.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FJmbztech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FJmbztech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont forget to c heck your fuel injectors too. possible that some are not working.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

How would i go about doing that?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LagunaSecaEG)

do u think its possible that there is too much gas in the cylinders? my spark plugs were drenched! Cleaned them off put them back in and pulled them out and still drenched!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if main relay is out do they injectors still work? I have gasoline on my dipstick and i wanted to know how to get it out of the cylinders. I cranked the car over without spark plugs and some shoots out but not alot. I have probably cranked my car overlike 30 times since it hasnt started a month ago. Do u think the system is flooded so much that it wont start?????????????????????????
Old 03-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could main relay be fine but the plug going to it not be good? i checked the main relay and its fine. But i didnt inspect the harness the it goes into.