b18b1 problems .. help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18b1 problems .. help!!!

ok so i finally finish the swap .. 96 LS into 96 Civic HB
and here goes my problems

1. freakin bad motor seeing as its leaking oil by the valve cover and head gasket
? bad head? . bad head gasket?

2. burning oil .. dunno where .. smoke coming from back of motor . oil spat all over the shift linkage and underneath the IM

3. also my temp gauge dont seem right .. its too low when i was driving it earlier .. and my fan dont seem to come on at all .. i know its hotter than that . the temp gauge sits like between normal and cold

well any help/suggestion would be great .. thx in adv

im gonna go get a new oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket ..
Old 05-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Team Purple

Default Re: b18b1 problems .. help!!!

sounds like the previous motor blew motor on it. if he blew the head gasket it would explain that leaking oil....and if the motor was blown bad enough it would allow oil into the combustion chamber which would mean it would burn oil....is it overheating??? what color is the smoke coming out?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

96 or not, any swap i ever pick up will have the h/g changed on it, just for peace of mind. figure out where your leaking oil from the motor and get that fixed
then change your headgasket if its still smoking
make sure you dont have coolant in your oil
and the under cooling thing check your thermostat
if the rad fan isnt working, hook it up to direct power and see if it turns on, you may not have the ground hooked up right.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maverick31210
sounds like the previous motor blew motor on it. if he blew the head gasket it would explain that leaking oil....and if the motor was blown bad enough it would allow oil into the combustion chamber which would mean it would burn oil....is it overheating??? what color is the smoke coming out?
not sure if its overheating seeing as my temp gauge dont seem to go up at all .. and the color well not sure but it looks white and smell like buring oil . it was dark so yea ..
Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ1_Sleeper
96 or not, any swap i ever pick up will have the h/g changed on it, just for peace of mind. figure out where your leaking oil from the motor and get that fixed
then change your headgasket if its still smoking
make sure you dont have coolant in your oil
and the under cooling thing check your thermostat
if the rad fan isnt working, hook it up to direct power and see if it turns on, you may not have the ground hooked up right.
thx ill try that
Old 05-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i jacked up the car .. and omg .. there was oil like all over the exhaust piping all the way back to the axle back .. some oil underneath the car pass side and all .. thats alot of oil on the car .. wth .. did i forget to bolt something up? ..
Old 05-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by runwitme
ok so i jacked up the car .. and omg .. there was oil like all over the exhaust piping all the way back to the axle back .. some oil underneath the car pass side and all .. thats alot of oil on the car .. wth .. did i forget to bolt something up? ..
sounds like something you would do.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seeing as how the head gasket and the valve cover gaskets are cheap; and the swap is new, I would do both. Just for piece of mind. It will take you about 2 hours to do the whole thing. As far as the issue with the temp gauge goes, do what EJ1Sleeper said. If the fan works then get a new stat. As far as the oil on the back of the motor goes, check the oil sending unit. It's on the back of the driver side of the motor. It has a wire coming out of it and a boot covering it. If it's not that, then there are some oil lines on the back of the passenger side of the motor as well. Jack it up again, start it up, then look under the car to see where the oil really is coming from. We can help you more then. GL!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JosephColy
sounds like something you would do.
well thx for the bump but you was no help

Originally Posted by vtechjunkie
Seeing as how the head gasket and the valve cover gaskets are cheap; and the swap is new, I would do both. Just for piece of mind. It will take you about 2 hours to do the whole thing. As far as the issue with the temp gauge goes, do what EJ1Sleeper said. If the fan works then get a new stat. As far as the oil on the back of the motor goes, check the oil sending unit. It's on the back of the driver side of the motor. It has a wire coming out of it and a boot covering it. If it's not that, then there are some oil lines on the back of the passenger side of the motor as well. Jack it up again, start it up, then look under the car to see where the oil really is coming from. We can help you more then. GL!
thx a bunch .. yea im gonna do a head gasket job this coming weekend .. but yea the fan finally came on after a while .. i guess it wasnt hot enough for the fan to switch on . but the temp seems to be around normal now .. i jus might get a new stat for pom . but would the stat from a sohc work? . seeing as i jus did a new stat on the single .. hmm i think the boot is rip on that wire on the back driverside .. would that cause oil to spray everywhere? . yea i had it jacked up yesterday and started the engine but didnt really see where it was coming from . maybe i wasnt lookin at the right area .. but ill try that again .. thx for the info
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the circle red has a little gap .. the blue is where all the oil are at . it follows the exhaust piping all the way back to the axle back .. would that lilttle gap cause all the oil to spray underneath the car like in the pic? ..