Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18B + manual trans swap into 93 EG, Automatic!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM
b15
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B + manual trans swap into 93 EG, Automatic!

Well, I've decided to go the route of the swap, rather than attempt to build up the D15B7. My major problem is that my EG (hatch) is auto transmission. I'm going to be swapping in a B18B motor with a manual transmission... I have the basic rundown of parts I am going to need, but I need to know what I need to do about the pedals (should I buy pedals from an EG civic or Integra?) and for the rest of the tranny swap... I also really need direction on where to find some of these parts...I also really need to know what ECU I need to get.

I am buying a combination B18B Engine/transmission. Not B18B1.

PLEASE correct anything here that's wrong and feel free to add to this.

* Harness = Same, good to go
* Axles from 94 integra (Bought these already)
* Shift linkage from 94-00 Integra
* Integra Motor Mounts - (3).. rear, driver side, tranny
* torque mounts on each side (I have no idea how/where to locate these or if they will come with the new motor)
* Rear transmission bracket (I assume this won't come with the motor..found on ebay)
* transmission and motor backet for the torque mount (no idea where to find this)
* integra clutch pedal assembly
* civic/integra clutch master cylinder
* Hydraulic clutch line for 94 up integra
* clutch slave cylinder from 94 Integra (Shouldn't this come w/ the trans?)
* Starter for 94 integra (should come with trans I believe)
* ECU...which?
* Center console --> will a manual trans shift boot for the EG civic work with the integra shift linkage?

I assume I'll need a clutch reservoir, but do I buy one for a civic or integra?

Thank you in advance
B15.

Last edited by b15; 01-08-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B + manual trans swap into 93 EG, Automatic!

The reservoir is part of the master cylinder assy on an EG. Just like the brake MS but with a smaller cup. I think the bracket for the front stabilizer is the AC pump bracket. The trans bracket can be seen if you look under the bumper just in front of the right front wheel. You can find just about any misc parts you need at hondaautomotiveparts.com if you can't find them cheaper at local salvage yards, for sale forums, craigslist or ebay. The shift boot should be fine- it's just a piece of fabric. You can get aftermarket ones or just sew your own and have a brand new boot that's better than stock. What comes with the trans is up to the seller. Technically speaking, if you ordered just a transmission, usually that's what you get; no mounts, clutch parts or starter. You'll need a MT brake pedal too. MT gauges would be good. You'll need to either get a header or an exhaust manifold and downpipe. You should get a whole new exhaust since yours was made for 1.5L. While you can go without awhile, you should size up your wheel/tire size to what the ECU is programmed for. Your speedo will be off until then. I think the ECU is P75. You want to get a 94 or 95 b18b so it is OBD1 like your wiring harness.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so, who's doing the welding for you?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM
b15
Honda-Tech Member

what welding?

thanks for the reply delsol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
this is the setup I'm going to be purchasing
Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by b15
what welding?
You have to cut the automatic pocket mount off the passenger's side frame rail and weld on the manual version, OR use an aftermarket auto to manual conversion mount.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the welding he is probably referring to is the trans mount bracket. The trans mount on auto vehicles is significantly higher than the manual. You can either cut the bracket from a manual car and weld it into yours....or, do what I did and buy an auto-to-manual conversion trans mount (included is a link to the same type I bought....worked perfectly). All the other teg mounts will work, no problem.

Also, EVERYTHING from a DC can be used to convert an EG, which is what I did (pedals, reservoir, etc.) I did a 5speed swap on my EG and used a DC as a donor for parts, and everything converted over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INNOV...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b15
what welding?
Originally Posted by 94EG8
You have to cut the automatic pocket mount off the passenger's side frame rail and weld on the manual version, OR use an aftermarket auto to manual conversion mount.
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq
the welding he is probably referring to is the trans mount bracket. The trans mount on auto vehicles is significantly higher than the manual. You can either cut the bracket from a manual car and weld it into yours....or, do what I did and buy an auto-to-manual conversion trans mount (included is a link to the same type I bought....worked perfectly). All the other teg mounts will work, no problem.

Also, EVERYTHING from a DC can be used to convert an EG, which is what I did (pedals, reservoir, etc.) I did a 5speed swap on my EG and used a DC as a donor for parts, and everything converted over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INNOV...Q5fAccessories

^^^^ this

for an 04 you still have a lot to learn.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
b15
Honda-Tech Member

thank you omgWTFbbq!
So, is this the only transmission mount I'll need to buy, and then the two Integra motor mounts, then thats it?

PS: Only owned a Honda since September, I just used the forum a long time ago to buy wheels for a Nissan
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b15
thank you omgWTFbbq!
So, is this the only transmission mount I'll need to buy, and then the two Integra motor mounts, then thats it?

PS: Only owned a Honda since September, I just used the forum a long time ago to buy wheels for a Nissan

the only problem with the auto to manual swap is the transmission mount. once you have that problem solved(which looks like you have) then everything else should be okay.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bout to do the exact same swap but with a b18a1 and a cable style tranny.. so mines a tad easier. Looks like you got everything, and the mount is the only real snag in the whole swap from what I've seen, don't think anyone mentioned it but you have to make a cover out of sheet metal to cover the big *** hole from the auto shifter. I personally do have a question though, when mounting up the linkage is it a bolt on deal as far as the shifter end or is there fab work with that to hold the shifter end of the linkage in place??
Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by xSteve_Ox
bout to do the exact same swap but with a b18a1 and a cable style tranny.. so mines a tad easier.
Its harder. You'll need a special upper mount and a hasport hydro to cable conversion kit. It really doesn't make sense to run a cable tranny when you add up the cost of the kit you'll need to run it. My advice to you: get a hydro tranny, if you have a '92 - '93 cable tranny you can even just pick up a hydro case and swap the cable guts into it.

don't think anyone mentioned it but you have to make a cover out of sheet metal to cover the big *** hole from the auto shifter.
I always cut the ring that holds the inner shift boot out of the donor car and bolt it in.

I personally do have a question though, when mounting up the linkage is it a bolt on deal as far as the shifter end or is there fab work with that to hold the shifter end of the linkage in place??
Its a bolt on affair outside of drilling 2 holes for the bolts to go through. You will see 2 1" diamter holes that are covered with metal from the bottom, drill a 5/16 hole through the center of each one.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doing the same thing in a couple weeks. may want to pickup the starter relay from a manual car too.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...48557#34826076

Originally Posted by 94EG8
My advice to you: get a hydro tranny, if you have a '92 - '93 cable tranny you can even just pick up a hydro case and swap the cable guts into it.
if you can do transmission work and get good deals on parts you can build a hydro tranny with cable gsr gearing for cheap.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason I said its easier is for me personally I'm pulling my swap from my current car which has the b18a1 and cable b16 tranny and all the neccesary hydro to cable conv. parts. I also beleive cable is simpler and less parts to aquire therefore why I said it was easier to swap. I bought my del sol already with this swap, only thing I need to get different is shift linkage and the tranny mount which I said in my other thread you posted in, Innovative was making my tranny mount for auto to manual with cable tranny. Thanks for your answer on the linkage question.

Last edited by xSteve_Ox; 01-10-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 AM
b15
Honda-Tech Member

bump thanks for the replies, does anyone know anything about the clutch lines I'll need? I assume I need the line to connect the master and slave cylinder, and a line that somehow goes to the clutch reservoir too. All I'm finding are stainless steel lines on ebay but someone suggested going OEM would be best.

Can someone take a look at this link and tell me what you think? Is this ALL the lines that I need?
I don't care about spending a few more dollars as long as its correct!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Russe...Q5fAccessories