Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Assuming clutch hydraulics are leaky...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assuming clutch hydraulics are leaky...

Clutch has an odd feel. Needs to be pressed pretty far down for a smooth shift, seems to re-engage further up its travel. When I mentioned this in passing on another forum, some folks pointed out that these hydraulics are notorious for leakage. A quick search here revealed this thread...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...lutch+cylinder

...which more or less backs up what I also saw on EricTheCarGuy. I'm not home for a good long while, so I'll have to inspect it then.

I've also seen Exedy hydraulics mentioned as a good bet for parts. OK, works for me.

Main question is, what's the best way to bleed this? Keeping in mind that I'll be working alone...hand-pump vacuum? Electric vacuum?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assuming clutch hydraulics are leaky...

are you having the exact same problem as the link you posted? ive had the same problem your link describes even if you bleed it out the master cylinder and put it all back together it is still going to act up soooner or later its best to just get a new master cylinder how long since you last change clutch fluid and your master cylinder?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My problem isn't as extreme, it just doesn't feel right. I won't toss parts at it until I feel I have some sort of diagnosis or I've run to the end of what I can do.

I've had the car for a couple of months, so absolutely no idea if/when these components were swapped out. It has felt a bit off from day one but hasn't gotten any worse.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so what have you done so far?

inspect all the suspect parts for leakage. replace as needed.

bleed the line from the master to the slave cylinder. use a looped length of clear tubing and a bottle, just like bleeding brakes, pump the pedal and top off reservoir as you go.

if the clutch itself isn't messed up, it's got to be either the master or slave cylinder is bad, or a leaky line, or incorrectly adjusted master cylinder rod. not too much it could be really.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, a master and slave cylinder are dirt cheap parts on these cars. a bit of a pain to replace though
Old 06-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BryanM.
so what have you done so far?

inspect all the suspect parts for leakage. replace as needed.

bleed the line from the master to the slave cylinder. use a looped length of clear tubing and a bottle, just like bleeding brakes, pump the pedal and top off reservoir as you go.

if the clutch itself isn't messed up, it's got to be either the master or slave cylinder is bad, or a leaky line, or incorrectly adjusted master cylinder rod. not too much it could be really.

Nothing really. I'm gone from home as much as a month at a time, and I'll be taking my next week off away from home. It'll be a while. So far just gathering information.

As far as bleeding goes, just trying to save myself some time. I don't want to waste time doing it the slow way when a faster way exists.A week off at a time is a lot, until it isn't.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jcp385
Nothing really. I'm gone from home as much as a month at a time, and I'll be taking my next week off away from home. It'll be a while. So far just gathering information.

As far as bleeding goes, just trying to save myself some time. I don't want to waste time doing it the slow way when a faster way exists.A week off at a time is a lot, until it isn't.
lets say its not the clutch if you just bleed it again and you find no leaks and the problem is still there you gonna have to replace the clutch master and slave cylinder either way and thats more clutch fluid you are wasting plus the first time you bleed it so might as well just get the master and cylinder and do them both at the same time and and just bleed once just my suggestion the parts dont cost an arm and a leg and with the right tools can be done within an hour or two