Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 civic pulls to right

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 civic pulls to right

I just put my OEM upper control arms back in, removed the JDM Sport ones after the ball joints and bushing went bad. I did an alignment and got toe set perfectly, rear camber is set to -1.1 front left camber is -0.9 but front right camber is -2.2! Car is lowered on Eibach springs. Any ideas on why my camber is so bad on the right front and is causing the slight pull to right?.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 98 civic pulls to right

wouldnt this be a question for the guy who did the alignment?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:05 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

take the car back and have those idiots fix their crappy alignment work.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
wouldnt this be a question for the guy who did the alignment?
Originally Posted by NVturbo
take the car back and have those idiots fix their crappy alignment work.
I am a mechanic and I did the alignment. I cant figure out why I have such bad camber on the right side. It must be a bad control arm bushings or maybe a bent control arm. I was hoping someone else have the same issue with a Civic lowered. It is not a crappy alignment I set rear toe, rear camber and front toe. No front camber adjustment because I up the stock control arms back on the front so There is no way that a crappy alignment could have caused the -2.2 camber on the front right, everything is within spec but the front right camber.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the tie rod ends if they are ok? A
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes tie rods inner and outer are good and bad tie rods will not effect camber. It will effect the ability to correctly set toe which is not my issue.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Both sides have negative camber and despite the gap between them it shouldn't pull to the right. I got mine aligned last week and my camber is at FL -0.5 FR -2.1 and I have no pull but I also know my camber is out of whack due to a collision on the FR about 6 months ago causing slight frame damage considering I've replaced all UCA, LCA, A-frame and tie rods on both sides.

What is your toe at? Are they both negative? Cause if the right is even slightly positive it could cause a pull to the right.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Toe is set to 0 on all 4 corners, all in spec but the front right camber and yes too much negative camber will cause a pull. My car as no frame damage never been in a crash. The pull is only really noticeable above 60 mph.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, you're starting to sound like either an entry level mechanic who isn't ready for the alignment rack, or a backyard mechanic. What machine did you use to set your alignment? When was it last calibrated? Assuming you actually had your car up on a proper alignment machine, why didn't you check your parts while it was on the alignment rack? Alignment 101 - if **** down there is broken, you stop the alignment and get customer authorization to replace broken parts.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
Toe is set to 0 on all 4 corners, all in spec but the front right camber and yes too much negative camber will cause a pull. My car as no frame damage never been in a crash. The pull is only really noticeable above 60 mph.
Yea camber will make a car pull but it usually take s a large gap if anything your car would pull to the left as when camber does cause a pull it is to the most positive or least negative camber side. Another thing to look at is your caster, if your right wheel has less caster than the left then it could also cause a pull. Also are your tires new or old? If old what is the wear like on them?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alignment was done on a Hunter Hawkeye alignment machine, it was serviced by Hunter about 8 months ago. I have been doing alignments for many years now, ASE cert mechanic. I know you dont align a car with broken or worn suspension parts, that is how I make my money so I look for worn out parts and bushings before doing an alignment. I did not do caster swings because a Civic has not caster adjustment so there is not point and caster would only be off if there was something really messed up in the front end. -0.9 on the left and -2.2 on the right is a pretty large camber gap. Tires are brand new did them the same day as the alignment. I was wearing inner edges of the old tires due to the toe being off front and rear, it had been about 3 years since I last did an alignment on the car. Last time it was done was with the adjustable upper control arms and camber was fine but now with the old OEM control arms there is too much camber on the right. I never had a pull until the OEM control arms where put back on and it did not pull before when they were originally one and the car has never been in a wreck, no curb checking nothing that would mess up the front end. Well I guess I will pull off the control arm and take a better look at the bushings and put the car back on the alignment rack for a double check.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and yes I set the rear alignment first of coarse. For those of you that dont know you need to do the rear first or you can make the car dog track, front and rear wheels not lined up with each other.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Every time I see numbers like that there has been damage done to something somewhere from an accident.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So there was no issue With first OEM, no issue with Adjustable Upper Control Arms, but now with OEM it's off.
To me this sounds like when you did some aligning with the adjustables, it changed something to effect the chamber.
Did you make sure that nothing has been warped due to alignment with non OEM arms? Something has been torqued on down there and needs to be adjusted or replaced by the sounds of it.
I know you're a mechanic but sounds like you might have missed something on that last alignment job.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bent knuckle
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
bent knuckle
That's what I was thinking and It's almost certainly not bent enough to eyeball it.
OP you're gonna have to replace some stuff on that side.
It's not even that expensive and it would be nice to have new stuff up there anyway
Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah going to start by replacing the control arm. I can't see the knuckle being bent, nothing has happened to cause it to be bent.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ i am willing to bet the bitch is bent...

I had a 95 del sol si i got from a friend and he NEVER mentioned that as the car sat As Is, that for some reason it had rediculous negative camber on the RF wheel...

So i swapped a b16a LSD gen 2 swap in it and when i took it down the road it INSTANTLY pulled to the right... enough to make you get a little nervous like something is wayyy wrong...

so i threw a bigger brake set up. (replaced the knuckles of course) after looking CLOSELY, it was bent but to the naked eye you would never have known...