Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Alignment Question after lowering car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Question after lowering car

i lowered my car using h&r sport springs. no camber kit was used. just springs.

i went to get my car aligned, and it was determined that i need a front camber kit.

front left
camber: -2.0
caster: 0.3
toe: 0.00

front right
camber: -2.2
caster: -0.1
toe: -0.04

rear left
toe: .40

rear right
toe: 0.06

my main question is this: my car was not aligned due to the fact that my camber and toe are all out of wack. should they have been able to align my car with the messed up camber and toe, or is that what in fact an alignment is, fixing the camber, toe, and caster? sorry for the stupid question.

also, they said my bushings are all rotted out and i need all new bushings around, but it is easier just to buy control arms? and they can't adjust anything without the new control arms?

anyways, if anyone can help with what i can do just to get my car aligned for now, it owuld be appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (.brian.)

They could've set the toe, and that's it. You can't adjust the camber or caster, because the factory didn't make them adjustable. That's why they make camber kits. I would get a camber kit, and an energy suspension bushing kit, and put those on, then get it aligned.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (loudassVTEC)

ok great. i am most definatly getting a front camber kit. after i get that, will they be able to align my car? i know they can fix the camber with that, but what about an actual alignmnet?

also, with the bushing kit, will i have to get a shop to put them on? if i opt not to get the bushings or the lca's, will they still be able to align my car (granted i get the camber kit) they said since all of the bushings are shot, any adjustments they do would just move back since the bushings all dry rotted.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .brian. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok great. i am most definatly getting a front camber kit. after i get that, will they be able to align my car? i know they can fix the camber with that, but what about an actual alignmnet?

also, with the bushing kit, will i have to get a shop to put them on? if i opt not to get the bushings or the lca's, will they still be able to align my car (granted i get the camber kit) they said since all of the bushings are shot, any adjustments they do would just move back since the bushings all dry rotted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I hear the bushings are pretty hard to install. I've never done it personally. I think you have to torch the old bushings out, and then get some sort of press to press the new ones in. I think I'm gonna do mine at the shop where I work, cause mine are shot as well, I also need ball joints and tie rod ends, so I'm gonna get my buddie to help me, and hopefully I can git 'er don.

After you get the camber kit, the shop can align it. They'll set the camber, then the toe. And hopefully with those two right, the caster will be in the green as well. And then your car won't eat tires in 8000 miles like mine did.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (loudassVTEC)

great. thanks for the help.

it sounds like i will be getting the front camber it soon. thanks again
Old 01-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .brian. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great. thanks for the help.

it sounds like i will be getting the front camber it soon. thanks again </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why are you getting a camber kit? 2.0 - 2.2 degrees sounds like a good amount of camber for street use. Just get the toe set correctly, thats what eats tires.

Check me sig for pics of it, but my Spitfire has -4.75* rear camber, and thats actually within spec. Had the car for 12 years without any "camber wear" on the tires.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (TunerN00b)

it says the specified range for camber is

since i am at -2.0 and -2.2 that is not within the specified range. again, i am just asking and saying what they told me. it would be great if i did not have to get a camber kit and bushings if i don't have to, but they said without the front camber kit and all new bushings, they cannot do anything.

with the dry rotted bushings on my control arms, can they still set the toe to 0?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:11 PM

If you can just get all those replace if it helps ur mind out... go with skunk2 camber kit or the ball joints one..if you use the ball joints ur gonna have to shave off the ends of the arm for it wont hit the fender if that happens to you...and get a Alignment after that your car will feel much better since I just had my car done yesterday... try to look for some shops that can install it for you if you cant do it yourself..or look into search area.. it helps
Old 01-16-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (TunerN00b)

The can set the toe and align (stop pulling to one side or the other) without having to mess with the camber.

I know a lot of people say that camber does not wear tires, and lots of people have hard facts to back this up. But personally I feel it is a good idea to put the camber back to stock, or very close to stock. At least you are getting a better tire contact patch.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (Racermech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racermech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The can set the toe and align (stop pulling to one side or the other) without having to mess with the camber.

</TD></TR></TABLE>can they do that with beat to **** bushings?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they could have adjusted your toe...since thats the only alignment seting that is adjustable on it stock. your camber wasnt bad at all....so you really should need to get a camber kit. alittle bit of neg. camber is a good thing.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectTeG)

so really it sounds like they were just trying to steal some money from me then.

i guess i should look for a new place that will do my alignment for me without needing to buy a camber kit and all. thanks for all of your replies.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

bah Camber Schmamber... I used to run H&R Sports and then slammed on Ground Controls with no camber kit. I was running -2.5 to -2.7 camber in front and would usually get 30K-40K miles out of a set of ES100 tires with regular tire rotations.

Just go to a shop and tell them that you ONLY want them to adjust toe into spec and nothing else. If they say they can't, walk (unless the car has been wrecked and can't be adjusted into spec).

As for worn bushings, it will make it easier for your alignment to become out-of-spec over time. When my friend used to do my alignments for free, I would get my alignment checked every 6 months or so just to be safe. If you can get some type of lifetime alignment deal, definitely go for that.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

thanks patrick! so they should have no problems whatsoever setting the toe despite the worn bushings?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 AM

no camber kit on the back tires??? that is really easy to do and cost about $5 -&gt; all it is is a longer bolt and a few washers, make sure that's measured too
Old 01-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (rkrone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rkrone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no camber kit on the back tires??? that is really easy to do and cost about $5 -&gt; all it is is a longer bolt and a few washers, make sure that's measured too</TD></TR></TABLE>

my rear camber is fine, the toe is just fucked up on the rear.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:53 AM

*bump* for looking and getting good information
Old 01-17-2006, 10:06 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (DA9GUY-637)

just get the toe set and leave the camber.

as long as both sides of camber are relatively the same that is fine.
some negative camber is required on cars, the more negative camber the more cornering you can achieve since the tires arent | | straight up and down they are more at an angle / \ . (if your looking from the front of the car.

for toe it needs to be set and can be set to factory specs. the toe is how the tires point. when the wheel is straight the tires should be | | looking from the top of the car. when toe is off it can leave one tire straight and one tire pointing towards another direction | / . (looking from top)

as far as bushings, you need to take each part out and have it pressed out at a shop or removed yourself and then a new one pressed in.

mentioned above, incorrect toe settings will destroy a tire quicker than negative camber would.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question after lowering car (IVI)

some good info in here. thanks to all who took time to answer and help