Notices

update on my motor... what do you think now..???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 08:24 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on my motor... what do you think now..???

Ok I have a 94 LS w/Drag III kit, JE Pistons 9.5-1, Nu Forms Block Guard, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Bored 20mm over, Balanced and Polished Crank, MSD 6al Ign., MSD BTM, APEXi s-afc, AEM Fuel Rail, stock injectors.. The other day I upped the boost to 10 and I heard a sound like the car backfired when I got on it... Didnt loose power just made a sound. I put it back to 8 and didnt hear it again.. Well today I put the boost back at 10 and got on it again.. This time I heard the same sound and lost power... I looked in the rear view and I saw smoke which is not unusual since the car runs rich at 8 lbs and my a/f didnt show lean at 10 when I got on it.. It was night so I couldnt quite tell the color of the smoke.. I am guessin it was black as normal.. I am scared what that cut out was and what the backfire noise was... !!!! Also I could hear ticking from my valves being adjusted, now I hear a louder tick that seems like it is coming from up higher on the engine.. Please tell me what to check for and what your opinions are on what is going on...

That was the original post.. here is the follow up...

Ok I woke up this morning at 5 to start checking things out.. I have no smoke coming from anywhere. I also checked the intercooler piping and it is all tight. I ran a compression check and it came out 170,160,170,170. I changed the plugs and they didnt look too white or anything. Looked to be rich. I did notice one bad thing though.. My timing on my MSD BTM is usually set at 1, well I guess i must have bumped it or something (the **** moves easily) cause it was set at almost 3. I am sure that is what it was set at last night when i had my problems. I dont know if that is what caused what happened last night (i am thinking it is) nor do i know what kind of problems that could or may have created with my motor. what do you think? i am gonna also try to have my valves adjusted today as well....
Old 09-07-2001, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: update on my motor... what do you think now..??? (ill logic)

The BTM will cause what you discribed. Those compression numbers look fine. I would not boost to 10psi till you get some bigger injectors

k
Old 09-07-2001, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: update on my motor... what do you think now..??? (redline)

definately the btm. In my prelude, with anything over 1°/psi, the car does something similar like you mentioned. I run without the btm at all with no problems. (when it runs, hehe)
Old 09-08-2001, 12:08 AM
New User

ttt
Old 09-10-2001, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you already have your answer....
Old 09-10-2001, 06:54 AM

Default Re: update on my motor... what do you think now..??? (apexii)

Definately the BTM. But make sure you do go get that valve adjustment, because they were ticking before you even bought it . Its okay to turn up the boost, that motor has seen 12 psi already . Good luck.