Notices

built motor (no turbo yet) losing power, engine makes a warbling sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default built motor (no turbo yet) losing power, engine makes a warbling sound

Hey guys,

I noticed something this morning while I was driving my car. I noticed that the engine was making sort of a warbling sound. In addition there was a noticeable decrease in power. The motor was built and sleeved and it has some 83mm 9:1 CP pistons as well as some Portflow headwork. It's only got 500 miles on it and I used Castrol GTX 5W30 oil. It was also kind of cold out this morning probably 45-55F, and when I started the car I let it run for about 2 minutes.

As soon as I noticed the sound I pulled over and shut it down. I checked for leaks, and any unusual smells, but it looked all normal. I waited 5 minutes then I cranked it up again. It was still making the warbling noise, but the motor was starting to warm up and by then the noise had gone. I drove the car some more, and it was fine until I had to make a left hand turn. I noticed the sound again as well as the power loss, but it went away after a few seconds.

So what are your guys thoughts? I was thinking that maybe I didn't let the engine warm up enough before first driving it. But I'm still trying to figure out why the car hiccuped again when the car was already fully warmed up. I'm going to wait a few hours when it's warm out, then I'm gonna start the car and see if it does the same thing.

let me know what you guys think
Thanks
Old 09-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it causing vibration?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostjunkie757)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostjunkie757 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it causing vibration?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's hard to tell cause my car vibrates a lot anyways from the motor mounts. The warbling sound is coming from the exhaust and the engine...it doesn't sound smooth like it's supposed to. Just to be safe I'm going to do a compression test, and see how it turns out.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know the feeling from the motor mounts....but you should see if it pulls to one side under load.....i had a similar strange noise that turned out to be an axle....and now ive got a clutch that went south that makes an interesting noise...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure on the hiccup....mine does that occasionally because of the tune....it doesnt like hills and inclines too much...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostjunkie757)

It's definately not an axle cause it made the same sound when I was sitting still. I would blip the throttle and it would make the sound.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything possibly work its way loose? some type of heat shield possibly....its hard to say what it could be internally without hearing it...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

if it kinda sounds like a turkey and you have a sprung-hub (clutch) one of the springs could have popped out. this happened in my 4dr gsr with a act street/strip ceramic coated plate. somehow the tabs that held the spring in were damaged and the spring popped out and decided to dance around my flywheel bolts. sometimes it would slip and sometimes it wouldnt. but the mother-fuc*er sounded like a turkey!!!

when inspected and replaced the clutch plate looked great and useable if it wasnt for that damn spring and its shitty tabs.

ps: i had the dust plate removed at the time and the spring didnt fall out.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotommy)

I do have an Action 2MS clutch setup.

DUAL DIAPHRAGM HEAVY
DUTY PRESSURE PLATE,
6 PUCK DISK WITH MIBA
FRICTION PADS,
SPRUNG, 500 HP.

So it's probably a good idea for me to check that out? Is it still a good idea to drive the car or should I have it towed?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pop the tranny off and take a look...the spring and a lot of debree came out of my tranny case as soon as i pulled it. the spring also damaged all of the flywheel bolts but i was able to hammer the socket onto all of them and use an impact gun.

i drove for about 5 days from the start of the turkey noise till i pulled the tranny.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could be throwout bearing i guess...but that wouldnt explain the loss of power..
Old 09-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: built motor (no turbo yet) losing power, engine makes a warbling sound (BlueShadow)

wtf is a warbling sound?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: built motor (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf is a warbling sound?</TD></TR></TABLE>

touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth and make an ERRRR sound
Old 09-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: built motor (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth and make an ERRRR sound </TD></TR></TABLE>

uhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotommy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotommy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pop the tranny off and take a look...the spring and a lot of debree came out of my tranny case as soon as i pulled it. the spring also damaged all of the flywheel bolts but i was able to hammer the socket onto all of them and use an impact gun.

i drove for about 5 days from the start of the turkey noise till i pulled the tranny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just went out to the car after it had been sitting all day. I started it up and let it run for about 3 minutes, and I didn't hear any weird sounds. I've asked a few people to see what they have to say. I'm still not sure if the Action 2MS is behind it. Would it still cause the noise even when the engine was at idle? I didn't hear any grinding or anything coming from the tranny. Just that weird loping idle sound, like I have a bad exhaust leak at the header or something.

Could I just remove the flywheel dust shield and see if anything falls out or just to see what I can see?

EDIT: just wondering, would a clogged cat make sounds similar to what I'm describing?

TIA
Old 09-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fouled spark plugs?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stingray96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stingray96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fouled spark plugs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll have to check for that when I go to do the compression check. They only have 500 miles on them though, but I'll still check. My Walbro could be causing my fuel pressure to be slightly higher, but that's just a guess.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont believe you can remove the dust shield without removing the tranny case on b-series.

mine almost always made a noise but it made that gross turkey noise when the clutch was clamping.

you should record it lol