Notices

Turbo Select Help:Canyon run D16@250-300whp 90oct w/ Meth-water

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Select Help:Canyon run D16@250-300whp 90oct w/ Meth-water

Hey guys, I'm planning out a build for a 4-Door 96-00 Civic. Motor is going to be semi-built, (Vitara pistons and custom length rods, ARP head studs, etc...) tranny is going to get an LSD, and I plan to do something a little different and run MegaSquirt. Methanol injection will likely also be implemented, due to the fact that in the state of Alaska you can't get E85 or anything over 90 octane.

This whole build is going to be centered around torque. Please don't suggest an engine swap; I've already considered that as an option, but I also want this build to be good on gas. Dat 30MPG tho.

Anyways... I still need a turbo. If any of you know anything about the Fiesta ST, you know that it has a turbo 1.6L, with full boost at 2500RPM. Knowing that the D-series heads aren't very high flowing, (and that I'm keeping stock head), I would like recommendations on a turbo that will make my build feel N/A. This setup isn't going to be raced, just street driven.

My power target is around 250-300WHP with the turbo at the top of it's efficiency curve, and it needs to spool quick enough to feel more or less N/A.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Turbo Select Help:Canyon run D16@250-300whp 90oct w/ Meth-water

You could still get 30mpg with an engine swap easily.

Anyways, the turbo you likely want is a gt2860rs. Look up turbos online that flow around 30-35 pounds if you would like more options.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Turbo Select Help:Canyon run D16@250-300whp 90oct w/ Meth-water

I'm very familiar with the Fiesta & Focus STs. Those owners swap their turbos out faster than a bear emptying out a tourist's car who left their food open..

30mpg, Ain't happening with that power level. Even the Fiestas can't do that with their smaller K03 turbos and Direct Injection. If you get about 19-25mpg, be happy with it. Those guys are running about 12-15psi on the lower octane fuel and reach maximum torque by 2500rpms, but really suffer top end power w/ anything over 5000rpms. This is why they upgrade to "Big" turbos (I always laugh when they say a GT28R series is a "BIG" turbo upgrade.. )

You're going to be in the GT28R series, (about 33-40lbs/min) The smaller ones always are more expensive,. be prepared to run water lines and good oil. The closest thing to anything like that in a journal bearing (regardless of company) is a T3 Super 60 or GT28 Journal bearing.

Meth/water injection will definitely help.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Select Help:Canyon run D16@250-300whp 90oct w/ Meth-water

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'm very familiar with the Fiesta & Focus STs. Those owners swap their turbos out faster than a bear emptying out a tourist's car who left their food open..

30mpg, Ain't happening with that power level. Even the Fiestas can't do that with their smaller K03 turbos and Direct Injection. If you get about 19-25mpg, be happy with it. Those guys are running about 12-15psi on the lower octane fuel and reach maximum torque by 2500rpms, but really suffer top end power w/ anything over 5000rpms. This is why they upgrade to "Big" turbos (I always laugh when they say a GT28R series is a "BIG" turbo upgrade.. )

You're going to be in the GT28R series, (about 33-40lbs/min) The smaller ones always are more expensive,. be prepared to run water lines and good oil. The closest thing to anything like that in a journal bearing (regardless of company) is a T3 Super 60 or GT28 Journal bearing.

Meth/water injection will definitely help.
Why can't he get 30mpg? Sure, if he gets into boost a lot then it obviously won't happen. Also, I'm not saying he should do this, but there is always the option of going the 'ultra-lean' method for regular commuting. Not sure if you're interested/familiar with the ecomodder scene and the like. Have found some really interesting stuff there.

Edit*
Perhaps I shouldn't ask why, just thought it was curious that he couldn't based on some claimed mpg results others around here have had with much higher power levels.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Select Help:Canyon run D16@250-300whp 90oct w/ Meth-water

Originally Posted by Geis
Why can't he get 30mpg? Sure, if he gets into boost a lot then it obviously won't happen. Also, I'm not saying he should do this, but there is always the option of going the 'ultra-lean' method for regular commuting. Not sure if you're interested/familiar with the ecomodder scene and the like. Have found some really interesting stuff there.

Edit*
Perhaps I shouldn't ask why, just thought it was curious that he couldn't based on some claimed mpg results others around here have had with much higher power levels.
I normally don't post what I do as a legal contractor much, (I find it arrogantly unnecessary), but currently I'm on a delegated NHTSA committee board with 2 OEM companies that have a budget of about 14 million dollars each devoted to "Economodding", with direct Injected , Hydro-Electric , and hybrid vehicles. I'm quite familiar with the concept.

I keep it realistic. He tries to get 250whp on a turbocharger, he's not getting 30mpg on a 23 year old platform without going into an entirely new project schematic, Economod or otherwise. I'm just showing him he needs to stay in his lane and not try to bite off more than he can chew. He want's 30mpg? Go for it with a different car. But they won't be the same one he's turbocharging, bottom line. .