Notices

turbo build any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo build any suggestions

ok so im doing a budget turbo build and was wondering what you guys think and what else i all need. so this is what i got

TDO5H turbo (first gen eclipse) $$$free from my bro
obx manifold $$$200 ebay
dsm 450cc injectors $$$free from my bro

things i need
hondata s300
fmic 27x6x2.5 $$$100 on ebay
2.25 intercooler piping.
2.5downpipe
fuel pressure regulator
ebay ssqv knock off ssqv

and im sure there are somethings im forgetting but i want to know what you guys think and what else i all need befor i go to put it together and am screwed because i dont have something thanks you guys
Old 06-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo build any suggestions (stock ek)

add a digital camera to your list, so you can post pictures of the carnage since you obviously don't know what you're doing.

the OBX manifold, td05h, and DSMs will be fine with a budget build. one way or another, that OBX manifold will find its way into the garbage can (cracking issues) if you're going with hondata, make sure its s300B, so you can tune for your turbo. check out some of the other stand alones available, or talk with with your tuner to help you out. dont forget your oil lines either!

also, judging from your screen name "stock ek," i'm going to assume you're still running on obd2 saturated injectors. you'll need to wire up a resister box to get those DSMS functioning properly.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Find a tuner who uses crome and with the $$ you save buy a better manifold. Get the injectors cleaned. http://www.witchhunter.com did mine. Get 2.5" ic piping and a 3" dp, you will want them later. You forgot the wg, that is a very important part. You need a map sensor, a fuel pump, couplers and t-bolt clamps and dont forget you will prolly need a better clutch, springs and dampners and tires. This stuff gets expensive.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo build any suggestions (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Find a tuner who uses crome and with the $$ you save buy a better manifold. Get the injectors cleaned. http://www.witchhunter.com did mine. Get 2.5" ic piping and a 3" dp, you will want them later. You forgot the wg, that is a very important part. You need a map sensor, a fuel pump, couplers and t-bolt clamps and dont forget you will prolly need a better clutch, springs and dampners and tires. </TD></TR></TABLE>

great info i didnt even think about getting the injectors cleaned, better safe than sorry! i 2nd finding a tuner who uses crome, you'll save a grip of money by opting away from hondata. i believe the td05h is internally gated?

you may need a boost controller in case the internal gate does not go as high as you want. you will need a map sensor if you plan to exceed 11psi; if you plan on boosting this much or higher, you're better off getting a rod/piston combo as well. sohc-T's can get by using the stock pump.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This stuff gets expensive. </TD></TR></TABLE>
even if you're a budget builder, you've still got to lay down plenty of cash
Old 06-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo build any suggestions (confucioussae)

the tdo5h is internally gated, and all the other stuff like dampers and rims and clutch i already have a have tein ss and a comp clutch stage 2 with an extreme pressure plate i didnt ad those cuz i just figured i had to replace the clutch anyways cuz its the original one. what so bad about the obx manifolds they look to be ok and if they crack ill just weld it back. i used to work for a race team and our welder there is amazing so i hope it does ok i fugured any way you look at it every mani has a possibility of cracking. and for the map sensor do i just need an adapter because dont y8s already have a map sensor???. my tuner suggested hondata but im not sure i think i will go with crome i just need to find the right place. i only plan on running 7psi right now until i get a new motor built wont the stock fuel pump be able to hold up. thanks for all the feed back guys
Old 06-01-2007, 08:30 PM

If your gonna buy anything OBX you should just **** in a box and mail it to yourself
Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the tdo5h is internally gated, and all the other stuff like dampers and rims and clutch i already have a have tein ss and a comp clutch stage 2 with an extreme pressure plate i didnt ad those cuz i just figured i had to replace the clutch anyways cuz its the original one. what so bad about the obx manifolds they look to be ok and if they crack ill just weld it back. i used to work for a race team and our welder there is amazing so i hope it does ok i fugured any way you look at it every mani has a possibility of cracking. and for the map sensor do i just need an adapter because dont y8s already have a map sensor???. my tuner suggested hondata but im not sure i think i will go with crome i just need to find the right place. i only plan on running 7psi right now until i get a new motor built wont the stock fuel pump be able to hold up. thanks for all the feed back guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

Every honda comes with a map sensor. You need one that can measure higher pressures than the stock one is able to. You can get a motorola one for like $25. They are cheap, no point in not getting one. As for the manifold, if that's the way you wanna go then just get it, why ask? You wanted people's opinions but dont want to accept their advice.

Yes every manifold has the chance of cracking, but the PROBABILITY of the manifold cracking is also a variable you need to weigh. If your a good welder and want to weld the cracks up yourself, then buy two 1.5" t's, two 1.5" el's a flange that fits your head, butt them all together and weld up the cracks. It will last a lot longer than the obx. It is a real PITA to take everything off and weld a manifold, but if you have the time and patience then go ahead.

MAP sensor:

http://www.digi-key.com part number MPX4250AP-ND
Old 06-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i do want your advice i just already bought the obx thats all
Old 06-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, ok, well why didn't you say that?? Ebay that mess and buy a diff one.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 AM

so with that map senor i will be fine?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo build any suggestions (Sean DM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sean DM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so with that map senor i will be fine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the stock map sensor is good for up to 11 psi. any more than that you need to upgrade
Old 06-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo build any suggestions (Sean DM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sean DM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so with that map senor i will be fine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on how much boost you will be running. Most are fine with it. It is a 2.5 bar map sensor so (here we go again).................

Atmospheric pressure is 14.7psi. That is the force the atmosphere exerts on everything @ sea level (this number goes down as altitude increases and vice versa when you drop below sea level). A 2.5 bar map sensor can read up to 36.25 psi (because 1 bar = 14.5 psi, so 2.5 bar = 36.25 psi). But you have to remember that we are already @ 14.7 (the pressure the atmosphere exerts), so the map sensor's usable range is actually 21.55 psi. This is for a 2.5 bar map sensor. So if you plan on running higher than 21.55 psi of boost you will need a map sensor that reads higher pressures. Hope that helped.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet so im good with my stock one i only plan on running 7-8psi thanks for all your help guys you really helped shed some light on the tuf stuff.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:50 PM

man i would really reconsider the setup u have chosen, coming from personal experience. the td05h will die off and drop boost, my ebay manifold had to be cut and rewelded to even fit . save the money and do it right the first time
Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So if you plan on running higher than 21.55 psi of boost you will need a map sensor that reads higher pressures. Hope that helped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good info but do you seriously think this guy plans on running that much boost. for this setup the stock map will be perfectly fine.

i agree with you guys on the obx mani and as far as tuning crome/uber is a better bet. hondata is way too expensive for a "budget build". fpr is not necessary.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo build any suggestions (dpetro1)

yea i just got the obx and am going to put it back on ebay and the td05h's bracket is wrong and i would have to make a bracket to make it work what kind of turbo would you guys suggest, i got this one for free so its was hard to beat thanks to my brother on that one, but yea so what would you guys suggest now
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo build any suggestions (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good info but do you seriously think this guy plans on running that much boost. for this setup the stock map will be perfectly fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depends on how much boost you will be running.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) Another $25 for map sensor is cheap and he will want more boost later, everyone does.
2) Another $20-30 for an fpr is cheap as well and he can get more from his injectors later if he chooses.

He can get both of these later, but why not do them now? $55 is very little compared to the rest of the kit and it will allow him to have some variability in the future.