Notices

Ebay Turbo Kit...(yeah i know they're shit)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Turbo Kit...(yeah i know they're ****)

My question is, are there any ebay turbo kits that are worth purchasing if I'm planning on replacing the turbo? (immediately)
I've heard the ebay bov's and wastegates work alright, piping is piping, only other thing that kinda scares me reliability wise is the turbo manifold but other than that what about the other parts?
I would sell the turbo right away so that would save me a couple hundred, not to mention most of these kits start around 5-600 anyways so that's dirt cheap. Mind you this is for a b20 turbo build with only around 250-300 wheel and it's my first build so I don't really give a ---- if it's sub optimal.
Yeah I know the intercooler is w/e but who cares for this hp range...also some of these kits include boost controllers, manual I'm assuming but that's not a big deal to me, don't see how they couldn't work. Hmmmm other than that some have turbo timers.. don't know if they're any good but yeah just give me opinions, I'm no dumbass just exercising options guys.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ebay Turbo Kit...(yeah i know they're ****)

I would not use the turbo,bov or wastegate and if it's a stainless tubular manifold, **** that ****

so you're pretty much left with piping. Just get a piping/intercooler kit. Buy used but quality bov/wg honestly
Old 02-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by $amGD3
I would not use the turbo,bov or wastegate and if it's a stainless tubular manifold, **** that ****

so you're pretty much left with piping. Just get a piping/intercooler kit. Buy used but quality bov/wg honestly
Yeah I mean, I suppose I could take the chance with the wastegate at least, seeing how I can avoid any ill affects if I keep an eye on the boost gauge...
I've been back and forth on whether or not just to buy an entire used kit with quality parts or this ****.
The only thing about the intercooler piping is since I'm new to this and have already ran into problems just clearing up/fixing some stuff on the car I'm afraid I won't be able to get the piping to work with any manifold...
Yeah but screw it I may end up just doing that.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

So based upon your logic, you feel it makes more sense (in an effort to save money) to buy an "extra kit" to replace bad eBay parts from the kit you're thinking of buying..

Basically spending $500 in an effort to save $50..

You don't find that more time, work and extra effort consumed rather than simply getting a good kit to start with?..

I'm just asking here for someone to clarify the logic for me, please.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM
Swaggylicious

I would go used first, even for piping

for used at least you can find out how/what the last owner did to make it fit. For new it's a crap shoot

on the subject of WG, **** for your hp goals, it may even be worth to go with an internal wastegated turbo, one less thing to worry about
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
So based upon your logic, you feel it makes more sense (in an effort to save money) to buy an "extra kit" to replace bad eBay parts from the kit you're thinking of buying..

Basically spending $500 in an effort to save $50..
LOL when you you put it that way...
I was thinking... don't know if any exists but lets pretend
I keep the: manifold (pretend its ok), piping/intercooler, oil lines, and uhhhh.....well ****, I mean.. yeah **** this
IF the wastegate and BOV were alright I guess it would be worth it...this one kit has a turbo timer, catch can, slim cooling fan (don't know wtf I'd use that for), 'high flow billet' fuel filter, and coolant sensor bung included with it, but I was thinking about it and was like 'man this has gotta be some ****'
Ok you're right your Shodaness
Old 02-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by $amGD3
I would go used first, even for piping

for used at least you can find out how/what the last owner did to make it fit. For new it's a crap shoot

on the subject of WG, **** for your hp goals, it may even be worth to go with an internal wastegated turbo, one less thing to worry about
Nah I would rather get on off the bat, but yeah was thinking the same thing about the piping...
Welp WTB forums here I come! (in a bit)
Old 02-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Swaggylicious

Originally Posted by Geis
LOL when you you put it that way...
I was thinking... don't know if any exists but lets pretend
I keep the: manifold (pretend its ok), piping/intercooler, oil lines, and uhhhh.....well ****, I mean.. yeah **** this
IF the wastegate and BOV were alright I guess it would be worth it...this one kit has a turbo timer, catch can, slim cooling fan (don't know wtf I'd use that for), 'high flow billet' fuel filter, and coolant sensor bung included with it, but I was thinking about it and was like 'man this has gotta be some ****'
Ok you're right your Shodaness
yeah that's all **** dude

I started my turbo kit with a used kit i paid $400 locally. I was able to use most of the cold side piping,intercooler,cast log mani,greddy bov and Tial WG, not a bad start for $400
Old 02-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn that is pretty good start
Old 02-24-2015, 02:30 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh yay, tax season!!!

For your goals you can piece together a moderate setup for under $2k. Albeit, used would be ideal, but there are risks involved and not exactly the best scenario every time, or perhaps ever LOL! Your biggest expense should be your turbo and tuning. Most n00bs don't even think about the tuning side of things... it's more important than the turbo kit.

A cheap cast log manifold, a budget universal intercooler piping kit, and BS intercooler will be fine for your goals. A boost controller is absolutely unwarranted unless you cheap out on the waste gate and have to go above the installed spring pressure. A slim fan may be in order depending on the clocking, manifold design, and size of the turbo, but these are cheap and easy to install. A quality feed line and return line are worth the investment but not exactly a MUST have priority.

The knock-off BOVs (mainly the HKS style) aren't actually that bad. If you were going to cheap out on one of the 3 major components it would be the BOV. The wastegate, if it fails shut and proper protection settings aren't set in the EMS (you'd be rather stupid to not do that) it could lead to a blown engine. The BOV is there to protect the turbo only.

Basically, you need to figure out a solid budget plan and go from there. Everything I said you could have found on your own by reading the FAQs LMFAO!!!

Don't worry trolls, I have my flame suit on - flame away.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't have the funds to do it properly...don't(or at least save up) so many broke bitch boys around here that try and brag about their "boosted Honda", not calling anyone in this thread out but i'm stating my experience/what i've seen.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly......any China Charger is going to be a risky buy, and this is always a bad topic to start off with lol......if I ever were to buy one I would look into this place maybe...their whole thing is that they assemble and balance here in the US with whats made in China....

Web Store

but even then its still a matter of you get what you pay for

but if you want something affordable to start with I would look at rebuilt units from usedturbos.net
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits Honda Civic Acura Integra D16 B16 B18
Old 02-25-2015, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Id say wastegate get used. Tials will last forever under normal street use. BOV probably doesnt matter, piping and intercooler ebay fine.

Injectors (DSM 450 or EVO, or other bigger then stock), Clutch, ECU, Fuel pump, clamps / tbolts / oil lines, turbo and manifold I would not skimp on.Then of course fab work for downpipe and exhaust.

Orrr find a used kit with quality parts on here for 1-1.5. I found a pretty much complete greddy kit on here for 1k when I started down the boost path. Still had to spend another K on clutch, tune, and misc odds and ends.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Oh yay, tax season!!!

For your goals you can piece together a moderate setup for under $2k. Albeit, used would be ideal, but there are risks involved and not exactly the best scenario every time, or perhaps ever LOL! Your biggest expense should be your turbo and tuning. Most n00bs don't even think about the tuning side of things... it's more important than the turbo kit.

A cheap cast log manifold, a budget universal intercooler piping kit, and BS intercooler will be fine for your goals. A boost controller is absolutely unwarranted unless you cheap out on the waste gate and have to go above the installed spring pressure. A slim fan may be in order depending on the clocking, manifold design, and size of the turbo, but these are cheap and easy to install. A quality feed line and return line are worth the investment but not exactly a MUST have priority.

The knock-off BOVs (mainly the HKS style) aren't actually that bad. If you were going to cheap out on one of the 3 major components it would be the BOV. The wastegate, if it fails shut and proper protection settings aren't set in the EMS (you'd be rather stupid to not do that) it could lead to a blown engine. The BOV is there to protect the turbo only.

Basically, you need to figure out a solid budget plan and go from there. Everything I said you could have found on your own by reading the FAQs LMFAO!!!

Don't worry trolls, I have my flame suit on - flame away.
Hue, Welp this 'noob' is street tuning his own car (thanks @LightningTeg for the inspiration )... yeah.
Yeah it's 'tax season' so you must think that's why I'm turboing now... been putting it off for a while and saving up the funds.... could blow around 5 k right now if I wanna but Imma stay cheap for this power level and see what I can do with 1500-2500. Going to want a boost controller anyways since I'll prob be running a 16g or t3 super 60 around 20psi.
Really am not worried about the wastegate, like I said that's what the boost gauge is for ;0
thank you for the input
Old 02-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
If you don't have the funds to do it properly...don't(or at least save up) so many broke bitch boys around here that try and brag about their "boosted Honda", not calling anyone in this thread out but i'm stating my experience/what i've seen.
Don't worry,
You'll see my build log soon enough and I gurantee you that there won't be any failures from cheaping out.

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy
Honestly......any China Charger is going to be a risky buy, and this is always a bad topic to start off with lol......if I ever were to buy one I would look into this place maybe...their whole thing is that they assemble and balance here in the US with whats made in China....

Web Store

but even then its still a matter of you get what you pay for

but if you want something affordable to start with I would look at rebuilt units from usedturbos.net
Ooooooooooor just buy one here and send it to be rebuilt (if that's even needed lol)

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Id say wastegate get used. Tials will last forever under normal street use. BOV probably doesnt matter, piping and intercooler ebay fine.

Injectors (DSM 450 or EVO, or other bigger then stock), Clutch, ECU, Fuel pump, clamps / tbolts / oil lines, turbo and manifold I would not skimp on.Then of course fab work for downpipe and exhaust.

Orrr find a used kit with quality parts on here for 1-1.5. I found a pretty much complete greddy kit on here for 1k when I started down the boost path. Still had to spend another K on clutch, tune, and misc odds and ends.
I will admit I'm cheaping out on the clutch for now, found that the XTDs are hit or miss but for this power level **** it...if it goes bad I'll replace it.
Yep have read *most* of your build on TI...now gotta get through the rest.
Now I just need to find a god damn GSR tranny....so f---ing hard to find here in SoCal, especially with a solid aftermarket LSD.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Swaggylicious

dude if you have 5g's to spend I would DEFINITELY get the complete kit from go-auto-works, 2 grand and you're 98% there
Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have street tuned multiple cars and have never blown up ****. You need to know what you are doing when it comes to reading plugs and understanding engine needs, but judging by your extremely basic questions your knowledge on cars is limited. I was actually being polite, didn't realize you knew it all, my bad holmes. So why in the hell did you even make this thread?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have street tuned multiple cars and have never blown up ****. You need to know what you are doing when it comes to reading plugs and understanding engine needs, but judging by your extremely basic questions your knowledge on cars is limited. I was actually being polite, didn't realize you knew it all, my bad holmes. So why in the hell did you even make this thread?
lol, what basic questions?
I stated i already knew they were ****, but have also seen that some parts are useable from egay, no matter how bad they are.
Please quote me implying i even slightly knew it all.....
Oh honda-tech, seems like a breeding ground for people with the most baseless arguments...if you have no other useful information then please, do me a favor and gtfo this thread, you've already been thanked for your input sir.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Going the quick easy cheap way only leads to you hating cars and blaming it later for how much of a waste of money it was when you were a kid because you decided to be an idiot and waste it all on garbage parts and support the wrong companies. 300 whp is a lot when using garbage parts. Patience is tough but spend the time reading first since it seems you wouldn't be able to do it yet anyways. I've had friends go the fast cheap everything way and they never had anything in the end... Always just fixing to replace with more cheap parts... spend more in the long run always good luck.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Geis
I will admit I'm cheaping out on the clutch for now, found that the XTDs are hit or miss but for this power level **** it...if it goes bad I'll replace it.
Yep have read *most* of your build on TI...now gotta get through the rest.
Now I just need to find a god damn GSR tranny....so f---ing hard to find here in SoCal, especially with a solid aftermarket LSD.
Oh and btw buddy of mine bought this.... Pilot bearing went in about 2 days along with throwout bearing... Do you really want to spend the time taking trans off and draining fluid and refinishing flywheel all over again?... Assuming stock flywheel resurface:

XTD Clutch $200
Flywheel Resurface 20 - 50

Range ~ 10,000 km max

Exedy/ACT/Competition 400-500
Flywheel Resurface 20 - 50

Range ~ 80,000 to 100,000

Choice is yours... longer term spendings and time wasting of XTD clearly much more than spending an extra 300 bucks? No logic period....
Old 02-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xanthias
Going the quick easy cheap way only leads to you hating cars and blaming it later for how much of a waste of money it was when you were a kid because you decided to be an idiot and waste it all on garbage parts and support the wrong companies. 300 whp is a lot when using garbage parts. Patience is tough but spend the time reading first. I've had friends go the fast cheap everything way and they never had anything in the end... Always just fixing to replace with more cheap parts... spend more in the long run always good luck.
LOL
Did you even read anything in this thread?
Where did I state or even imply that I was going to use all garbage parts, I merely inquired about a few being sourced out for cheap parts seeing the low goals of the setup and after researching online finding some people saying that a few were alright (namely some BOVs, WGs and intercooler).
'Patience is tough' 'you wouldn't be able to do it anyways'
Seriously man, wtf do you know about my level of competence? I've been extremely patient and have been studying for a few months now while saving even more funds than I needed to start this project. ****, I even made a thread a while back using formulas to find how much boost I would need to run etc. all from studying compressor maps and the FAQ and I only got two responses out of tons of views just pretty much saying 'welp, do what everyone else does lol'
Get off your little elitist *** bruh.
XTD clutch is like 80 bucks btw, have seen countless people say they've ran it around or above my hp and it did fine for them, I'm still not certain on it though.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A cheap cast log manifold, a budget universal intercooler piping kit, and BS intercooler will be fine for your goals. A boost controller is absolutely unwarranted unless you cheap out on the waste gate and have to go above the installed spring pressure.

Welp, thanks to @Xanthias for putting me in a good mood, which means time to shoot your post down! (that's what a good mood for me is )
'Cheap cast log manifold' - Yep, cheap out on the manifold to raise possibilities of cracking and damaging turbo, right
' A boost controller is absolutely unwarranted unless you cheap out on the waste gate and have to go above the installed spring pressure. ' - Yeah cuz why in the world would anyone ever want to run low boost especially on a car that will spool super quickly? Oh but you're right, boost controllers are only there to replace the need to change a WG spring, got it
' If you were going to cheap out on one of the 3 major components it would be the BOV' 'The BOV is there to protect the turbo only.' - Sure, I mean, it's not like you could cheap out on the wastegate instead and make sure to keep eyes on the boost gauge, silly me, I'm such a 'n00b'
Oh and, who the **** cares about protecting the turbo, right? Pffffff, it's not like it's the most expensive component of the entire turbo system of anything.
For saying you were prepared for trolls, you sure do seem like one yourself. Not surprised seeing how this is HT, after all.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Xtd clutches work pretty good. I did see one of the ebay flywheel kits shear the pins and bolts sheared. Destroyed the tyranny. Also seen it happen on a name brand...

Dude I support buying economical stuff. There are a few waste gates and bov that work great. Stay away from the ssqv models... The cheap all aluminum dump ones work much better. I take all eBay components and re assemble if I can. I've had a few eBay turbos that worked well.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go for it! The 240 forums are great for reviews on cx turbo eBay XS power parts. They have an attitude that destroying **** all the time is part of the hobby. Which I share.

I'm going to be running a primarily full aftermarket cdm turbo setup. Pieced together of course.

Quick Reply: Ebay Turbo Kit...(yeah i know they're shit)