Notices

Too much oil pressure or flow for the turbo feed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much oil pressure or flow for the turbo feed?

I have been trying to figure out how different sized fittings from the oil send unit could affect the pressure or flow for the turbo.

I have had some people tell me to "watch out" which sized fittings I use as too much oil pressure will be bad for the turbo. But it seems to me that whatever the oil pressure is in the motor that's what it will be for the send line.

It seems that flow could be adjusted based on the size of the fitting, but I don't know, I am a video editor and shouldn't have been allowed to put a turbo on my Honda...

Old 10-31-2003, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Too much oil pressure or flow for the turbo feed? (azulito)

I put a needle valve from the hardware store inline with my feed line right before my oil pressure gauge. All i gotta do is turn the valve to adjust the pressure. I get the same pressure at idle but it limits the pressure in higher rpms. I have it around 40psi as opposed to 75+ i was getting before. You could also get a restrictor...do a search for "restrictor" on here and you should find a thread with someone selling them. I would go w/ the needle vavle though cause its like 5 bucks and its adjustable. Hope this helps
Old 10-31-2003, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Too much oil pressure or flow for the turbo feed? (BlueSi2k)

here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=653778

check that out

btw, this is basically what I used http://www.acehardware.com/pro...amily
Old 10-31-2003, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been thinking about whether my turbo is getting too much oil pressure. I'm running a -3an feed and a -10an return. I guess theres no way of knowing if I need one without an oil pressure gauge. What is a good pressure number wise to be at for a feed line?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueSi2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put a needle valve from the hardware store inline with my feed line right before my oil pressure gauge. All i gotta do is turn the valve to adjust the pressure. I get the same pressure at idle but it limits the pressure in higher rpms. I have it around 40psi as opposed to 75+ i was getting before. You could also get a restrictor...do a search for "restrictor" on here and you should find a thread with someone selling them. I would go w/ the needle vavle though cause its like 5 bucks and its adjustable. Hope this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok just trying to completely understand this..........

soo the gauge and there after the needle valve is seeing 40psi, but the engine is seeing its normal 75+psi? is that correct?

ive got my oil pressure gauge teed off with about 1ft of line and im only seeing about 60psi max when its warmed up with an autometer electric gauge..... is this fine?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry if i jacked any of this thread......... i just lack knowledge.........
Old 10-31-2003, 09:33 AM

Default Re: (sloorex)

Hey the same questions you are asking I want answered too! I would like to make sure a have the right setup for a brand new turbo...

Seems to be plenty of disagreeing on the restrictor subject.

I am still planning on tapping the oil discharge port on the oil pump for my oil pressure gauge.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Too much oil pressure or flow for the turbo feed? (sloorex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sloorex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok just trying to completely understand this..........

soo the gauge and there after the needle valve is seeing 40psi, but the engine is seeing its normal 75+psi? is that correct?

ive got my oil pressure gauge teed off with about 1ft of line and im only seeing about 60psi max when its warmed up with an autometer electric gauge..... is this fine? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea the engine sees what it always did. The only thing after the valve is the turbo. 60psi is fine...it also depends on what oil you run. Right now I have 15w50 in my car which is really thick so it produces more pressure.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:55 AM

Default Re: (azulito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by azulito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey the same questions you are asking I want answered too! I would like to make sure a have the right setup for a brand new turbo...

Seems to be plenty of disagreeing on the restrictor subject.

I am still planning on tapping the oil discharge port on the oil pump for my oil pressure gauge.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are gonna use a valve your definately gonna want to put a gauge after it so you know what you are adjusting it too. No matter where the gauge is your still gonna know if something goes wrong with the oil system. Thats why i put mine right after the valve.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueSi2k)

understood completely.......... i will definitely go with the needle vlave when i finish putting my kit together

thanx
Old 02-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sloorex)

do most people run into problems with too much oil pressure to the Turbo? Im wondering if ill be fine just running my .3an line and be good. So how would you run the needle valve and guage inline with the -3An line? just curious how you guys did it. what will happen to the turbo if they pressure is too high... break ****? or just blow by the seals. I will be using 5w20 maybe 10w30 at times.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1SlowSi)

5w20?? damm... suggestion: get thicker oil, unless you live where temp's are always like -20C...
Old 02-16-2004, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nick7)

Well thats what the Honda dealership will usually use as well. I live in Florida so it stay pretty damn hot. whats 20 degrees C? around what F. 10w30 is what i used to use. Thicker oil = higher oil pressure.. so this cant be too bad then.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1SlowSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1SlowSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well thats what the Honda dealership will usually use as well. I live in Florida so it stay pretty damn hot. whats 20 degrees C? around what F. 10w30 is what i used to use. Thicker oil = higher oil pressure.. so this cant be too bad then.</TD></TR></TABLE>

-20C = -4F
And yes.. thicker oil is better.. especially if you DRIVE car and oil gets hotter (turbo also helps here quite a bit..) - so you want thicker oil.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too much oil pressure or flow for the turbo feed? (azulito)

Do you have a pressure gauge ? you need to know the oil pressure on your car at idle or WOT. Blowing turbo seals may not neccesarily due to too much pressure, a lot of the ones that I see is becasue the oil return kit is not properly done therefore oil backing up in the cartridge area.

Get a pressure gauge, run a -3AN line and double check your oil return setup.

stan
Old 02-16-2004, 06:46 AM

Normally with a -3an line you should be good without restrictor correct?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedD15B7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedD15B7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Normally with a -3an line you should be good without restrictor correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES you will not need any restrictor. Again, if your car is smoking, check your oil return line first, don't assume it is the oil feed line.

stan
Old 02-16-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (Flamenco-T)

Flamenco, could this also be if the turbo is tilted and the oil feed line is not straight up and down?? I heard that this could cause the oil to puddle up in the turbo? Fact or Fiction??
Old 02-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (space-tuna)

yes, thats why you clock the turbo so that the center housing has the feed on top and the return on bottom. otherwise the oil can pool if not setup properly.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (twkdCD595)

Hey guys, if im seeing some blue smoke at idle and recently changed up the oil return line, could this be due to the oil return line backing up even IF the turbo's seals are still good?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stizzit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stizzit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, if im seeing some blue smoke at idle and recently changed up the oil return line, could this be due to the oil return line backing up even IF the turbo's seals are still good? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, that's a possibility..

stan
Old 02-18-2004, 03:26 AM

Default Re: (BoostedD15B7)

Flamenco-T

Im running the setup from a Drag gen 3 kit, which i believe is a -3an line and the oil return is pretty big. Bout the size of a garden hose. Should be fine then?