Notices

oil pressure to the turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure to the turbo.

A while back I read that turbo's do not like high oil pressure, and that excessivly high pressure will cause premature seal failure. If I recall correctly it stated that They perform best with about 25-30psi of oil pressure. Well our engines create a little more then that, about 50psi to be exact. Does anybody do anything to lower the fuel pressure going to the turbo? If so what?
It just seems that there are a lot of prematurly worn out oil seals in practically new turbo's. It seems as though most factory turbo's can go 80+k miles with not problems while some turbo honda's go about 30-40k before problems happen.
just a little thought i had in mind
Old 06-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pressure to the turbo. (b16ahybrid)

they do sell oil pressure reducers....
Old 06-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's why your return must perfectly staright downpath, to help the increased oil pressure to the turbo to exits quickly.

they sell such fitting as oil restrictor, but it's really not necessary.

Also most factory turbo cars uses inverted flare fitting, which in comparison to pipe fitting is so much smaller in pin hole than the pipe fitting pin hole.

for example, 7/16 inverted flare fitting has an inlet hole of about 1mm, -3An in hole is baout 2-3 mm in diameter.

just focused on your return setup, you'll be fine

stan
Old 06-03-2003, 09:17 PM

Default Re: oil pressure to the turbo. (Flamenco-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's why your return must perfectly staright downpath, to help the increased oil pressure to the turbo to exits quickly.

they sell such fitting as oil restrictor, but it's really not necessary.

Also most factory turbo cars uses inverted flare fitting, which in comparison to pipe fitting is so much smaller in pin hole than the pipe fitting pin hole.

for example, 7/16 inverted flare fitting has an inlet hole of about 1mm, -3An in hole is baout 2-3 mm in diameter.

just focused on your return setup, you'll be fine

stan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for that info guy's. my oil return is 1'' inside diameter with no bends (strait to the oil pan) it flows just perfect. I was just reading a few other posts and started to thinkback about that....
Old 06-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It mainly applied to older turbos, and what you are hearing is yesterday's lore. If you have ever held semi-modern (T3, for example) turbo bearings in your hand... the pinhoe oil inlet there acts as plenty of a restrictor.

As far as premature turbo death on Hondas versus OEM, I have two perspectives: T3 bearings/centersection supporting heavy T4 wheels at 100,000 rpms and the fact that a turbo Honda is a tuner car - they get more abuse, and more people continuously up the boost than with OEM.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:19 AM

Default Re: oil pressure to the turbo. (J. Davis)

....<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It mainly applied to older turbos, and what you are hearing is yesterday's lore. If you have ever held semi-modern (T3, for example) turbo bearings in your hand... the pinhoe oil inlet there acts as plenty of a restrictor.

As far as premature turbo death on Hondas versus OEM, I have two perspectives: T3 bearings/centersection supporting heavy T4 wheels at 100,000 rpms and the fact that a turbo Honda is a tuner car - they get more abuse, and more people continuously up the boost than with OEM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, I supose people with turbo honda's probably do boost more then the average joe driving a turbo volvo, I know i do ....
Although lately i've seen a few new turbo 1.8t jetta's that smoke.... .....hmmm' Anyways,
Old 06-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a VW, dude. I don't mean to hate, but have you ever owned one? I'd love to have a VR6, but I couldn't handle the rest of the car falling apart around it.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I'm surprised I haven't seen yet is a dedicated oiling system, just for the turbo, separate from the rest of the car. Rather than using engine oil to lube the turbo, and having to test the oil's flashpoint every time you get on the gas, to me it makes more sense to keep the turbo oil separate, use an electric pump to drive the oiling system, and have an oil cooler installed. That way you can change the turbo's oil as often as you like, you don't need to worry about coked oil getting into your engine's oiling system, etc, etc.

Aside from the extra complexity of the oiling system - which could be hidden in the front bumper, for argument's sake - it seems like the best of both worlds... plus turbo timers would be rendered completely obsolete and useless, as you could drive the auxiliary oil pump as long as you'd like without worrying about keeping the car running...

Thoughts?

It's just so freakin' hard on engine oil to suddenly come from the engine and hit the blazing-hot turbo and then pass back to the much-cooler engine... can't be good for oil, and would cause premature oil breakdown!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:52 AM
New User

Default Re: oil pressure to the turbo. (raene)

Now thats a crazy idea that just might work...

almost like an air/water intercooler setup with pump, heat exchanger, and resevor (sp)...

id like to hear more ideas on this concept