Notices

Greddy manifold...are they really that bad.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Greddy manifold...are they really that bad.....

I know its no full-race, equal length, tubular, equal radius, single sonic pulse, thermo heat preserving..bad boy but, I have one of these greddy manifolds and from what I've been reading, everyone doesn't speak very highly of them. What are they really nitorius for? spiking, creep??? Is it really that bad of a manifold for someone on a buget??any info would be cool..thanks...
Old 02-15-2004, 03:06 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Greddy manifold...are they really that bad..... (Chillinit)

yes...and the crack easy.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Night_Minx

Default Re: Greddy manifold...are they really that bad..... (HybridcivicLS-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridcivicLS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes...and the crack easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah cast manifolds ******* snap in half if you even pick them up wrong

-retard-

actually the are not preferred for all the reasons you already said. Not equal length, not tubular, not equal radius, not single sonic pulse. Its self explanitory.

perhaps lack of inter-changability between diff. turbo sizes plays a roll as well...

But if you want a cheap, 100% reliable, good manifold for a street car, why not.

I road race my car, and the greddy manifold is $money$
Old 02-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Greddy manifold...are they really that bad..... (Night_Minx)

will ceramic coating help any of the creep and spiking issues?
Old 02-15-2004, 08:07 PM

spiking and creeping are usually do to the internal wastegaste on the turbo, some have remidied this by porting the wastegaste flapper.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Greddy manifold...are they really that bad..... (VinceVTEC)

porting the wastgae flapper? porting the flapper is made bigger for what purpose./....wil the flapper itself have to be made bigger to match the port...or is that the reason its done..to allow exhaust gasses to leak through??
Old 02-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chillinit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know its no full-race, equal length, tubular, equal radius, single sonic pulse, thermo heat preserving..bad boy but, I have one of these greddy manifolds and from what I've been reading, everyone doesn't speak very highly of them. What are they really nitorius for? spiking, creep??? Is it really that bad of a manifold for someone on a buget??any info would be cool..thanks... </TD></TR></TABLE>

they aren't NOTORIOUS for anything, however...not the BEST at anything either.

slight boost creep/spiking whatever you wanna call it...but they are great for daily driven cars.

mike

Old 02-15-2004, 10:37 PM

Okay, ill answer the posters question and then i will handle the rest of you.

There is nothing wrong with a greddy manifold. Its a std run of the mill cast manifold. They generally dont break unless you have a company that cheaps out on their casting. I havent heard too many people saying greddy manifolds crack, so i would say you would be more than safe with one. one thing i dont like about greddy is their usage of mitsu turbos, i find T3's are more common and better for hondas

Now, all you guys blaming greddy's manifold for the creep/spiking. You are pretty much 100% wrong to blame greddy, its actually the turbo+user error that allows for the problems controlling boost. Basically what happens is the turbo is calibrated to work with a 1.75"-2" exhaust. That is how the WG is set and such. If you do not bore out the WG hole when moving to a bigger exhaust, you will have problems with boost creep and such. No matter what, when you relieve that much back pressure your WG is going to act differently. Basically the moral of the story is, when using an internal WG bore out the WG hole if you are using a larger exhaust system because the WG/turbo is made with more back pressure in mind.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18b1hmtlove)

ok...can someone explain to me what is involved in boring out the wg hole?? Do u just make the hole bigger and leave the flapper the same diameter? and can anyone else vouch for this theory? I have a 18g with a 3" setup that I will be install soon...
Old 02-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chillinit)

anyone?
Old 02-17-2004, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1.8.TTT
Old 02-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chillinit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok...can someone explain to me what is involved in boring out the wg hole?? Do u just make the hole bigger and leave the flapper the same diameter? and can anyone else vouch for this theory? I have a 18g with a 3" setup that I will be install soon...</TD></TR></TABLE>
basically what is involved is taking the exhaust side of the turbo to a machine shop and having the hole bored out a few mm. YOu could also try to do this yourself with the right drill bit and a drill press. It would be best to enlarge the flapper by the same amount as the hole otherwise the turbo's response willsuffer slightly.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:27 AM

I had a Greddy manifold and it never crack... I made good power number with it... 260 whp at 15 psi on my TD04H-15G from the Greddy kit... on my SOHC.

So I dont think that he suck...

It is sure that you could get better but it will do a great job too for less $ !!
Old 02-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blueturboteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueturboteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
basically what is involved is taking the exhaust side of the turbo to a machine shop and having the hole bored out a few mm. YOu could also try to do this yourself with the right drill bit and a drill press. It would be best to enlarge the flapper by the same amount as the hole otherwise the turbo's response willsuffer slightly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

does anyone know where I can get a bigger flapper for my wastegate??? how much are they?
Old 02-17-2004, 06:45 PM

okay, what that kid said was wrong. go to home depot, get some sanding bits for tough metal. they are about $4 or so. put that on your drill, and bore out the WG hole, just dont make it larger than the flapper. It doesnt take much to help set a better equalibrium
Old 02-18-2004, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18b1hmtlove)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18b1hmtlove &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay, what that kid said was wrong. go to home depot, get some sanding bits for tough metal. they are about $4 or so. put that on your drill, and bore out the WG hole, just dont make it larger than the flapper. It doesnt take much to help set a better equalibrium</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks...I'm a little worried about taking a drill bit to my turbo...has anyone done this before....and did u have to disassemble ur turbo inorder to do it?? only reason I'm aksing is becuase of the metal filings that could end up getting into ur turbine and eventually into ur intake manifold...motor..