Notices

A though I have about fixing the afc hack..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A though I have about fixing the afc hacks ignition problem..

I just had a thought about a way to fix the ignition problem with the afc hack..

But first let me make sure I understand the problem.. First off with the afc hack the stock ecu thinks you at a higher vacuum then you really are and when you transision into boost the ecu still thinks you in a vacuum and thus as you boost up higher the ecu thinks your getting closer to 0psi.. With that the ignition maps are setup so that as you get to a higher load(closer to 0psi, less vaccum) your advance the timing just as a NA motor would.. But since your really in boost your running too much timing for the boost.. Is that an accurate gauge of the afc hack ignition problem.. If so go on..

Now to fix that.. Since alot of people like running the afc and dont want to tune with uberdata or something like that, Why not still get your ecu chipped since its so cheap and run an "afc hack map".. Meaning that you find at what vacuum level the ecu sees when (with the afc hack) your really transisioning into boost and adjust the tables from there up..

Just throwing out examples here with meaninless numbers.. Suppose that from
-14psi to -9psi that the ecu sees is really vacuum like normal but then from -8psi to 0psi is really boost with the afc hack.. Using this make the "afc hack map's" ignition timing that for the boost that your running so basically your using the afc hack to run boost and that adds the ignition problem, and then your using a chipped ecu to fix the ignition problem..

I know you could just run and tune uberdata but alot of people like using the afc hack and if someone sold the chips that would make this possible, getting the ecu chipped is easy and cheap then you would just put the chip into the ecu and run your afc hack with great timing..

Any thoughts on this..

Modified by tgreaves at 11:33 AM 10/1/2004
Old 10-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A though I have about fixing the afc hacks ignition problem.. (tgreaves)

because you might as well just run uberdata or similar, I don't know why anyone still uses the hack with these great options available. For $65 you can get everything you need from me except a chip burner ($50)

I think the main problem lies in people being lazy and not taking the time to learn how their ECU really works, understanding the ECU makes tuning EASY. You will run much better even on a crappy ubermap than you will on a good afc hack. It is just the nature of the two options. I offer my help to TONS of people on here, and most people can figure it out in a week or two if they take the time to read some of the wonderful articals written by kebbler and hondata. All the info is out there, for the people that want it. I do my part by offering as much support and info to people as possable, I also offer packages that get you setup for cheap.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:42 AM

Default Re: A though I have about fixing the afc hacks ignition problem.. (toolowsol)

I said a few times in my post that it would be eaiser (and better) to run and tune uberdata or some other type of better tunable fuel management system.. I dont run the afc hack (im on the AEM EMS) but I do know a few people who do use it.. The purpose of this was to help out people who want to run it get a better performing system that has much better ignition mapping than just the afc hack would give..
Old 10-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A though I have about fixing the afc hacks ignition problem.. (tgreaves)

I was in no way arguing your idea, it would work, but I think it would be better to encourage the hack users to go ahead and start with some real fuel management if they are going to go so far as to socket their ecu.

The only potential issue with this is you would need the consent of the writters of various editing programs to use their program for this purpose. I think the idea behind PGMFI and all the software that has come out of it is to give people the tools to learn and explore their engine management. A standard AFC hack chip (which would have to be offered free, or at cost unless you edited stock bins with a hex editor) is just another bandaid for fuel supply and ignition timing.

Either way, regardless of everyones personal opinion, your idea would work, and I'm sure people would be interested in it.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

It might work
Old 10-01-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Re: A though I have about fixing the afc hacks ignition problem.. (toolowsol)

I agree with you in saying that uberdata is a much better system for tuning and I do try to tell people to use something like that over the afc hack or worse yet the fmu's.. But there are alot of people that like the afc hack mainly because you take 2 minutes to input some parameters and your off boosting.. The fuel tables are way too off for my taste but are acceptable.. The ignition tables on the other hand are not acceptable and you have to do things like retard the ignition to make it work right and all that..

I just threw this out there to make a better and almost as easy fix for the ignition tables with the afc hack..
Old 10-02-2004, 10:10 AM

Good idea, I hate how everyone that uses the turboedit or uberdata just hate on the hack and even if something good like this is brought up, they just say "get uberdata". These guys aren't even taking the time to understand the vafc
Old 10-03-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A though I have about fixing the afc hacks ignition problem.. (hatchback_al)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchback_al &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good idea, I hate how everyone that uses the turboedit or uberdata just hate on the hack and even if something good like this is brought up, they just say "get uberdata". These guys aren't even taking the time to understand the vafc </TD></TR></TABLE>

no one is hating brotha-man...its undeniably safer (and more effective) to run a chipped ECU with TurboEdit or Uberdata (or Crome or Hondata).

I dont see a point in getting your ECU chipped to help the short-comings of 'the Hack'. its evolution, first there was the FMU, then the Hack and now there are better options out there. dont combine some of the new with some of the old when you can just do the latest and greatest for a cheaper price

If you really want to run the Hack just get an MSD BTM and retard timing based on your boost level.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A though I have about fixing the afc hacks ignition problem.. (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It might work </TD></TR></TABLE>

It does work, welcome to two years ago.

http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?t=1978

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you really want to run the Hack just get an MSD BTM and retard timing based on your boost level.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A BTM does nothing to alter the AFC Hack's ignition problems. How do you fix a 15 degree advance at 0 psi, or 10 degree advance at 4 psi, etc, without retarding ignition overly at full boost?

Read for detailed expalination: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=841443

Anyway, if you really think there is a desire for this service, since I originated it, I'm more than happy to sell it. $60 socket/chip/return ship, any custom features like FLT actuated via AC button or 2/3 bar MAP support will be humored, both OBD0 or OBD1 supported. Ask JalopySiR if he liked the MAPhack ECU I did for him - 206 whp at 6 psi on a B20.

All monies collected go to a good cause - ressurecting my poor, dead, turbo CRX; something I currently can't afford to do. It has one of those OBX LSDs in it, and I'm curious if I can break it with my patented abusive driving style; 4th gear burnouts are fun!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A though I have about fixing the afc hacks ignition problem.. (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A BTM does nothing to alter the AFC Hack's ignition problems. How do you fix a 15 degree advance at 0 psi, or 10 degree advance at 4 psi, etc, without retarding ignition overly at full boost?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

True