Notices

AFC won't read boost.. running out of options!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AFC won't read boost.. running out of options!!

Alright for those who haven't been following my saga, I've just boosted my 99 GS-R on the hack using DSM 450's. Now I just got the damn thing to start and idle properly a day or two ago, but just when I thought my problems would finally end... a new one. My AFC will not read more than .23-.25kg/cm2 when i'm boosting 6psi which should read about .45. I've tried just about everything I could think of. I swapped out 3 other MAP sensors, re-wired my AFC, screwed with the settings and anything esle I could think of, but no matter what I do, when I hit the throttle it's .23-.25 while my boost gauge reads 6psi solid and my wastegate with it's 6psi sring is screaming loudly.

I can't for the life of me think of any other reason why this could be, and in my previous experience with the hack on my Civic, the AFC was spot on with my boost gauge as well as a friend of mine and his AFC hack. Any idea on what the hell could be causing this?? BTW , my biggest fear is that the ECU is dependent on the MAP signal to decide on how much fuel to send. Now of the AFC is only reporting 3-3.5psi to the ECU, that leaves me with a major problem if I'm actually pushing 6psi I checked the sensor voltage on the AFC at 6psi and the MAP was showing 3.5v +/-, sound right?? At this point i'm ready to throw my hands in the air with this car, so any help would be apprieciated, thanks!!!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AFC won't read boost.. running out of options!! (VTC_CiViC)

Bump for the day..
Old 08-14-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was just a post on this that said the AFC isn't going to read the accurate amount of boost and that it will read lower.

Edit: here: I have been using my vafc as my boost gauge for a while, set on analog readout. It seems like most mechanical gauges read about 1-2psi higher than the vafc.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:03 AM

U using the same AFC u used on your Civic? Process of elimination.. check ensure your AFC is OK, most likely it is tho. Re-check your wiring? Most problems are much simpler than it seems...

Good luck
Old 08-14-2003, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AFC won't read boost.. running out of options!! (Happyman)

hmm..alot of people are having this same dilemma. I was thinking, what would happen if we ran a vac line from the map sensor and tapped into an existing vac line and just cover up the port the sensor goes into? I was also thinking maybe the O ring that sits between the map and throttle body was shot and thinned out. I dunno...i'm going crazy about this situation to .
Old 08-14-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AFC won't read boost.. running out of options!! (b18b98)

Well it isn't the same AFC I used on the Civic, but it's CivicRyda2k's AFC that he used in his Civic for the hack, so yea it should be reading correct boost.. If you think of it, there's no reason why it shouldn't, I mean it's pickup up vacuum right at the TB...... damn this turbo stuff!!