Notices

smoking problem catch can related - turbo seals may be blown? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoking problem catch can related - turbo seals may be blown? Please help!

Well guys and girls to make a long story short I installed a ebay catch can last night and connected both my valve cover breather and my pcv valve to it. This morning I went out and started my car and let it warm up for about 5-10mins, when I came out I noticed that the exhaust was a little thicker then before and a little blue....i was like hmm wtf.... I took it out and drove it around my nieghborhood and it was roaring out blue smoke really bad. I came back and parked it.....

Unfortunately I didnt recognize at the time that the catch can was a closed design and did not breath into the atmosphere. So I think that this caused my crankcase to become unproperly ventilated and therefore it could have been exposed to positive pressure.

I think this caused my drain line of my turbo to back up and leak out of the seals, which is why it was smoking so bad.

This afternoon I ran it for about 20mins thinking that the oil would just "burn off" but it didnt.....so I took it apart and noticed that on both the intake and exhaust side of the turbo there was oil. More on the exhaust side (leaking out of housing to downpipe flange and also out of downpipe to b-pipe flange....).

I also pulled my plugs and they have a tint of red on them....which i think is from oil too.

Do i need to replace the 'seals' on the turbo? What is your opinion? Any help greatly appreciated
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smoking problem catch can related - turbo seals may be blown? Please help! (InfamousDC2FI)

remove your downpipe and intercooler pipe's. You should be able to see if you have seal leakage.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:35 PM

Default Re: smoking problem catch can related - turbo seals may be blown? Please help! (JDMs1eeper)

yeah theres seal leakage....there was a small pool of oil on the inside of the compressor housing of the turbo and theres definitely oil leaking out the exhaust side.....the thing is I heard that turbo's really dont have 'seals' and that they will only leak when the oil is backed up....maybe i just have to burn the oil off a little more lol...

the turbo was brand new like 2500 miles ago and had timed cool downs after every drive.... I guess if it is the seals it is better then the ringlands or something...

(maybe i should just take this oppurtunity as an excuse to build the motor.... )
Old 05-31-2006, 05:08 AM

Default Re: smoking problem catch can related - turbo seals may be blown? Please help! (InfamousDC2FI)

bump
Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 AM

Could be your turbo, or it could be your rings. I had the same problem, and unfortunately it was my rings. Just something to check after you check out your turbo.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tis the turbo, consider yourself lucky it isnt rings.

do this:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1490117

also remove or hollow at your pcv. Then get a turbo rebuild kit off ebay $35 ish. Should be golden given your ringlands are ok