Notices

Turbo gurus help me out, oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo gurus help me out, oil problem

alright guys I usualy rarely make posts, I search alot and make posts for the meets and such, but I really could use some help on this one. heres the issue, had my da boosted for about a year now, had no problems until a few months ago I redid my exhaust to turbo back no cat, started seeing blown seal evidence minutes after I installed it (meaning i think it has been there but I think the stock cat was hiding it the whole time). With the new unrestricted exhuast i could finally rev closer to redline, I was testing it out seeing blue smoke everytime i let off, so i was like okay blown seals or high pressure no biggie, I turned down the restrictor valve just slightly, minutes later worse smoke and no boost and bent blades. It was used so whatever, then I bought a new turbo. I drove around no problems for about 100 miles then my bro said he saw smoke coming from behind all over again, so i turned the valve down again, then all the sudden the damn brand new turbo went, seems like it was the seals first again and then took the bearing with it, i could smell oil everytime i boosted on the new turbo if that helps diagnosis. Sent it back to garret under warranty hopefully I get a new one no cost. Anyway I want to make sure this stops happening 3 turbos a year is rediculous and really want to enjoy the car, I double checked my return line today and it seems to working perfectly, this seems like definitely an oil problem, theres been speculation that my feedline is too high the first turbo unrestricted saw 70 psi at times and seems unlikely that it was starved seeing how I tested the flow and also blew mad smoke and saw the dp completely filled with oil after the turbo blew (i could be wrong tho) but honestly i dont even know and i just want to be positive quit hoping and guessing at this point because eitherway a new turbo is coming and i dont want this to ever happen again.

heres my setup and we can go from there

return = 10an
feedline = 4an (1/4" ID)
turbo = t25
restrictor = needle valve (turned down low, maybe not low enough or maybe the 4an is just too damn big)

thanks all
Old 08-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo gurus help me out, oil problem (jdecks23)

bump..some help