Notices

The Shodan & Project GHOST!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: The Shodan & Project GHOST!!

Originally Posted by Dee
I did have one that lasted for 9 years and transferred between 4 cars thanks to periodic cleaning and oiling but the pic below shows what almost killed my '08 STi Hatch. This is the same multi-layer filter that you have. Symptoms of failure were all over the map so I decided to just check everything in the car after the second occurrence. First time I thought I had a bad MAF so I gave it proper cleaning and let it air dry for 2 hours. Second occurrence seemed like a bad fuel pump, that is a notorious GRB STi failure, after cleaning the MAF again. Eventually I pulled the air box apart and found the crumbling filter.I cannot find the pics of my friend's RX-7 filter that died but it was a brand new replacement filter, purchased from an authorized HKS dealer, that fell apart 2 months after purchase. He was really OCD about filters, oil changes and detailing the car. I have actually seen quite a few of the HKS filters fail over here. I thought the other failures were flukes until it happened to me.

Caveat: I have no idea how long this filter had been on this pampered 32k km (20k miles) car when I purchased but the previous owner drove the car less than 1200km in a 2 year period. I know this because mileage (km in my case) gets documented between inspections.
Him. One to grow on more, I see. thank you. I'll lb. l now know tip keep an eye out for it.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:21 AM

Now to change the seats. the stock ones fell like riding on a couch.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:12 AM

Yes. I'm actually bumping a thread that is almost 10 years old. But that's how long it took to finally get Project Ghost finally out onto the streets. MY GOD.
IF you guys even care about this anymore, since it's been so long, below is link to a small video, and the parts description is ALMOST the same as on page one, but I'm just glad it's still going.
This was one of the LAST of Spoolin' Performance's manifolds/ hot-parts kits that he made before retiring.

Break-In tune for the VelociRaptor is a scant 8psi with about a 4500rpm redline set to cut boost. No Meth-water has been introduced yet.
The car REALLY needs an alignment, and I think Ghost is in a little bit of a pickle because of the custom wheel choice he made years ago was of an offset that isn't ideal (+35)... But after the break-in mileage we're off to do a full tune at Japanese Automotive.

And yes. Those are genuine Honda CTR EK9 headlight assemblies. ;-),
And Yes.. That is an original HKS Filter. No eBay version at all.
I will say that these cams still sound awesome after all these years. Please enjoy. It's one of the last projects I think I'll be doing for a while.

The Resurrection of Project Ghost
The following 5 users liked this post by TheShodan:
Old 05-24-2022, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Congrats. You guys were working on that forever. Thought he switched to the ultra street manifold for whatever reason. Obviously the car hasnt ran long enough to check for wear from the T1s. But how bout your rockers on the integra. Just curious.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ls joker
Congrats. You guys were working on that forever. Thought he switched to the ultra street manifold for whatever reason. Obviously the car hasnt ran long enough to check for wear from the T1s. But how bout your rockers on the integra. Just curious.
No. Glad he didn't, actually, as that just would have been more work, and for the power to be made, after using a couple of those sets of cams over the years, that manifold isn't much of an upgrade. I see more of a benefit to the NA crowd, IMHO.

Rockers have been fine on mine and a few others for years, and I recently checked mine a coupleof years ago. I'm actually not that concerned about the wear as long as the valve lash was correct.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

That idle sounds so nasty!
Old 05-26-2022, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to hear.

car just needs a drop and some tint.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:39 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

**EDIT**
Oops. I see I already made a comment about the filter. That engine sounds sweet.

Last edited by Dee; 05-31-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

Very good to see progress on the project! It sounds good.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:50 AM

She has to do well. this is one of my last projects forever. Getting older, and want to pursue some other interests. After 20 years even on this forum, you want to end on a High note

1. Still needs alignment badly (more likely the toe in is too severe)
2. Shift linkage bushing and bolt to the shifter need replacement
3. Continue another 500miles of break-in time
4. ensure that the brake pads can hold the power
5. replace the windscreen (if something new still exists for that generation civic)
6.get the right water /meth injection

After that, we can do final tune, get the Recaro seats and be done. I think we can reach the 500whp mark reasonably. But the turbo's oil pressure and oil cooler work Great!

More to come.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:51 AM

Good to hear.

car just needs a drop and some tint.
I wish it could be dropped more, but the owner order the wheels in a +35 offset, using a Falken Azenis 215/45/16 combination. I didn't know that he got a +35 offset, otherwise we could drop it more. I'll see if he's willing to put the other 16" with the proper offset back on for the rest of break-in and tune.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

"proper offset"?

My car sits quite a bit lower with +35 offset and I have untouched fenders. No reason you can't lower that car more.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
"proper offset"?

My car sits quite a bit lower with +35 offset and I have untouched fenders. No reason you can't lower that car more.
So you're also using 215/45/16 Azenis?
Old 06-01-2022, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
No. Glad he didn't, actually, as that just would have been more work, and for the power to be made, after using a couple of those sets of cams over the years, that manifold isn't much of an upgrade. I see more of a benefit to the NA crowd, IMHO.

Rockers have been fine on mine and a few others for years, and I recently checked mine a coupleof years ago. I'm actually not that concerned about the wear as long as the valve lash was correct.

loving this revival of a build thread.

can I ask you if you can provide some close ups of the coolant lines on the turbo? Where it’s returned and where you pick the coolant up from? I’d love a close up just to see how you’ve routed them. Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2022, 08:21 AM

"proper offset"?

Well, the fenders aren't rolled, and will probably need to be, as he scrapes on a few bumps... (we are in an area of America that doesn't do the best to keep its roads smooth. ;-) )
But also, it's time to change suspension. So, TEIN Mono Sports w/ EDFC are on order.

Originally Posted by Luke_V-tec
loving this revival of a build thread.

can I ask you if you can provide some close ups of the coolant lines on the turbo? Where it’s returned and where you pick the coolant up from? I’d love a close up just to see how you’ve routed them. Thanks in advance
I can see what I have. I may need to take more. But we used the B&R water fitting kit, and had an adapter drain plug for the Skunk2 Radiator that he's using.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

If the car still has the Moroso 5 quart oil pan, I’m wondering if it affects ground clearance while driving on the street, or does it just have a kick-out?
Is it the same as this one, or an older/different type?:
https://www.moroso.com/acura-honda-b-series20901/
Old 09-26-2022, 01:47 PM

I believe that although similar, Project Ghost has the Street Moroso.But no, there are no ground clearance issues.
Street Moroso pan

In the meantime. He's getting rid of the Japanese swift spring kit and going with This classic instead using the EDFC Activ. These were ordered in July, and just came in as of Sept 10.. . We are definitely going back to the days of old, when I was used to waiting for parts from Japan, back in 2006.

The Azenis tires will still be used, but the wheels will be removed and possibly sold. There's another set of wheels he has with the correct offset, it's just not worth trying to keep, and possibly damage.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-26-2022, 01:54 PM

"proper offset"?

I forgot to answer this. It's the 215 width tyres with a 35+ that are the main reason why this can't be dropped more. If it were a 45+ offset, he'd be fine.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kinda confused on that tein setup. Hes using another tein kit. Just not with the electronic active dampening stuff?
Old 09-27-2022, 09:42 AM

Kinda confused on that tein setup. Hes using another tein kit. Just not with the electronic active dampening stuff?
No, He had Swift Springs/shock combination from way back in the day. He's now going with the TEIN Mono Sport kit with the EDFC Activ controller.
My apologies if I wasn't clear before..
Old 09-29-2022, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work Mr.S :D
Old 09-30-2022, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, i just went back and reread it. Yea the swift spring are retro lol. I remember i wanted the tein street kit for my Da9 way back in the day.

His car needs a drop bad.

Last edited by ls joker; 09-30-2022 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Early morning grammer
Old 09-30-2022, 06:50 AM

Haha, i just went back and reread it. Yea the swift spring are retro lol. I remember i want the tein street kit for my Da9 way back in the day.

His car needs a drop bad.
I know. The worst part is that it rides as though its Slammed to the ground. I also think that the AZENIS tyres are really old technology and always rode ROUGH..
Old 09-30-2022, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I know. The worst part is that it rides as though its Slammed to the ground. I also think that the AZENIS tyres are really old technology and always rode ROUGH..
Rough lIke they dont really feel like a true 200 or whatever treadwear? I dont believe they were actually r-comps, just an extreme summer tire or whatever marketing term was popular back then.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:01 AM

Rough lIke they dont really feel like a true 200 or whatever treadwear? I dont believe they were actually r-comps, just an extreme summer tire or whatever marketing term was popular back then.
Absolutely. The sidewalls are stiff to say the least. Back then we were younger and could handle the jarring and rattling. Not so much , anymore.