Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   The Shodan & Project GHOST!! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/shodan-project-ghost-2987394/)

TheShodan 10-09-2011 05:34 AM

The Shodan & Project GHOST!!

Hontoo?? Another Project? Hopefully this will make for an interesting project as this will be the last B-series Project for a while. Onto an F2K-series and K-series turbo project next year. Please wish me luck as I document. Edit - 2018. Things change & stay the same....

Teaser.

Stay tuned....

BigMike0147 10-09-2011 06:48 AM

Re: The Shodan & Project GHOST!!

Nice! Casper white!!

Silva Bullit DC4 10-09-2011 08:00 AM

GTX unit, Mac? What's the projected goal?

rich7777 10-09-2011 08:53 AM

That turbo looks FU*KING SICK ! I demand more pictures and info !!! NOW !!! ;)

Gunmetal_B20_Hatch 10-09-2011 10:08 AM

Reaper or GTX?

LS AzZkIkr 10-10-2011 03:37 AM

I cannot wait until I am ready to purchase a Reaper from you! I just hope it's within my budget with what I am doing over the winter...

Turbo-LS 10-10-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by LS AzZkIkr (Post 46157014)
I cannot wait until I am ready to purchase a Reaper from you! I just hope it's within my budget with what I am doing over the winter...

Same here, My car will be getting many upgrades this winter and the reaper is one of them. Mac sold me and its in my budget

j3573r 10-10-2011 06:40 AM

Hello and welcome to my build thread. I have entrusted Mac to take this thread and make it something wonderful like he has done so many times before. As time goes on you will see some very interesting items that I know you will have questions for. I am prepared to answer them as best as possible. I'm sure that Mac will definitely have many technical specs as he always does. Its nice to have someone that I can literally call at anytime of the day and get info and support about my build.

I'm really happy with this build as of the last few weeks. I have had my run-ins with some unlucky gremlins along the way and have found a new "Network" of trusted people. We shall call these lucky people "My Man". "My Man" has knowledge and support like no others. Professional people doing professional jobs all the time and on time. This to me is worth more then the build and the end result.

Originally Posted by BigMike0147 (Post 46152899)
Nice! Casper white!!

Thank you. It was a hard decision to go with white. Its a horrible color to keep clean but the end result is an eye popper.

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC4 (Post 46153084)
GTX unit, Mac? What's the projected goal?

I'm shooting for 504whp. Its a number that I saw on another car on a different platform with my same turbo. Most likely it will not be that but its a goal for now. More then likely I will be around 450.

Originally Posted by rich7777 (Post 46153274)
That turbo looks FU*KING SICK ! I demand more pictures and info !!! NOW !!! ;)

Thank you! Pictures will be on the way. Info is being compiled and a master list will be ready by weeks end.

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch (Post 46153548)
Reaper or GTX?

I like how Mac is calling this a "Reaper".

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 46154192)
This is a GT3584R "Reaper" made from a GT3582R in a .63A/R T31 4 bolt that used an older styled Anti-surge compressor cover. The unit was originally used, and was refurbished to accept the newer wheel. Had I not been able to clip the turbine wheel, it would have been a lost cause.
The GTX is an 11-single bladed setup, while the GT3584R Reaper is a differentiating 6 spoke splitter-bladed design.

I'll give a bit more detail soon, k?

I think that we will have to talk about a new name change to the turbo.

Thanks for the comments. Please ask questions. If you don't ask, then who will?

j3573r 10-10-2011 06:43 AM

Just a tiny little small update. I picked up the motor yesterday. OMG it's sex on an engine stand. I mocked up the manifold, turbo and downpipe. We snapped a few picks and did a small video. Your going to have to wait for Mac to upload them as he used his cameras.

Casey 10-10-2011 07:55 AM

isnt the gt series the gt series because of the exhaust wheel? is that just a really old gt35 before they had their own exhaust wheel?

what does clipping the exhaust wheel accomplish? i know dsm guys used to do it back in the day, havent heard of people doing it recently

tepid1 10-10-2011 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 46157830)
isnt the gt series the gt series because of the exhaust wheel? is that just a really old gt35 before they had their own exhaust wheel?

what does clipping the exhaust wheel accomplish? i know dsm guys used to do it back in the day, havent heard of people doing it recently

Bigger flow little package.

Mac is the man! You went to the right guy to get shit done. Just be careful of that crazy english bastard over there. lol

LightningTeg 10-10-2011 08:36 AM

So it is a ball bearing unit then?

Casey 10-10-2011 08:44 AM

its got coolant ports on the chra so its a bb unit from what i can tell.

i thought thats what clipping did, just havent looked into it much at all

rich7777 10-10-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by tepid1 (Post 46158014)
Bigger flow little package.

Mac is the man! You went to the right guy to get shit done. Just be careful of that crazy english bastard over there. lol

What english bastard lol ? me ?

TheShodan 10-10-2011 09:16 AM

The initial "Video" of the engine when he picked up the engine is pictured below. under the video are the specifications of the engine. Please note that not all parts me neither recommended by me or J3573r. This was from the previous "builder" before going to Autowerks Motorsport. J3573r decided to just keep what he had an not try to resell and change out.

This project was put on the back-burner for a while because of the fact that the engine needed to be inspected and cleared by Autowerks chief mechanic Andy N. He found several issues that would have proven catastrophic if not at least costly had he not performed this inspection. Once this check was performed, he completed assembly.

Specifications of the engine. Please note, some of these parts are controversial and not of our original design
B18C1 - Engine Block
*PROBE PISTONS -81.5mm 10.47:1 Stock sleeves
*PROBE RODS- similar to Eagles
*ACL Bearings using a micrometer to confirm measurements
*ARP Head studs
*ARP mains
*ARP Rod bolts for PROBE rod replacement
*ARP Crank pulley, clutch & Flywheel Bolts
*OEM GS-R Crank 87.2mm
*OEM P72 Head Gasket
*MOROSO 5QT Oil Pan
*Gates High Tension Timing Belt
*OEM GS-R 22T Water Pump
*OEM GS-R Oil Pump
*B&R Fittings Catch can and water line kit
*Clutchmasters FX400 -
*EXEDY 12lbs Flywheel

Cylinder Head
*GSC T1 Camshafts 1-25-2013
*TODA RACING CAM GEARS
*SUPERTECH FULL VALVETRAIN (DR Series)
*SUPERTECH Flat-top NITRITE-TREATED VALVES
*SUPERTECH VALVEGUIDES
*"3-Angle" Valvejob
*Skunk2 Alpha 70mm TB
*OmniPower 4bar Map Sensor
*OEM TPS sensor
*SKUNK2 PRO1 Intake Manifold
*BDL Fuel Rail
*BDL Cam Seal
*BDL Fuel Pressure Regulator
Forced Induction Components
*Spoolin' Performance Quick4 AC Exhaust manifold
*Spoolin' Performance 3" 4 Bolt Downpipe
*TiAL 38mm MV-S Wastegate 11.75psi wastegate spring
*TURBONETICS "Godzilla" Blow off Valve
*Go-Autowerks 2.5" Intercooler Piping -
*Garrett Single Back Door 20 x 10.5 x 3 Intercooler Anodized

Turbocharger
*STC TR3030R "VelociRaptor" Turbocharger
*T31 2.5" 4 bolt turbine housing .63A/R turbine housing

TheShodan 10-10-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 46158139)
its got coolant ports on the chra so its a bb unit from what i can tell.

i thought thats what clipping did, just havent looked into it much at all

Water ports can be used on some Journal bearing versions as well. Its part of a telltale sign, but not definitive.

TheShodan 10-10-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by rich7777 (Post 46158187)
What english bastard lol ? me ?

No, STC's Peter MacFarlene.

Turbo-LS 10-10-2011 09:50 AM

Interesting manifold, Is that angle of the center section ok? i know there is a certain degree before its an issue just nto sure how much.

TheShodan 10-10-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS (Post 46158541)
Interesting manifold, does it clear a/c compressor? Is that angle of the center section ok? i know there is a certain degree before its an issue just nto sure how much.

That's the purpose of the Quick4 A/C ;)

Turbo-LS 10-10-2011 09:59 AM

i re-read the build list and saw that LOL

TheShodan 10-10-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS (Post 46158605)
i re-read the build list and saw that LOL

:thumbup: No worries.. All in good fun.

rich7777 10-10-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 46158388)
No, STC's Peter MacFarlene.

Silly me, i thought he might have read something i posted up. I didnt quite get the "over there bit"... So now i know how you know what real "crisps" are :P . He,he,he...

Did it cost a lot to get that intercooler anodized if you don't mind me asking ?

TheShodan 10-10-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by rich7777 (Post 46159078)
Silly me, i thought he might have read something i posted up. I didnt quite get the "other there bit"... So now i know how you know what real "crisps" are :P . He,he,he...

Did it cost a lot to get that intercooler anodized if you don't mind me asking ?

The mishimotos are really difficult to anodize because they have an epoxy-like film (I guess to help keep its shine). We have them anodized at a military contracted facility (where they do a lot of anodizing for M4 Magazines and barrels), and they had a b!tch of a time getting that stuff off. In the end it was more expensive to do the Mishimotos than say, a good Garrett or Spearco core that hasn't been treated. The Mishimotos I'd say about $160, the Garretts are about $100. But they must be immaculately clean before the anodizer would consider it.

Here's an example of one of the Garrett ones done
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/IMAG0186.jpg

rich7777 10-10-2011 12:11 PM

Thanks for the info & picture. I'll bear that in mind if i ever want it done. How well do those Mishimoto intercooler work compared to a Garrett equivalent ? I'm going to need a better intercooler for the forged block that i'm building i think. I'll pm you sometime in the future about that though if you don't mind.

TheShodan 10-10-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by rich7777 (Post 46159372)
Thanks for the info & picture. I'll bear that in mind if i ever want it done. How well do those Mishimoto intercooler work compared to a Garrett equivalent ? I'm going to need a better intercooler for the forged block that i'm building i think. I'll pm you sometime in the future about that though if you don't mind.

I've always considered the Garrett a superior part in terms of flow capacity and need. The Mishimoto looks as though they've changed from a tube/fin design to a better bar/plate design that almost rivals Spearco. However, I can't say that they are better for everything. It depends upon the application and budget that people have. For J3573r, he's fine with what he has. I like them better than any CX racing or other tube/fin Intercooler that's within the same price range as the Mishimoto.